• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michael Wilson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    New here and have a question. I was dead set on getting the XDm but handled it and the S&W MP today. I really like both of them but when I would bring them up like I was going to shoot I always seemed be be looking right down the S&W where with the XDm I had to adjust a little each time.
    What are the pro and cons of each?

Also if I buy the 40 cal. of either one can I buy a 9mm barrel to put on the pistal and shoot 9mm? Thanks
    Military Camp

sv6er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Honestly, I'd put both of them down and take a serious look at the XD (pre-XDM) line. I bought an XD45 and absolutely love it. It gets a lot of compliments at the range. I bought my XD45 for $499 at a local dealer (he's still selling them at this price I believe).

The Springfield customer service is top-notch. I've never heard a bad comment about them.

Texas-Aviator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Caldwell
    I've a friend who has a XD. I've shot it, it's ok I guess, but the M&P pistols are in my opinion, just better. I know I'll take some heat for this, but the smith's just point and feel better and they shoot great.
    Daryl

JerryHamby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    The S&W m&p vs Springfield XDm

I read many posts about these guns. Both are great weapons. After reading until my eyes were fogged over, I did what any gun nut does, I bought one of each and decided I must decide with them side by side. My church gun club went shooting yesterday. I fired and fired, reloaded and reloaded. They both felt wonderful in my hand and were reasonably accurate out of the box. I could see no definitive advantage of one over the other.
    After cleaning both weapons (plus a couple of others that insisted on going to the range) I found my answer. The answer for my situation is quite obvious, but maybe only to me. The XDm has three advantages over the S&W. With the S&W you must look into the top to determine if the chamber is loaded. With the XDm (1) a quick look or feel tells you if the indicator is sticking up on the top of the gun, (2) a quick look or feel of the back of the gun tells you if the chamber is loaded by virtue of the striker status indicator, and (3) the XDm requires a safety on the back of the gun be compressed in order for the gun to fire..an excellent safety feature. A visual check is impossible in the dead of night and the feel method is always available. This certainly might not be of importance to others, but I will find it helpful if I am invaded at night and wonder if after my last fondling of the firearm I returned it to my usual "ready to go" status.
    Thanks for reviewing my opinion.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    I read many posts about these guns. Both are great weapons. After reading until my eyes were fogged over, I did what any gun nut does, I bought one of each and decided I must decide with them side by side. My church gun club went shooting yesterday. I fired and fired, reloaded and reloaded. They both felt wonderful in my hand and were reasonably accurate out of the box. I could see no definitive advantage of one over the other.
    After cleaning both weapons (plus a couple of others that insisted on going to the range) I found my answer. The answer for my situation is quite obvious, but maybe only to me. The XDm has three advantages over the S&W. With the S&W you must look into the top to determine if the chamber is loaded. With the XDm (1) a quick look or feel tells you if the indicator is sticking up on the top of the gun, (2) a quick look or feel of the back of the gun tells you if the chamber is loaded by virtue of the striker status indicator, and (3) the XDm requires a safety on the back of the gun be compressed in order for the gun to fire..an excellent safety feature. A visual check is impossible in the dead of night and the feel method is always available. This certainly might not be of importance to others, but I will find it helpful if I am invaded at night and wonder if my last fondling of the firearm returned it my usual "ready to go" status.
    Thanks for reviewing my opinion.

All good points. I would trust my life to an XD anytime

Brett G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I have a XD in 45 and an M&P in 45. The main diffrences to me is capacity and ergonomics. I really like the XD and have never had a lick of trouble with it and I like having every round in the gun I can. That said the M&P just feels better in my hand. The changeable back strap make it fit my hand just right.

I status check my weapon everytime I holster it to go out. I've never been fond of loaded camber indicators personally.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom