• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Dad bought a sporterized 1917 "American Enfield" (I think that's the right name) for $350 over the weekend, and lo and behold, I'm stuck trying to figure out if he got ripped off.

From what I can tell, the rifle is 65% or better. The sights have been removed and the receiver drilled/tapped for a scope mount, and the original stock/furniture has been replaced with a Bishop sporter stock (which apparently goes for $175 new and unfinished on the Macon Gunstocks website). Finish is worn in quite a few spots, but there's literally no rust on the rifle whatsoever.

Plain and simple, did I inadvertently **** my dad over by telling him to go ahead on the buy without seeing the gun? If so, how badly? And if not, how good of a deal did he get?
    Hurley's Gold

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It's hard to say.
    Sported military rifles can be done well and then not so much.
    A well done Sporter '17 is worth about what you paid.
    If your Pop likes the gun and it shoots well, call it good and be happy.
    They're good, solid, heavy duty rifles and will last generations.
    About the only weakness they have is the ejector spring. It is known to break. Easily replaced.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Look up the history of the 1917 enfield. It was more common than the 03 springer in wwI, IIRC. The rear sights had big ears protecting them. Operational note: it cocks on closing -- not opening. This allows you to store it without dry firing it. Simply hold the trigger while closing the bolt.

Once upon a time I had a star gauged one. extremely accurate...National Match accurate. Most of them were made by Remmington I think. Eddystone was a federal arsenal that made quite a few of them. I think I paid around $50 for mine in the 1960s at Hodgdons in Shawnee Kansas.

Bulldog7906

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    San Antonio
    I brother had two sporterized ones. One in 30-06 and another chambered in 7mm. I wish I had one in original form. I see a lot of 303s around never a 1917 Endlfield "Dough Boy"

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends." John 15:13 NKJV

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The 1917 U.S. Enfield rifle was a war time modification of the British Pattern 1914 rifle.
    The Brits, recognizing the superiority of the Mauser type action, wanted to switch over from the Lee-Enfield type action and designed the Pattern 1913 rifle. The P-13 was originally chambered in a then new .276 Enfield caliber. Ballistically very similar to our present day 7mm-08.
    Along came WW1 and they went to war with what they had(No.1 MkIII) in .303. The P-13 was re-designed to chamber the .303 Brit. and renamed the Pattern 1914.
    With British industry fully dedicated to war production of the No.1 rifle, the new P-14 rifle was contracted to Winchester, Remington,and Eddystone for production.
    Eddystone was a subsidiary of Remington.
    When the U.S. entered WW1 the rifle was again re-designed for the U.S. .30-06 cartridge and renamed the Model 1917 U.S. Enfield.
    By wars end the M1917 had surpassed the Springfield 1903 in numbers produced and actual combat use.
    Production ended at the end of the war.
    After the war the M1903 was chosen as the standard U.S. military rifle and the M1917 went surplus and was phased out.
    Some very limited use occurred during WW2, mostly stateside guard duty,etc.
    Eddystone are the most common, followed by Remington,then Winchester. The collector types get all wet over Winchesters but they are NOT a better rifle. They are all "mil-spec".
    The Eddystone rifles are known to crack receivers when Bubba tries to change barrels. Check carefully when considering buying if one has an aftermarket barrel(like many sporters do). If its the original military barrel you should be good to go. Check the barrel date up by the front sight. If original it will be 1917 or 1918. There are WW2 dated barrels too.
    A lot of the 1917 actions were/are used by custom gunsmiths to make large, heavy caliber custom rifles due to the strength of the actions.
    Parts are available to convert to cock on opening but it isn't really needed.

Jeffrey

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    First, PICTURES!!!!

Second, I'm going to be the daisy here, and question the idea that the mouser is a better action than the Enfield.

Bulldog7906

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    San Antonio
    There are pictures of troops on Normandy carrying the 1917

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends." John 15:13 NKJV

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    M1917s in original condition go for close to 600. Typically in the eyes of collectors 150 is usually the max for a sporter. You will never get your money back unless all guns go up a lot. The M1917 is one of if not the best designed bolt action rifles ever in my opinion. If it is useful it may have been worth it for you, but in monetary terms I'd say you overpaid by 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There are pictures of troops on Normandy carrying the 1917
    From Wikipedia (so no guarantees on accuracy):

For battle purpose, the Danish Slædepatruljen Sirius still use the M1917 as the service weapon due to high reliably of the bolt-action rifles in harsh conditions.

And just to go OT, as I am wont to do, I found the Wikipedia article on the Sirius Patrol more interesting than the one on the rifle they carry. It starts:

Slædepatruljen Sirius (Sirius Sledge Patrol) or informally Siriuspatruljen (Sirius Patrol) is a unique elite Danish navy unit that conducts long-range reconnaissance patrolling, and enforces Danish sovereignty in the Arctic wilderness of Northern and Eastern Greenland, an area that includes the largest national park in the world.[SUP][1][/SUP] Patrolling is usually done in pairs, sometimes for four months and often without additional human contact.

The Sirius Patrol has the ability to engage militarily, and has done so historically. Unlike other military units, however, the Sirius Patrol is not expected to engage in combat operations. Its purpose is solely to maintain Danish sovereignty and police the area of responsibility.[SUP][2][/SUP] The physical and psychological demands for acceptance into the unit are exceptional. Crown Prince Frederik patrolled with the Sirius Patrol.[SUP][3][/SUP]

Apparently the rifle being discussed in this thread is one seriously tough piece of gear.

Bulldog7906

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    San Antonio
    Correct about no guarantees on Wikipedia, but the Normandy information came out of an American Rifleman magazine

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Correct about no guarantees on Wikipedia, but the Normandy information came out of an American Rifleman magazine
    Just so I'm clear, what I was trying to say was "I find your statement completely believable, especially in light of the apparent fact that the rifle is still in use by some military units even today."

Bulldog7906

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2014
    San Antonio
    Oh ok sorry missed read it. Ya Wikipedia said it saw service all the way up to beginning of Vietnam

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    M17's were used all over the world.
    The US gave 100's of thousands of them away.
    Somewhere I've seen pictures of them being used in the Philippines during WW2 and much later during the unpleasantness in Vietnam, etc.

They are a good solid rifle.
    What gets me is the weight. A standard issue M1917, loaded out with ammo, sling and bayonet is a beast!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Why worry about the cost of the rifle, now? Shoot it, enjoy it and try to imagine the places it has been! Your price isn't outrageous for a functioning rifle. There will always be those "ghost' rifles....perfect and with mint bores that "someone" saw for $100. Disregard that crap and don't sweat it!

Flash

Top Bottom