Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The last thread I can find about SGA died over a year ago so I suppose it's good manners to start a new one rather than resurrect the old one.

I've been there a lot but I was surprised to see the large number of Google reviews the place has gotten in the relatively short period of time it's been operating. (See http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...lt&ct=placepage-link&resnum=1&ved=0CEAQ4gkwAA )

What's interesting is the high standard deviation in ratings. People seem to either love or hate the place.

Personally, I go there a lot, mostly on weekdays, and find it to be a good range to shoot. Heavy-traffic times with long wait lists for a lane don't suit me so I avoid the place on the weekends and evenings.

BIG PLUS - They recently reorganized the floor and things flow much better now.

Minor plus - Some interesting stuff turns up in the used case and I haven't had any problems buying from/through them, used, new, or transfers.

Downsides? Like *all* gun stores, staff knowledge is highly variable and customer service seems impacted by variables I can't readily ascertain.

IMO, then: As a shooting range, they're well above average bordering on great. As a gun shop, they're about average. As a service depot, I have no experience.

What opinions do y'all have of the place?

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I like going there. Usually have a great experience. I like the new setup with the new Counter for the range and the original counter for sales. Makes for quick checkin and less confusion of who is next in line.

Also you can get some good deals on range prices through groupon or daily deals type websites. I picked up 5 range hours for $25.

leftyonly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Tomball
    I was there last night for the first time. Everybody seemed friendly, I will likely be a repeat customer.

There was a CHL renewal that had reserved and closed half the range, so I had to wait a bit. I was informed of this when I called prior to visiting, so no foul on that one. I am glad I called first though, because I would have been less happy if I had drove there and then discovered it. They indicated that this was an infrequent situation.

Richard

ShiftD40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2011
    Clutch City, TX
    My girlfriend and I go there all the time. If you want to go shoot during the weekend get there before 11 or you'll have to wait at least an hour. Overall the service is good and the range is always kept clean.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Re: Spring Guns and Ammo - Changes since the fire?

Has anybody noticed any changes in procedures/attitudes/atmosphere since the recent fire?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I didn't know there was a fire. From what I read about the fire, I'm thinking they are going to be checking ammo a lot more.
    The only thing I've been told was that some nimrod loaded up an AR with tracers and dumped them all downrange pretty quickly, catching the backstop on fire before anyone noticed or had a chance to stop him. Yeah, I figure they'll be checking ammo a lot more, too.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/spring/news/spring-gun-range-fire-ruled-accidental-fire-department-officials-say/article_5fbc6ee6-4ed6-5fca-bc9d-850aff7bcdff.html

The thing I've always liked about SGA as a shooting range is that they basically treat you like an adult and expect you to act like one. Some ranges are dangerous. Some micro-manage customer behavior so much you never want to go back. SGA generally struck a workable compromise between the two and was a pleasant place to shoot. I hope they stay that way, i.e. I hope they don't overreact.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I was there yesterday. Didn't know about the fire but I certainly noticed the ample 'no tracer round' signs throughout. Also a sign at the counter saying essentially 'we check your ammo'.

Also found out they do IDPA on both Mon & Tues evenings so plan your shooting accordingly.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...I certainly noticed the ample 'no tracer round' signs throughout. Also a sign at the counter saying essentially 'we check your ammo'.
    A couple of days ago I talked to one of the counter guys who was present when the fire started. I had some details wrong.

It seems the numb-nuts who started the fire was there showing off his FN SCAR to his girlfriend by loading it up with a magazine of tracers and sending them all downrange as quickly as possible. When he started the fire, he immediately realized what he had done. Apparently, he put down the rifle, grabbed his girl, and they were the first two to run out the door. They left; as in - they got in their car and drove off, abandoning the rifle, range bag, 4 boxes of tracers, and lots of other gear.

Apparently, the dollar value of all that abandoned equipment (I looked it up; dadgum, those rifles are expensive - list price $3K and street prices always well over $2K) overcame his embarrassment and fear and within a half-hour or so he returned to the range to claim his equipment. Information was exchanged and the culprit is known.

No idea what the outcome will be but I sure wouldn't want to be the one who sets a range on fire when the range is owned by an attorney. :-)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I was there 4 days after the fire and did not detect it had occured. That means zero smell of smoke and no observed physical damage. Based on that, I assume the fire was small so why didn't someone grab a fire extinguisher and put it out? I'm not suggesting they shouldn't have called 911, just that it sounds like it could have been snuffed out before the VFD arrived.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Edited for my own sanity: reading the original post . . . . there doesn't seem that anything was added.

How about spectre firearms? What about SHiloh? or Ryan's Houston Gun Forum?

All cool places with Great staff.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Went to Shiloh on Saturday and got right in. Didn't know about the fire at SGA... When you have a busy place like that, you get all kinds walking in your door.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I was at Shiloh Saturday from 6-730, in the rear range. My first time there and I've gotta say, the rear range is quite small in all terms. I got a glimps at the front range but didn't really pay attention to dimensions. I did like the staff.

Never heard of Spectre or Ryan's.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I was at Shiloh Saturday from 6-730, in the rear range. My first time there and I've gotta say, the rear range is quite small in all terms. I got a glimps at the front range but didn't really pay attention to dimensions. I did like the staff.
    It's a little snug in there, especially if there are bystanders. The front section is bigger, and I'll sometimes wait for a lane to clear there instead of going to the back.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I was there 4 days after the fire and did not detect it had occured. That means zero smell of smoke and no observed physical damage. Based on that, I assume the fire was small so why didn't someone grab a fire extinguisher and put it out? I'm not suggesting they shouldn't have called 911, just that it sounds like it could have been snuffed out before the VFD arrived.
    First thing you do is call 911 with a fire any size you think an extinguisher may be needed.

You want those guys at your door ASAP if you can't take care of it. They don't mind if you call and when they get there the fire is out AT ALL.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I shoot there from time to time. I will say that they seem to have made a real effort to try to get shooters on the range smoothly. The folks that work there seem very nice. The store itself is fairly small. For whatever reason, they only seem to ever have about 4 1911's on display. (Maybe just better margins on other guns?)

Top Bottom