• ...and so much more!
  • TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    SPAM. Love it or hate it, its still an interesting site.

"...the pork and ham are pre-ground..."
    First thought; isn't "pork" and "ham" kinda the same thing?
    Second thought; No, "pork" is the rest of the pig; what's remaining after the "ham."
    ... But no worries. The ingredients are not too different from a delicious hotdog; snouts, tails, and EVERYTHING in between.

Lynx Defense

Sand Hills

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Seguin
    ...The ingredients are not too different from a delicious hotdog; snouts, tails, and EVERYTHING in between.

My mother was born in 1919, grew up on a farm in Missouri with 10 other kids plus maw and paw. They grew most of what they ate.

She told me you can eat every part of the pig except the oink. :green: When I was growing up she would bring home pig brains from the store and fry them up. Offered me some, but no thanks mom. She would tease me about it, but from her story telling I realized she got off the farm as fast as she could when she grew up.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I hated it as a kid. I have tried to at least like it as an adult (or be comfortable eating it) - the last attempt was thanks to TheWolffPit on YouTube (he's a big spam lover, and does some interesting things with it) - but I just can't. I'll stock canned fish and chicken as prepper food, or the pouches of shredded beef from Costco. SPAM is a last-ditch food stuff for me.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My mother had to work hard to stretch the food budget. Spam was a treat for us. When the power was down from the last hurricane, those Spam sandwiches fried on the Coleman stove were a really tasty!

I can remember spending hours helping to grind up the remains of a ham or roast. Mom made a dough and spread the meat on it, then rolled it up and cut it in slices, so that it was meat and dough in a spiral. Those were baked and served with gravy. My Dad was the rare GI who liked SOS, so we had that fairly often. We used to get something called "City Chicken", which I think was some kind of pork on a skewer. Mom had a recipe for Salisbury Steaks that was pretty much like eating the sole of a shoe with tomato sauce. It may not have been much, but you chewed more than any 10 course meal would have you do. Leftover mashed potatoes were fried into potato pancakes. The dog got table scraps, not his own food. It was a wonder he didn't starve. My Dad insisted that the heels of the bread were the best part. They're not, but they didn't go to waste. A jar of canned tomatoes heated up with a little sugar and salt, plus chunks of any bread that was going stale became part of dinner. Dad was also fond of peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Some years ago while he was visiting one of my sisters, she took him to a Smoothie shop that she took her kids all the time. He got interested in being able to have a custom mixture in a smoothie, so he had them make one with peanut butter and bananas. What a terrible decision! The banana blended in just fine, but the peanut butter chopped up super fine and sort of froze. It was like trying to drink a milkshake with sand mixed in.

So, yeah, Spam is high on my food list.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    My mother had to work hard to stretch the food budget. Spam was a treat for us. When the power was down from the last hurricane, those Spam sandwiches fried on the Coleman stove were a really tasty!

I can remember spending hours helping to grind up the remains of a ham or roast. Mom made a dough and spread the meat on it, then rolled it up and cut it in slices, so that it was meat and dough in a spiral. Those were baked and served with gravy. My Dad was the rare GI who liked SOS, so we had that fairly often. We used to get something called "City Chicken", which I think was some kind of pork on a skewer. Mom had a recipe for Salisbury Steaks that was pretty much like eating the sole of a shoe with tomato sauce. It may not have been much, but you chewed more than any 10 course meal would have you do. Leftover mashed potatoes were fried into potato pancakes. The dog got table scraps, not his own food. It was a wonder he didn't starve. My Dad insisted that the heels of the bread were the best part. They're not, but they didn't go to waste. A jar of canned tomatoes heated up with a little sugar and salt, plus chunks of any bread that was going stale became part of dinner. Dad was also fond of peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Some years ago while he was visiting one of my sisters, she took him to a Smoothie shop that she took her kids all the time. He got interested in being able to have a custom mixture in a smoothie, so he had them make one with peanut butter and bananas. What a terrible decision! The banana blended in just fine, but the peanut butter chopped up super fine and sort of froze. It was like trying to drink a milkshake with sand mixed in.

My mother used to make "city chicken" as well. I think she took a cheap roast and cut it up. Her Salisbury steak was cubed steak smothered in brown gravy,

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I love cupboard hash.
    Fry up a can of diced potatoes, chopped onion, a can of sliced carrots, diced spam and a can of seasoned cabbage.
    Mm, mm, good.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

I can remember spending hours helping to grind up the remains of a ham or roast. Mom made a dough and spread the meat on it, then rolled it up and cut it in slices, so that it was meat and dough in a spiral. Those were baked and served with gravy. My Dad was the rare GI who liked SOS, so we had that fairly often. We used to get something called "City Chicken", which I think was some kind of pork on a skewer. Mom had a recipe for Salisbury Steaks that was pretty much like eating the sole of a shoe with tomato sauce. It may not have been much, but you chewed more than any 10 course meal would have you do. Leftover mashed potatoes were fried into potato pancakes. The dog got table scraps, not his own food. It was a wonder he didn't starve. My Dad insisted that the heels of the bread were the best part. They're not, but they didn't go to waste. A jar of canned tomatoes heated up with a little sugar and salt, plus chunks of any bread that was going stale became part of dinner.

Growing up we had tornados & snow storms that knocked out the power. My dad worked @ an Army Ammunition Plant & would get stranded @ work. He & everyone @ the place had stashes of can goods & bedding. They most would get snowed in with drifting snow.

If it was good enough for dad to eat & work on it damn well be good enough for home. He liked & cooked SOS when mom wasn't home to cook. I still like it & eat it! Mell I'd eat potted meat on saltines if I was hungry.

The canned tomatoes with stale bread is actually pretty good if prepared the way Italians do it with fresh basil, olive oil & the right rustic bread toasted. I learned to be frugal with food. I freeze stale & bread ends for bread pudding. Made with diced apple & cran raisins it's a decent breakfast or desert in my eyes.

A lot of us forget or never learned the hardships of America before WWII! My dad grew up the youngest of 7 kids. After his father died they had to leave the farm for the city. There was no welfare or food panties & food banks. There was no Free Shit Army either! My dad dropped out of high school to go off 2 WWII. Only one uncle who worked for the RR didn't go. The old man went because it was far better then what he had going on @ the time.

When he got out he did what most other GI's did, raise a family. I've said it before my dad went to night school get get his diploma. Christmas & birthdays were more about cloths then toys. People passed down clothes & toys. My first bike came off of the curb during junk week. I was taught how to build & maintain my bike! America didn't not have all the disposable shit we have today! Eating a nickel hamburger @ McDonald's was a big deal, & getting a burger or hot dog on the way home from the strip mines after swimming was an even bigger deal. Gardens were very common. A full cut round steak fed a family of 5. We got a salad canned corn & another canned veggie with every meal.

I don't blame people who have kids wanting more for their kids then they had! It's what drove our economy for years. Somewhere in the 60's when the commies started infiltrating our society thru Hollyweird, unions & education was the start of our demise.

Top Bottom