• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Searched the forum, but it seems the latest recommendation thread on spotting scopes is about seven years old.

Any recommendations? Have been using a mini-telescope, but it is a bit unwieldy.

Need pretty high magnification for these old eyes.

Not looking to spend a fortune, maybe up to $400 if necessary.

I see Bushnell has a 20-60 x 65 for about $260.

Vortex Optics Diamondback 20-60x60 about $400.
    ARJ Defense ad

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What are ya wanting to do with it?

See groups @100? See groups at 1,000? See vapor at distance?

That Vortex Diamondback is a good deal for the price. I've looked through it a lot. The fault with spotting scopes is the base. You can spend good money on a scope, than be pissed because the base sucks.

Get a solid base and a mid-grade scope.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Fire in the Wire is right..you need to determine what you’re going to be needing it to see. Most decent scopes can see a .22 cal hole in paper at 100 but move that out to 500 and that changes things

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    100 to 200 yards, at the range.

Reading through the reviews, there seem to be a number of complaints about being able to get a good focus at 100 yards or more with the sub $400 scopes.

Looks like Vortex controls the selling prices on their gear. Everyone has an identical price.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have a Redfield that works very well.

You don’t need a top end spotting scope for 200 yards. On a summer day in Texas the mirage is going to be your biggest enemy. I think many people forget about that when getting a spotting scope and are then disappointed in the results.

If it’s an option, the camera systems offer much more for the price in many cases. But there are setup requirements that may prevent them from being a viable option in many situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Redfield that works very well.

You don’t need a top end spotting scope for 200 yards. On a summer day in Texas the mirage is going to be your biggest enemy. I think many people forget about that when getting a spotting scope and are then disappointed in the results.

If it’s an option, the camera systems offer much more for the price in many cases. But there are setup requirements that may prevent them from being a viable option in many situations.

I second this^^^

A target cam would make a good alternative.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX

Have Target cam system. Still think I need a spotting scope as backup. Cam system works great, but:

1. I regularly shoot at a range that does not allow shooters down range.
    2. Public ranges are succeptible to all the idiots that see my rig downrange as a target of opportunity. So far I've stopped the idgets b4 they connected, but ...

It is a great option for private ranges. I'm eventually gonna get my feelings hurt using it at a public range and getting the shooter kicked or banned is gonna fail miserably as consolation goes.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk

GonzoLonzo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Schertz
    I have a Redfield Rampage 20x60. I can see .223 holes at 200 yards using the splatter targets during the summer. I was at the range today and forgot the splatter targets. With the mirage I could barely see some .308 holes but not all of them. I couldn't see the .223 holes at all. I am looking at getting a better quality one but I can't afford most of them. I might just stick to using the splatter targets.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Appreciate all the feedback.

Found a Leupold 15-45x60mm for under $300 with tripod and case. If it works as advertised, great. If not, I will return it and try again.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Appreciate all the feedback.

Found a Leupold 15-45x60mm for under $300 with tripod and case. If it works as advertised, great. If not, I will return it and try again.

Good deal...new?
    What store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I've got a cheaper ($100) 20-60x60mm. Its okay to a couple hundred yards, only use it for zeroing so its plenty good for me but recently I've been considering one of those smart phone adapters. Seems it'd be easier than trying not to touch the tripod and lessen eye strain from squinting though the scope.

Any experience with those adapters?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Very nice case with foam cutout insert. Tripod so so. Will have to see how still it will hold the scope at the range when the wind is blowing.

Haven't made it to the range yet, so no review of the scope itself 'til then.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've got a cheaper ($100) 20-60x60mm. Its okay to a couple hundred yards, only use it for zeroing so its plenty good for me but recently I've been considering one of those smart phone adapters. Seems it'd be easier than trying not to touch the tripod and lessen eye strain from squinting though the scope.

Any experience with those adapters?

I’ve got one for mounting a GoPro that works well.

Watched Dawico fold up some wire and mount his phone to the eyepiece and it worked surprisingly well.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think most people are disappointed in spotting scope performance due to environmental factors. When you are running high magnification it doesn’t take much to kill the image. Even the best Glass is going to have a limit where it only give you a better view of the mirage or dust in the air.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The complaint I had with the telescope I was using was its weight and especially length made it impossible for it to hold steady on a tabletop tripod with the wind blowing.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Okay. Here is the review.

At 100 yards, can easily see 7.62 holes. Have to look a little closer for .223, but is okay even in cloudy conditions.

I seriously doubt this would be acceptable for the small calibers at 200 yards.

Tripod is acceptable, could be a little sturdier. A little movement but not much due to wind.

Given the price, I am okay with the purchase.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom