Spring Guns and Ammo

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
For those of you in the know about SGA's 100-yard lanes...

Do they have provisions for benched rifle shooting?

I need to do some ammo testing but would like the controlled environment of an indoor range and this is the closest (only) one with that distance sort-of (not really) close to me.

Also, one would guess that the week-day mornings would be the least busy times of the day. Correct or no?

Thanks guys.
First I have heard of a new range open to the public.

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
TGT Supporter
Aug 20, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
Allen,

Shooter's Station's 100 yard range does let you shoot from the bench position. They've got chairs and a platform from which you can shoot. Also have a video screen at each station to view your hits. If you're shooting sub MOA groups recommend bringing your own spotting scope. The 100 yard range has never been busy when I've been there, even when the other ranges have been full. If I were working up loads for a new rifle this place would be high on my list.

acorneau

Well-Known
Feb 5, 2014
Houston
Thanks for the info, MetalCutter.

I'll be ammo testing in my CZ 452 (22LR) but would like to remove the wind as a variable.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
Jun 6, 2011
The Woodlands
I've sited in a lot of rifles at SS, and the metal benches really hurt. The concussion from other shooters firing is so great, it's very easy to break shots in ways you didn't expect. Even if you don't flinch, the concussion alone from an AR next to you can make the muzzle rise a few inches (even in a sled). Ask them to put you as far away from other shooters as possible.

Savage20

TGT Addict
Mar 23, 2015
135 Los Gatos Rd
I never liked Shooters Station. Their lanes are lined with diamondplate top, bottom, and side. Even with double ear-pro, the sound is deafening and the concussion is excruciating. Whomever thought it was a good idea to line rifle lanes with diamondplate needs to be taken out back and shot like Ole Yeller

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
I never liked Shooters Station. Their lanes are lined with diamondplate top, bottom, and side. Even with double ear-pro, the sound is deafening and the concussion is excruciating. Whomever thought it was a good idea to line rifle lanes with diamondplate needs to be taken out back and shot like Ole Yeller
I agree, never liked going in the rifle ranges, of course I am like that in every indoor setting, pretty much pistol lanes only.

benenglish

Lifetime Supporter
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
I've sited in a lot of rifles at SS, and the metal benches really hurt.
Not to pile on but there are other problems there, too. The people are nice and the range is air conditioned; that's plenty for me in many cases. However, for critical work I have to disqualify the place because the design problems at 100 yards go well beyond the bench configuration and materials.

Jumping back to acorneau's original question, though, Spring G&A does have 100-yard lanes (and longer) at their outdoor range. I've never been and would love to see a range report from someone who has. It's a bit expensive for my taste. For example, the last email ad I got from them announced:

DEER SEASON SHOOT
Clean the cobwebs, sight in your rifle, see if you can really make a
300 - 400 - 500 yard shoot.

Targets up to 600 yards.
One hour on bench. No time limit on short range and rapid fire shooting.
(AR/Pistol Range)
Range Officers will be available to help with scope adjustments and techniques.

Cost $50.00
Saturday, October 17th
8:30am - 11:30am

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
Ben, if I am not mistaken, it is accessible only at certain times, is it not?

Top Bottom