• dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I hunt north of the College Station/Brian area (Franklin,TX.). We usually plant oats/rye grass in the fall, but have been talking about planting something in the Spring. We tried some kind of seed from Academy a few years ago, but the stuff that came up looked like a bunch of weeds and none of the animals would touch it. I was wondering if anyone has had luck planting food plots during the Sprinig?

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Got any openings? ;)

Sorry, Pete. we have to many hunters (8 on 220 acres) already. Luckly 2 of the guys only use the lease for plinking after deer season.

DCORTEZ,
    I heard about the clover, and when I checked I do remember it beinig a bit pricey. The turnip idea sound pretty good. Is it difficult to plant? Anybody?

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Taken from:
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_rp_w7000_0828.pdf

Primary (or "choice") winter forbs for deer include plantains, spiderwort, eveningprimrose, burclover and Texas filaree. Warm season forbs preferred by whitetails include wild lettuce, lambs-quarters, dayflower, velvet bundleflower, knotweed [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]12 [/FONT]
    [/FONT]leaf-flower, and mat euphorbia.

I read on another site that perennials are the best bet. Still looking stuff up, will add more if I find more.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    IIRC the wildlife biologist recommended cow peas. They also have a hybird clover, Red arrowleaf maybe. You can check with the local ag extension agent for help that will be specific to your area.

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    spring plot

cow peas as stated they are cheap and grow well, drought is kicking everyones butt right now. my clover is stagnant and rye barely growing. i plant three type peas black-eyed, creme ,purple hull, usually in late april- fairfield area

300shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Fargo,ND
    here is a food plot mix I made and used when I was working on my Ph.D in Wildlife Biology, it works in all parts of Texas and was tested by many hunters .

SPRING DEER MIX
    CATJANG PEAS 15%
    IRON & CLAY COWPEAS 15%
    RED RIPPER COWPEAS 15%
    SOYBEANS (FORAGE) 15%
    BUCKWHEAT 10%
    BLACK-EYED PEAS 10%
    OKRA(SPINELESS) 10%
    PIGWEED 5%
    MUNGBEANS 5%
    COST PER ACRE 100%
    COST PER LB. $ 1.25
    POUNDS PER ACRE 20

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thanks 300!

Do you know if there's any seed co's that will mix or is it a DIY project?
    Also, are there any seed co. near Houston I can get seeds from? I'm working google also.

I think it was Mr. Higginbotham that gave the seminar I went to. Those iron & clay cowpeas seem like some they had tested & recommended.

The general advice was to talk to the local Ag extension agent or biologist and get their advice and not waste money on seeds that are too commercial & expensive.

I found this Texas seed co. with my Google-Fu
    Turner Seed - Wild Life Seed Mixes
    Thay have a similar mix to 300's recipe.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try the peas & turnips. Hopefully I can get away to the lease, early next month.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    We have a small disc we pull behind our 4-wheelers. Then I use a fertilzer speader, to spread the (Oats) seeds. I then run the disc over the area one more time. If I'm lucky enough to get a little rain or a lot of dew, the oats will sprout in about a week.
    this is during the early fall. I've only tried to plant once during the Spring without much success.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    How much land do you seed?

I do three areas near my stand. The main area in front is about 30 yds. x 30 yds. The left & right sides are both about 15yrds x 20yds.

CPTKILLER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Gatesville, TX
    I grew up in Bryan and then graduated (twice) from A&M. Look at what grows in Brazos and the surrounding counties.

it is wetter than here in Coryell County.

Look at milo or soybeans. They will grow there from spring until fall. Then replant in September with oats and other seed.

Agrilife out of A&M has a lot of good information online.

Top Bottom