• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sz20DF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    Houston
    On another site, was a Springfield RO 1911 in 9mm. Has anyone come across one of these 1911's? I read they are new and still not shown on Springfield's website. The two I saw are offered at $899. I'm in the Houston area if anyone can shed some light on the subject. Thanks.
    Target Sports

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    There are a few for sale on Gun Broker... local dealer has had a couple recently, both sold pretty quick.

Sz20DF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    Houston
    Happen to walk into my LGS this morning and BANG! Two, one in the case and one in the back. They received both just last week. If anyone is interested in a new 1911 9mm model from Springfield, send me a PM. I can tell you it was under $800 and the shop is located in Northwest Harris Co. Thanks.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The Range Officer is a very good pistol. Beware of aftermarket 9mm magazines. Go with OEMs. There is a another company that makes 9mm 1911 mags. Use the same initials as the ones that come with the Springfield. They are not the same, but a lot cheaper.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I was in McBride's in Austin this morning and they had both a 9mm and a .45 Range Officer, which I was able to handle, Nice weapon. Both were marked at $799.

Sz20DF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    Houston
    Picked up the RO 9mm this morning and it was $769.99 plus TT&L. For now it's just eye candy, but a trip to the range Sunday will tell.......

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I bought a Smith Pro Series 1911 in 9mm.

Mags are made of unobtanium.
    It likes 147g ammo. Doesn't cycle well using 115g even after a trip back to Smith.

rsscoggins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2014
    TEXAS
    I bought a Smith Pro Series 1911 in 9mm.

Mags are made of unobtanium.
    It likes 147g ammo. Doesn't cycle well using 115g even after a trip back to Smith.

A friend of my wife's bought a SA 1911 Range Office in the compact size. She is a little frustrated with it as every magazine seems to have a FTF. I initially thought it was limp wristing but I shot it and paid particular attention to locking my wrist and still had FTF.

She was shooting 115 grain. I suggested that maybe she step up to 124 gr and see if that helped. I know that 1911 require a breakin of about 500 rounds or so but my 2 1911s in 9mm from a different manufacturer ate any ammo right out of the box.

The SA mags seem really stiff too compared to the mags for my 1911.

Thoughts?

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Load the mags to max and let them set for a week or so. Also run it wet (well lubed) for the first couple hundred rounds. Also, you may need to change the recoil spring to a lower weight if it doesn't cycle 115 gr. I think stock is 14 lbs so try 12 or even 10.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Let me begin by saying I am a .45 ACP 1911 guy. Always have been, always will be.

I recently bought a 9mm Government Model Range Officer to add to my RO collection. I have one of each Range Officer model SA currently offers. Yes, I like them that much.

My initial trip to the range with my 9mm RO left a lot to be desired. A later trip to my gunsmith friend solved all of those issues. He polished the frame and rails. He did a few other things as well and installed a full length guide rod. My next range trip was super. This 9mm RO was now more accurate than either of my two Wilson Combat 1911s. It also cost 1/3 the price of the Wilsons. The 9mm round in a full bodied 1911 is gentle on the body as well.

I use Wilson Combat mags in all of my 1911 pistols. The factory mags never leave the factory case. My 9mm Range Officer works great with the new Wilson mag as well as a Dawson mag I bought.

I bought a Wilson mag for my RO Compact as well. It is a 7 round mag which gives me one more round than the factory mag does.
    I carry the Compact in my console. I replaced the factory wood grips on my Compact with a pair of rubber panel aftermarket grips. I use Hornaday 185 gr. Critical defense ammo in this firearm. I shot 100 rounds of this Critical Defense ammo in my Compact two weeks ago. I zero failures to feed and the groups were very well centered.
    The RO Compact is not a user friendly range gun. Shooting it gets old after a couple of boxes. It is a great self defense pistol, though.

For those unfamiliar with the RO Compact, it has a "bull barrel" which means it does not have a barrel bushing. If you look at the business end of this firearm, you would swear it is a .50 handgun. The short barrel and no bushing makes the bore opening look huge. If someone pointed one at me in anger, I think I would water the whole area. If you know what I mean.:usflag:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom