Join TexasGunTalk

Spring Guns and Ammo

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by benenglish, Mar 8, 2012.

1. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    First I have heard of a new range open to the public.

2. acorneau

acorneau Well-Known

Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Oops, my bad. I was thinking about Shooter's Station in Conroe.

Nevermind.:beat:

3. MetalCutter

MetalCutter Life is too short for cheap cigars!

Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    Allen,

Shooter's Station's 100 yard range does let you shoot from the bench position. They've got chairs and a platform from which you can shoot. Also have a video screen at each station to view your hits. If you're shooting sub MOA groups recommend bringing your own spotting scope. The 100 yard range has never been busy when I've been there, even when the other ranges have been full. If I were working up loads for a new rifle this place would be high on my list.

4. acorneau

acorneau Well-Known

Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks for the info, MetalCutter.

I'll be ammo testing in my CZ 452 (22LR) but would like to remove the wind as a variable.

5. Tejano Scott

Tejano Scott TGT Addict

Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I've sited in a lot of rifles at SS, and the metal benches really hurt. The concussion from other shooters firing is so great, it's very easy to break shots in ways you didn't expect. Even if you don't flinch, the concussion alone from an AR next to you can make the muzzle rise a few inches (even in a sled). Ask them to put you as far away from other shooters as possible.

6. Savage20

Savage20 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I never liked Shooters Station. Their lanes are lined with diamondplate top, bottom, and side. Even with double ear-pro, the sound is deafening and the concussion is excruciating. Whomever thought it was a good idea to line rifle lanes with diamondplate needs to be taken out back and shot like Ole Yeller

7. Tejano Scott

Tejano Scott TGT Addict

Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Haha... So Sayeth Ole Yeller.

8. ZX9RCAM

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I agree, never liked going in the rifle ranges, of course I am like that in every indoor setting, pretty much pistol lanes only.

9. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Not to pile on but there are other problems there, too. The people are nice and the range is air conditioned; that's plenty for me in many cases. However, for critical work I have to disqualify the place because the design problems at 100 yards go well beyond the bench configuration and materials.

Jumping back to acorneau's original question, though, Spring G&A does have 100-yard lanes (and longer) at their outdoor range. I've never been and would love to see a range report from someone who has. It's a bit expensive for my taste. For example, the last email ad I got from them announced:

DEER SEASON SHOOT
    Clean the cobwebs, sight in your rifle, see if you can really make a
    300 - 400 - 500 yard shoot.

Targets up to 600 yards.
    One hour on bench. No time limit on short range and rapid fire shooting.
    (AR/Pistol Range)
    Range Officers will be available to help with scope adjustments and techniques.

Cost $50.00
    Saturday, October 17th
    8:30am - 11:30am

10. ZX9RCAM

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Ben, if I am not mistaken, it is accessible only at certain times, is it not?