• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zaitcev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2019
    Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
    BTW, If I were seeking an ultimate reliability in .45, I'd buy H&K Mark 23. You can reasonably expect a 5,000 round string out of it: without replacing any springs! But it's absurdly expensive and I think something like XD is more reasonable.

Another extremely reliable .45 is SIG P220. But its magazine capacity is too small. They used to make a double-stack version of it, but it's very rare and I don't know if it's as reliable as the original.

Some say good things about FNX, but I don't know if it's as good as people say it is.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    BTW, If I were seeking an ultimate reliability in .45, I'd buy H&K Mark 23. You can reasonably expect a 5,000 round string out of it: without replacing any springs! But it's absurdly expensive and I think something like XD is more reasonable.

I think it’s totally reasonable to expect 5-10K or more from the XD/Glock/S&W M&P lines with zero maintenance except a simple cleaning and lube every 500-1000 rounds.

The MK23 is totally a tank, but it is also a tank to carry.

Very hard to beat the value (price/reliability/availability of parts and accessories) of the poly guns, and once you accept the fact that they are generally every by as trustworthy (or more) as their metal fore-bearers.

I’m not really a believer in “torture tests” since I’m totally capable of breaking a gun by a fluke, as they are way unrealistic, but they do reveal some things mos of us will never see:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/18/glock-21-200k/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/-/4-13658/?

http://pistol-training.com/archives/998

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Never shot an XD, but I've always been told that friends don't let friends buy Springfield XD's.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Whoever told you that was an idiot...or a Glock fanboy; but then I repeat myself!
    0b8d52615739522355f16b4badad928c.jpg

Attachments

• 0b8d52615739522355f16b4badad928c.jpg
      0b8d52615739522355f16b4badad928c.jpg
      12.4 KB · Views: 417

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Hey.MM, easy on the “Glock Fanboy” stuff. Not a lot of difference between Glock Haters and XD Haters.... (or really any “Haters”)

"Fanboys" are those who think Glocks are far superior to every polymer pistol out there, which simply isn't the case...

They're usually identified by statements such as "friends don't let friends buy Springfield XDs..."

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Never shot an XD, but I've always been told that friends don't let friends buy Springfield XD's.

Nah...XD’s are good, solid, legit guns. Truth be told, they ergonomically point better for me.

issues with the grip safety are way overdone other than it complicates detail stripping a LOT, but most folks don’t do that anyway.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Nah...XD’s are good, solid, legit guns. Truth be told, they ergonomically point better for me.

issues with the grip safety are way overdone other than it complicates detail stripping a LOT, but most folks don’t do that anyway.
    I know the early ones were pretty problematic, though I've heard after the first gen ones they really didn't have many issues. Let's be honest, Glock ergos suck for comfort, we all know it. They have a fundamental reason for that horrid grip angle, and it's a good one, but it's not comfortable.

I mostly had to have a go at XDs because fanbois, like MM up there, are funny to get all riled up. Oh and the XD is kind of silly with it's grip zone branding all over it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Bro, your post is no better.

Don't care, to be honest. I've met far too many "Glock fanboys" that have criticized the Springfield but who have never shot one.

I carried Glocks for a while, and liked them a lot; but when I had a chance to shoot an XD I was much more impressed with it than I ever was with the Glock. Still am.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I know the early ones were pretty problematic, though I've heard after the first gen ones they really didn't have many issues. Let's be honest, Glock ergos suck for comfort, we all know it. They have a fundamental reason for that horrid grip angle, and it's a good one, but it's not comfortable.

I mostly had to have a go at XDs because fanbois, like MM up there, are funny to get all riled up. Oh and the XD is kind of silly with it's grip zone branding all over it.

Please do share the "fundamental reason" for that horrid grip angle!

By the way, I have a 2006 XD, so it's one of the "early models." It has been 100% reliable, and in the past 13 years of owning it I have not heard many accounts of anyone having problems with them. In fact, the only time I hear such claims it's always from Glock fan boys, never actual XD owners!

But cheer up, maybe one day the Glock will catch up with the XD!

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Please do share the "fundamental reason" for that horrid grip angle!

By the way, I have a 2006 XD, so it's one of the "early models." It has been 100% reliable, and in the past 13 years of owning it I have not heard many accounts of anyone having problems with them. In fact, the only time I hear such claims it's always from Glock fan boys, never actual XD owners!

But cheer up, maybe one day the Glock will catch up with the XD!
    You mention Glock a lot. I actually don't like Glocks or own one. They're reliable, but I'd rather have a variety of many other Tupperware over a Glock.

Anyway, the grip angle is to bring your wrist in line with your arm so when you point the pistol, it's not a natural position but in line with the target.

I also didn't say all of them, much like the Sig 365, plenty of the early pistols function fine, there were more prevalent problems.
    a649cffe94a2848a12d0b0a80c5239c1.jpg

Attachments

• a649cffe94a2848a12d0b0a80c5239c1.jpg
      a649cffe94a2848a12d0b0a80c5239c1.jpg
      12.5 KB · Views: 287
    Top Bottom