• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Amazing reading respected journals. newspapers, computer things that there are so many mis-spelled words!!!! Is it our schools? With other developments, it appears we are heading for the DARK AGES.
    Capitol Armory ad

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    interesting yall are talking about spelling. Ive been noticing this same occurrence. I was home schooled, English and Spelling was stressed each and everyday(still is). Helps when your Mom and Aunt are English teachers.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Unfortunately, it's not an unusual occurrence. It even happens on this forum; that and the lack of proper punctuation and grammar. I am distressed that some folks don't know the difference between "their", "they're" and "there", or "sight" and "site", or "brake" and "break".

Even the proceeding post from County Boy has a grammatical error. Can you find it? :(

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Even the proceeding post from County Boy has a grammatical error. Can you find it? :(

Even the critics are victims. It was Country_Boy with an 'r', not County Boy. I won't claim to be grammatically correct, as anyone could go back to many of my posts and find errors. However, some people take more time than others to be proper.

My wife is a good example of a poor speller. She has dyslexia, so in a forum such as ours, she may come across as less educated or intelligent. She is educated, successful, and intelligent. Her oral speaking skills are great, but in a media such as this, she does not come across as well. You could pick on her for spelling, but it would not be polite since she is neither lazy or careless. She would not feel welcome if we are going to have 'grammar police'. As a matter of fact, she doesn't really care for forums just because nearly every one has a grammar cop. It is fine until someone disagrees with her opinion on something, rather than explain their view, it is easier to pick on her for spelling errors.

That, though, is different from someone who doesn't take the time or is too lazy to get most of their words correct.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I do not want to institute the grammar police as well, but this forum does have rules about the proper use of the English language, which some members seem to ignore on a frequent basis. It makes it very difficult to figure out what the heck they are expressing when everything is in lower case and there is no punctuation.

Excuse me for missing the "r" in Country Boy. At least that was a typo and not a misuse of the English language.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I do agree with you that people should be conscious of their punctuation, spelling, and use of terms. It helps us understand what they are trying to convey. I particularly dislike the gang-banger lingo, but those posters are wonderfully rare on our forum.

I don't like to see an ambiguous jumble of words that is completely confusing as to their point or meaning. I only wanted to interject that sometimes it is not necessarily a lack of energy, will, or intent when someone isn't a good speller. I was adding another point of view that is probably irrelevant to 99.9% of the posts on here.

I knew your missing 'r' was a typo. I was just picking a bit since it was in a sentence regarding grammar.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    My concern is that we're mostly discussing firearms and related subjects, i.e. reloading, gunsmithing, etc. on this forum. It may be a little anal, but this is on the one place that accuracy (no pun intended) should count especially if someone is giving advice in those areas.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    lol county_boy... The question remains which county could it be?

If your talking about the lack of comma's and or the word yall and or not capitalizing the first letter in my sentence, Im guess'n?? ;) I try to use the exact English, when I type. I am a redneck after all, im also a little dyslexic, I stutter when I talk and a young'n at that.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    For the most part, I try to keep my spelling and grammar correct (although I definitely make mistakes). It doesn't bother me when I read something with bad spelling, as long as I can still easily make out what the person is saying. I have more of a problem with the blatant errors where someone just doesn't seem to care and you have to spend 5 minutes to decode their post (not that I've seen too much of that here). Then again, I'm still trying to figure out all of the acronyms.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    For the most part, I try to keep my spelling and grammar correct (although I definitely make mistakes). It doesn't bother me when I read something with bad spelling, as long as I can still easily make out what the person is saying. I have more of a problem with the blatant errors where someone just doesn't seem to care and you have to spend 5 minutes to decode their post (not that I've seen too much of that here). Then again, I'm still trying to figure out all of the acronyms.

I agree with this.

>> So, everyone be honest, am I the only person triple checking my grammar before hitting the submit button for responding in this thread?

Top Bottom