• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Those of us that are old enough to have been at least a young adult when Ronald Reagan was POTUS remember when he announced the "Star Wars" initiative. This was basically a space-based missile defense system. After it was announced, it bounced around the news cycle for a while - often getting derision from the communist news corps. But after that.... crickets. So... I'm wondering. Is the reason that we haven't heard about it is opsec? I see information that Bill Klintoon scrapped the program in 1993. Do you think that the scrapping might have been a ruse and they actually developed it and it is in place right now? If it is, we may not know about it but I am sure that our adversaries do. It is sure looking like genius at work now...

So what do ya'll think? Yes we have it or no we don't?
    Lynx Defense

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Detection system is based in space but defense / attack system in terrestrial. That's what hypersonic delivery systems are for.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I'm going to assume that we have developed and deployed "Attack" satellites in both geosynchronous orbit and lower orbit planes, that are positional and have projectiles that can disable other satellites. This is purely speculation though.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You should read the wiki article on it. It's pretty complete for non-classified info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Defense_Initiative
    ...and no it didn't go away under Clinton. Just changed a bit.

There is some cool stuff developed by the initiative, but there's also a whole industry whose model is to pitch outlandish shit to government agencies and capture as much money as possible. Results aren't required.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    There was some talk on a TV show that the US military actually has its own space station. It has been manned since the late '80s.
    He attempted prove it was there by visually identifying it as a streak, the glint from the sun as it passes overhead near dusk. His claim was that there was not any object in a recorded orbit where he was pointing.

There certainly was a few military Shuttle missions. and the X-37. Who really knows?

My thought is that if we have one, Russia and China also have one. That is why no one is talking...

Top Bottom