• ...and so much more!
  • itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I miss the old camp 9 carbines. Those are neat. I hadn't really thought about 9mm carbine options lately. There really isn't anything out there that gets my eye now a days. The keltec and hi point are pretty cheaply made. And the Beretta looks all futuristic. Someone needs to produce a high quality carbine in 9mm. A 9mm ar doesn't count.
    Gun Zone Deals

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I have been wishing for an affordable .357 sig carbine for years. The simple blowback actions of the hi point or keltec just can't handle it.There have been a few custom one off AR conversions, and The Sig MPX looks awesome, but at 2 grand, who can afford it?I wonder if Keltec could adapt their hybrid floating blowback system to work at .357 sig pressures? Furthermore, I wonder if it could even work with a bottleneck cartridge.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I miss the old camp 9 carbines. Those are neat. I hadn't really thought about 9mm carbine options lately. There really isn't anything out there that gets my eye now a days. The keltec and hi point are pretty cheaply made. And the Beretta looks all futuristic. Someone needs to produce a high quality carbine in 9mm. A 9mm ar doesn't count.

Ruger briefly made a version in 9mm that took the same magazines as a P85/P89. Neat gun, looked like an upscaled 10/22 except for the obvious pistol mag sticking out of it. Always wanted one of those.

I honestly don't know why Marlin doesn't still make the camp carbine. I've heard nothing but praise for them.

From what I understand, the Hi-Point Carbines are actually pretty good, just not pretty. It's a shame the only options these days are the Hi-Points or the Beretta's. Really cheap or way too pricey for what it does. I like the Kel-Tecs but they seem to be ghosts and lots of quality control issues.

Taurus could have a winner here but they seem to be doing everything wrong with it.
    Too expensive
    Uglier than a Hi-Point
    Limited Ammo Capacity and Proprietary Magazine
    Taurus reputation for quality (who knows, these might be alright if anyone buys it)

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Ruger briefly made a version in 9mm that took the same magazines as a P85/P89. Neat gun, looked like an upscaled 10/22 except for the obvious pistol mag sticking out of it. Always wanted one of those.
    Gunbroker currently has one on auction - the Ruger PC9. Would be an interesting companion to my ugly ass P85. Bid current at $655.

smee78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    I built my 9mm AR years ago for about $600, no way I would plunk out $800 for a Taurus.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Saw a Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm today at a gunshow.
    Beat up to death. No mags with it. Only $900.
    I'll keep my Storm CX4 carbine thank you.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    If you have a dedicated Glock or 1911 lower there is always this option. My friend has one for a G20 lower. 15rds of 10mm out of a 16 inch barrel is quite a round. He hunts with it. Kills deer and hogs dead.
    MechTech - Home
    glock_full_full.jpg

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    The glock upper is nice but the only lower I have is my g17. I shoot it more than anything so I'm not using that lower. I do remember the Ruger carbines. I wonder why they never really took off?
    I do not have a can so whether or not there barrel is threaded doesn't matter to me. Seems the cx4 is my top choice right now. Although I want something a little more traditional. The citadel sounds nice. I want one with a side folding stock.

CrankyBuddha

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Houston, TX
    If you have a dedicated Glock or 1911 lower there is always this option. My friend has one for a G20 lower. 15rds of 10mm out of a 16 inch barrel is quite a round. He hunts with it. Kills deer and hogs dead.
    MechTech - Home
    Are these legal? Seems like you just converted a pistol to an SBR...
    -Cranky

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yes, but you have to have a dedicated lower. It's a full 16 inch barrel not an SBR. Once a rifle, always a rifle. Although I won't tell if you don't.
    I respectfully disagree.

After the Thompson/Contender case, the ATF issued letter ruling 2011-4 that generalized the findings of that court to all pistols converted to rifles converted back to pistols. Specifically, from the ruling:

...a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).

The whole ruling is a tough read but basically it says that if you have a pistol, the short barrel that comes with the pistol, a buttstock, and a long barrel then you can assemble a rifle or assemble a pistol and go back and forth. Just don't lose the long barrel and put the pistol, short barrel, and buttstock together without paying taxes and asking "Mother, may I?" first.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I respectfully disagree.

After the Thompson/Contender case, the ATF issued letter ruling 2011-4 that generalized the findings of that court to all pistols converted to rifles converted back to pistols. Specifically, from the ruling:

The whole ruling is a tough read but basically it says that if you have a pistol, the short barrel that comes with the pistol, a buttstock, and a long barrel then you can assemble a rifle or assemble a pistol and go back and forth. Just don't lose the long barrel and put the pistol, short barrel, and buttstock together without paying taxes and asking "Mother, may I?" first.

Good to know. Thanks for posting that. makes it sound even better to have if you ask me.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    The problem with the conversion on the Glock or 1911 lower is that overall you are still out for more than the price of a CX4.

It's a little surprising that you can't find a decent pistol caliber carbine that doesn't cost about what you'd pay for a lower end AR, unless you go Hi-Point but then you hit other limitations. It's a weird niche of the firearms world for sure.

Top Bottom