• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rodnocker1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Leona, Texas
    Thursday night (5/28/09) my son had a Springfield XD45 semi-auto pistol out of his truck. It was parked in front of his friend's house while they were gone bowfishing. The house sits about 600' off of the closest road and other than a set of footprints walking up the dirt driveway (and the missing firearm), there was no indication that anyone had been there. They left the spare mag and a box af ammo which were in another part of the console. Very few people knew that he was there that night or that the gun was in there and although we have no clues as to who it was, it appears it would have to have been someone he knows.

Anyway, the gun is a:

Springfield Armory XD45 4" "Service"
    Polymer Frame
    Dark earth (tan) w/ black slide
    .45 ACP
    3 dot sights
    Serial #US660932

The gun has had less than 300 rnds through it and was in perfect condition. Never been holstered, dropped, or modified in any way.

We just returned from filing the Police Report, so although it is doubtful that we will ever see the gun again, at least it is entered into the system.
    Venture Surplus ad

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Sorry to hear about the incident and good luck getting the gun back. I just have a question. Did he leave the gun out of the truck, like sitting on the tool box? or was it in the cab of the truck?

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    At least the serial number is entered into TCIC now.
    I had my house burglarized a long time ago and the only thing I had the serial number to was my pistol.Fortunately enough, it was recovered and served to convict some burglars.

Always keep your serial numbers ladies and gents!

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    A tip for keeping your serial numbers:
    -Store it in your safe
    -Safe deposit box
    -Laminated card in your wallet
    -Put it on a document and email it to yourself, that way you have access
    to it from any location.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Will add this to my watch list and advise local shops to be looking out for it.

rodnocker1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Leona, Texas
    Big Country, the gun was inside under the console. There were 4 other vehicles there and none of them were bothered so that is why we think it was someone who knew that it was there and wasn't just "searching" for something. He is having a tough time thinking that one of his "Friends" might have stolen his gun from him. Even worse is the thought that there is a gun out there that was (and still should be) in his control and now isn't.

Pawncop, I appreciate you getting the information out there. I wasn't sure whether the Police report would get it out there or if I would need to do it (even though I really have no idea how to go about it).

Here's the kicker-I am an FFL 01 and I have all of my stuff under double deadbolted doors, etc. I have preached and preached to him about leaving his vehicle unlocked, especially with his handgun inside. He just couldn't believe someone would come up a driveway that far and with that many vehicles there. He knows better now. Hopefully, it was someone looking to pawn it (aand it will be recovered) rather than someone intent on commiting a crime with it.

Thanks to everyone for the support, It is truly appreciated.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Big Country, the gun was inside under the console. There were 4 other vehicles there and none of them were bothered so that is why we think it was someone who knew that it was there and wasn't just "searching" for something. He is having a tough time thinking that one of his "Friends" might have stolen his gun from him. Even worse is the thought that there is a gun out there that was (and still should be) in his control and now isn't.

Pawncop, I appreciate you getting the information out there. I wasn't sure whether the Police report would get it out there or if I would need to do it (even though I really have no idea how to go about it).

Here's the kicker-I am an FFL 01 and I have all of my stuff under double deadbolted doors, etc. I have preached and preached to him about leaving his vehicle unlocked, especially with his handgun inside. He just couldn't believe someone would come up a driveway that far and with that many vehicles there. He knows better now. Hopefully, it was someone looking to pawn it (aand it will be recovered) rather than someone intent on commiting a crime with it.

Thanks to everyone for the support, It is truly appreciated.

Heres a tip I have observed over the last 7 years (not trying to insult anybodys intelligence) but burglars see the "TSRA" and "TTHA" and "Beretta" stickers on the backs of some vehicles and they know the odds are in their favor that the vehicle has a gun inside it.
    It is a method of profiling. If you see a vehicle with a bunch of gun and shooting stickers it screams "I HAVE A GUN INSIDE".

Now this is OK when you are in your vehicle with your weapon on your hip but when it is in the parking lot at 3 am unoccupied it is a gift from the gods for a crackhead.

Make your vehicle less obvious. I understand if you have land/livestock then you will usually keep a rifle/shotgun inside but do not slap a sticker on the back telling a crook that your truck is the one he wants to burglarize.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    +1 on Burt's statement. I used to put stickers all over my truck but when I got rid of it and got my current vehicle There is a "God bless America" ribbon MAGNET and a "support our troops" MAGNET and that is it. If I want to remove them I can do so easily.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    When I park at my cousin's house (out in the boonies) to go bow fishing I always lock my doors and he has some damn big dogs running around. I also think that you are correct in suspecting one of his friends. I have a very good friend (one of the few I trust) get his guns stolen from his mothers house out in the BFE Leander area while he was on deployment to Iraq. His mother wanted him to ask if took them playing a joke or something. He said it was very hard for him to ask but his mother wanted to know. I told him no obviously and that I understood that he asked. We think one of his mothers friends took them and it was hell on her to think that her and her friend no longer speak from an earlier conflict. My point is that the friends Must be suspects until proven other wise. IMO No one else would know to look in that spot except someone who knew what they were looking for.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    My point is that the friends Must be suspects until proven other wise. IMO No one else would know to look in that spot except someone who knew what they were looking for.

Now you are thinking like a cop.

The story does sound a little fishy.
    Unless you had my aforementioned stickers or something in plain view (ammo) it would seem more than random.

rodnocker1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Leona, Texas
    He is just like me as far as stickers go. His truck has no stickers, decals or emblems whatsoever. He even removed most of the Dodge emblems. Plus the windows are extra dark tinted, it's a Dodge MegaCab with a 5" lift and 35" tires, so whoever it was didn't just walk by in the dark, look through the window, and see something. You would have to have a ladder to look through the windows (plus the gun was concealed by the console).

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    He is just like me as far as stickers go. His truck has no stickers, decals or emblems whatsoever. He even removed most of the Dodge emblems. Plus the windows are extra dark tinted, it's a Dodge MegaCab with a 5" lift and 35" tires, so whoever it was didn't just walk by in the dark, look through the window, and see something. You would have to have a ladder to look through the windows (plus the gun was concealed by the console).
    Nice truck. I would suggest questioning the friends and and anyone else that was at the house. Don't accuse them just ask if they know of any joke being played. Tell them if there is a joke being played and they are a part of it you want to know now and there will be no charges filed against them. If there is in fact a joke being played and they do have the weapon and they return it. Then get new friends and don't file charges then inform the police that the weapon has been recovered. Me and my buddy are still friends after I was approached like this. That's not to say your son will have the same luck. Just my thoughts and ideas good luck.

TxGunsmith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Houston
    In my main job I see hundreds of items that are stolen but not reported because the original owner failed to write down their serial numbers. If you have an item that you don't want stolen and it has no serial number then you need to add an "OAN" (owner applied number) Use an engraving tool, scratch it on or even use nail polish. We recently recovered power tools for a woman that put here initials on them with pink nail polish. The items were recovered from a pawn shop.
    These days when a turd steals your weapon they will remove the serial number even by grinding it off. Well, just add another one under the grips with an engraving tool. If it's stolen let the police know you added another one under the grips. A lot of turds don't clean their stolen guns let alone take them apart.

Top Bottom