• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • commandernavi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Houston
    I urgently need advice on a spotting scope to get. I am attempting to get something that is capable of discerning .30 cal holes up to as far as 600 yards as humanly possible (I know that this is very hard even for the top-notch spotting scopes), but I definitely want something to work well to 300-400 yards.

Unfortunately my budget isn't super high. I don't want to spend over 200 dollars, so please help me out with finding the best option possible in this price range.

I say urgently because I am going to be shooting at ranges between 200-400 this weekend and would really love to pick something up before then.

Also, if you can provide details on where to buy this in Houston, Tx, I would be very appreciative! Thanks!

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Thanks. I will take a look at it, but it is still a bit over my price range. Is it significantly better than these Barskas? They seem to have solid reviews.

Amazon.com: BARSKA Blackhawk 20-60x60 Waterproof Straight Spotting Scope w/ Tripod, Soft Carry Case & Premium Hard Case: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope: Sports & Outdoors

Look around. You can find the Konus for $30.00 less I'd bet. If not look at the vortex nomad.

Don't buy a barska and think you'd see what you want.

Or get this konus: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/79...pod-photo-adapter-and-soft-case-armored-green

Last edited:

commandernavi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Houston
    That's a shame. Is there anything about the Barska that is lacking in particular? The Konus seems to have worse reviews than the blackhawk on midway and I don't understand what's causing that. Any thoughts?

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    I have the entry level Leupold. I think it is rated at 40x, but is much clearer than my junk 60x barska. They had an eye exam chart in the rafters at Cabela's and I was able to try every scope in stock one day. The Leupold was the only in that price range able to read the bottom row of letters. I can see .30 holes with it at 300 all the time. .223 out to 200 all the time, 300 yards the sun has to be behind me.

CS_TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Tomball area
    Don't think 600 will happen at that price.

300-400 yards check out Konus brand. May not work but is the best glass for the budget.

Konus Spotting Scope 20-60x 80mm Tripod Photo Adapter Soft Case

I have one of the Konus 20-60x 80 scopes. IMHO it's the best scope on the market in it's price range. I think Midway has the 100MM version on sale.

ETA: Didn't see that the Konus was out of your price range. As far as the Barska scopes go...I bought a Barska as my first spotting scope and it was complete junk. The glass sucked and the focus was crap. I would stay away from Barska.

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Ya, we were asked for a scope around $200 and I gave the best for the budget, and could most likely see at 300 yards.

Then the OP wants to buy a Barska.

I'm out of this thread. My advice can go to anyone who wants to see this in the archive especially when the OP can't see crap with his $60.00 scope.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've got a barska. Get anything but. Really. It sits in the cabinet, I'd rather walk the distance than struggle to see through it!

commandernavi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Houston
    I dont want to buy a Barska... I was simply asking about them... They have good reviews on amazon and midway which are even higher than Konusand I wanted input as to why. I haven't looked through either and know that online reviews are often skewed which is why I value your input.

Teegreen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Kingwood
    to see 30 cal holes at 600 yards you need to be working in the 100x range...in order to get clarity (function of primary dia. for light gathering and glass quality you will be in the 100-150mm range ...might be able to find something a bit south of $1000..but not much.

300-400 yards is much easier...something in a good 60x with 100mm primary should work....

Again....magnification is meaningless with a properly sized primary and quality glass

commandernavi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Houston
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will now definitely not be getting a Barska, and the Konus scopes do indeed look very good. Most of the low reviews were for receiving the scope damaged which is a result of bad packaging and can be fixed with a quick exchange. Everyone says that the glass is indeed very good. I will keep looking, but I am more set on a Konus than anything right now since I can't afford anything good from Vortex.

commandernavi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Houston
    Thank you very much for the offer, but I live pretty close to downtown so I don't think it would be able to go :/. Do you know if any stores in the area stock Konus spotting scopes that I could check out? That would be even better since they would probably have other scopes to try as well. I want as high quality glass as possible. I don't care if the rest of it is cheapish.

Tough Guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    All I can tell ya is what I heard... somebody once told me if you want a good spotting scope you should look at scopes made for looking at the stars. Might be worth looking into.

Top Bottom