Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Rapid fire with a Ruger No. 1? I'd pay to see that lol
    Short version - two guys shooting on one end of the range, one with an AR the other with a No. 1. The AR guy rips off an entire mag as fast as he can pull the trigger then immediately walks off the range to his car. The RSO comes down to that end of the range, sees only one shooter, assumes it was him that did the rapid fire, and threw him off the range. RSO wouldn't listen to reason, wouldn't apologize when the error was pointed out (after a complaint to the manager inside), and was apparently dumb enough to not fully comprehend that rapid fire with a No. 1 is sorta difficult.

IOW, just about the level of expertise you'd expect at Carter's.
    Venture Surplus ad

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    FWIW, my experiences dealing with the staff at SGA have been pleasant. I have not bought anything from them yet since their prices have been higher than my regular gun store but in terms of knowledge and service they score high marks.

For comparison, I was in Carter's Country last weekend and most of the people behind the counter were anything but knowledgeable. I actually ended up explaining the features of several of the guns that other patrons were asking about since their staff couldn't.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Charger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Houston
    I'll add my two cents...based on my first and only visit:
    The girls behind the lane and gun rental counter were nice and the one that helped us actually knew quite a bit. She quickly pointed out all of the subcompact 9mms in the case when my friend mentioned he was looking to try different concealed carry guns in 9mm. Cool!

The range itself is nothing special, but nothing out of the ordinary bad either. There is no counter to put your gear on, you have to put it on the floor, which is annoying but typical. There was a range officer in there, who looked honestly bored out of his mind. I did see him chat with several customers immediately after they ran off a string of fast shots. I picked up my brass without him or anyone else giving me a second look.

I wouldnt hesitate to go there, but wouldnt go out of my way either.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have been to SGA twice and have found the visit quite pleasant. The prices on the guns I was looking at were better than at my local gun store. I would imagine it depends on what kind of guns you were looking at. IMO

Been there more than twice, but agree with all the rest......

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Visited SGA today and there's a new development.

Transfers are now $50. Price drops to $35 if you buy $35 worth of anything else at the same time as the transfer. One more change - the signs announcing this change also state that it will now take 2 days to check a firearm in and out unless they call you and tell you it's ready earlier than that.

I have to admit, I've been guilty of the sort of silliness that probably lead to this. I've watched the tracking numbers on a transfer and then jumped into my car and driven right over there as soon as UPS or FedEx shows that the delivery was made. Looking back on it, that must have driven them crazy. So, I understand the change.

I understand it...but I still don't like it.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Ryan at HoustonGunForum will do transfers for $10 if you have a CHL. he's down the road at Stuebner-Airline at Mittlestadt.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Visited SGA today and there's a new development.

Transfers are now $50. Price drops to $35 if you buy $35 worth of anything else at the same time as the transfer. One more change - the signs announcing this change also state that it will now take 2 days to check a firearm in and out unless they call you and tell you it's ready earlier than that.

I have to admit, I've been guilty of the sort of silliness that probably lead to this. I've watched the tracking numbers on a transfer and then jumped into my car and driven right over there as soon as UPS or FedEx shows that the delivery was made. Looking back on it, that must have driven them crazy. So, I understand the change.

I understand it...but I still don't like it.

Easier to raise the fees than say no more transfers.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Sounds as if they don't much care for dealing with transfers and are pricing accordingly. No big loss, really - there are a lot of choices when it comes to places that do transfers.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Well, if one adds $50 worth of transfer fee to the price, they might be thinking it puts their price for that gun in the hunt......dunno.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    That might be it. SGA actually has really good in-store prices. Sometimes only $20 more than Buds.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Had to toss my 2 cents in here as well...

I live around the corner (seemingly) from SGA and realized last year that I was there often enough that purchasing a membership was an economical proposal. With the discount that you get with the membership, I decided to pull the trigger (LOL!) on a GSG .22 1911.

I've had nothing but good experiences there. I HAVE had the range officers ask me to slow my rate of fire a couple of times when the range was loaded up full of people, but have also had them tell me that I could pick up the pace when it cleared out some. I think it has everything to do with their level of comfort with that particular shooter. One of the guys told me about a fella that bought a slide fire from them, installed it, and went to the range and proceded to destroy the target holders, lights, and eat into a section of the ceiling. Considering the amount of liability that comes with having a shoting range, I can't blame them for keeping a close eye on things.

They have always been cool with me swepig up my (and everyone else's) brass, and have even been offered brass from the spent casing bucket. I haven't been there since things have gotten crazy - been working too much - so I don't know that that would still be the case.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    So far as the range part goes, I don't like the "time stamp" per hour. I went over an hour by about 5 minutes and had to pay for another hour. Have not shot there again since.
    So far as the "store"... If they have what I'm looking for I will most likely get it if it's a pistol. They are over MSRP on some AR components but nowadays I guess thats the new normal.

SOliver

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Spring
    I like SGA for their range, used guns, and accessories. However I had a bad FFL transfer experience with them recently where the guy made me jump through hoops for damn near a month. I eventually said screw it and had it sent to Ryan @ Houston Gun Forum. Saved me $40 on the transfer too. It won't stop me from using their range as its literally right down the road from me but I doubt I'll be making any big purchases there.

ohhrico1969

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Tomball
    That's neither useful or informative. If you want to contribute factual information - good or bad - so that others may benefit, then do so. If you just want to show your ignorance, there are other forums where that sort of crap is encouraged.

Excuse me, but I wonder wh you think you are talking to? You dont know me to speak to me like that and I certainly don't owe you any money, so I suggest you pump your brakes before you skid. You didn't start the thread, how do you know how impactful my contribution was? You show your "ignorance" of personal interaction on the net. Guys like you say things "safely" behind the comfort of you computer in the safety of your home with no accountability or consequences for the statements you make. I am not some child for you to admonish and I don't suffer fools lightly A simple ask for me to expand on my opinion like another gentleman did, would have sufficed.

Top Bottom