• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Been looking to buy my first hardtail, entry level real mountain bike.
    I'm 6'7" and currently loosing 1-3 lbs a week with no exercise but I'm still 320lbs with a goal of dropping down to 260.So I want to get somthing that will do well on rugged trails or on road for someone of my size/weight.

I'm leaning toward the Specialized Hardrock 29er XXL (23") frame. ($580)

But I am also considering the Diamondback Overdrive 29er but have only found them in a L (20") frame. ($550) but I think they are offered in a 21-22" frame.

Price point is just below my $600 limit on both bikes. Only real difference is the specialized has Shimano mechanical cable pull disc brakes, and the Diamondback has hydraulic.I want hydraulic, but if Specialized is the better bike I can always upgrade brakes for $100 or so after I get a few trails under my belt.Was also looking at the Trek Marlin online, but didn't see any at the bike shop yesterday :/.
    Venture Surplus ad

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I ride a Trek 7300 but there is little difference in the quality bikes. Some swear by one brand over another but the TRUTH is that they may have been built in the SAME factory!

I had an article that described where each brand was made but couldn't locate it. The results were very surprising! Almost everything is made in China. They are still great bikes, however.

The Waterford is a custom bike that is still hand made in the US.

If you want a road bike, I have a hand made USA Cannondale road bike ($2000) that I bought for $500. It is the real deal! The frame is just too tall for me at 6'1". It's a beauty and the hand made USA Cannondales are very rare today! The rider lived down the road from me and he passed away. I bought the bike from his widow.

Flash

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Looking strictly at Mountain Bikes. I plan to trail rid mostly with the occasional ride around the block with the wife.

Thanks for the info, I actually found a Diamond Back 29er xl and a Trek x caliber 6 29er xl in my price range while out looking today.

Now the Trek is my top pic, but a few more bucks at $670.

Last edited:

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I was a bike tech for sports authority for a year and a half. I also have a specialized P2, 2004 model. I used to heavily ride, every day. Big air, 10 foot flat drops, etc etc. Specialized ALL the way, diamonback doesn't even compare. That brand had the most returns and brings in for fixing than any other brand combined, and these were high dollar bikes, too.

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Diamondback and Raleigh are owned by Derby Cycle. My choice would be Specialized. I own a Stumpjumper Comp MTB and an Allez Elite road bike.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Specialized. I've had several brands over the years and for me, this has been the best bike. They are reasonably priced and the quality is great. I've owened 3 of them and I have never had a problem with any of them.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Specialized over Diamondback, but I prefer Trek. None of them are USA built anymore so look at the quality of the components and find the one that fits you best.

Top Bottom