• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    This is my 1st mod as a newbie 1911 owner, my base weapon is a basic S.A. GI model straight outta the box. These are the mods that I've decided on so far for my $200 budget. I'm looking for any suggestions or opinions on my choices or any must haves I maybe missing. This is my starting point.

Wilson Combat Adjustable Trigger...15.95
    Titanium Strut...14.55
    Wilson Value Hammer...23.95
    Wilson Value Sear...14.95
    Nowlin Recoil spring 16...4.70
    Nowlin HD firing pin spring...1.89
    Nowlin Hammer Spring...1.87
    Nowlin Match grade sear spring...4.59
    Total for parts= 82.45

I plan on having it Cerakoted in the near future. I'm using Chip McCormick mags already.
    Lynx Defense

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I'm confused - why are you making these mods? The GI should be pretty good right out of the box. Why waste your money replacing the springs?

The one thing about the GI that really could be improved is that it could use a beavertail so you can avoid that nasty blister in the web of your hand when you shoot a lot of rounds. That usually requires some gunsmithing and a new hammer to make it work right.

Now, if you shoot the gun a bit and find that you have problems, then you can spend some money to get things upgraded. (For example, if the trigger is too sloppy.) None of the parts you listed will make it shoot more reliably or more accurately.

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    I'm confused - why are you making these mods? The GI should be pretty good right out of the box. Why waste your money replacing the springs?.

Sorry, I should have worded it better. I bought the gun used and when I said outta the box, I meant the guy made no mods to it. He's probably put 1500-2000 rounds through it.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I would get Wolf springs if you want, and replacing the recoil, firing pin and main springs is always a good idea on a used 1911. On the hammer and sear, you realize they are not drop in and need to be fit to the safety right? Additionally they may require some stoning and polishing for the best fit/trigger pull. Do you have a sear jig and stones? If you want to replace the sear, disco, and hammer, go with a set from Cylinder and slide. They are already polished and stoned. You would still have to fit the sear. Also you may need to change out the grip safety for a commander style hammer to work. Or, you could file a clearance notch in your existing one for a commander style hammer.

If you want to fit a beavertail grip safety, you will need a jig, files sandpaper and the safety.

Change the springs and the trigger if you want. Adjustable triggers adjust for the over-travel, not trigger pull. Over-travel has to be adjusted properly for safe operation of the 1911.

Top Bottom