• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Often times, I hear people say not to keep your AR mags loaded because it wears out the spring. I even hear it be said not to fully load a mag because it wears them out. So when you guys carry, do y'all swap out mags? How long do you think a mag can stay loaded before its time to swap? Do you keep your hammer fired weapons cocked and locked?

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I keep a ton of mags loaded in all calibers. Some have been loaded for years. I've never had a single problem with the springs wearing out or forming "memory".

Leave 'em loaded. You're fine.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I keep a ton of mags loaded in all calibers. Some have been loaded for years. I've never had a single problem with the springs wearing out or forming "memory".

Leave 'em loaded. You're fine.

Agreed.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Often times, I hear people say not to keep your AR mags loaded because it wears out the spring. I even hear it be said not to fully load a mag because it wears them out. So when you guys carry, do y'all swap out mags? How long do you think a mag can stay loaded before its time to swap? Do you keep your hammer fired weapons cocked and locked?

It's not the compression that wears out springs. It is the use (loading/unloading) that wears the springs out. As long as you don't over compress or stretch a spring, then leaving it loaded isn't going to ever wear it out. So, if the magazine is designed for 10 rounds, and you put 10 rounds in it, then you should not have any problems leaving it there and then it being ready when you need it. If you were to put 11 rounds in a 10 round magazine, however, then you're over compressing the spring and can cause it to not rebound correctly.

As far as cocked and locked, yes. The worst thing you'd want in a situation of need is to either have to cock the hammer, or to chamber a round. I wouldn't, however, have it cocked without the safety on if it has an external safety. Glocks et al, without external safety/hammer, are a totally different thing. I'd have no problem carrying them with a round in the chamber without a safety.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Dammit! You guys and your knowledge are being buzzkills! I already know mags are just fine staying loaded - I'm constantly trting to educate others about this. :D I was hoping to catch some people who believed the loaded mag myth and have fun with them!

You guys suck :p lol

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Had that same discussion with a customer this morning. He is going to leave them unloaded, hope he dont need them in a hurry

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    When my father passed into the next dimension, he left me a Colt 1911 with a loaded magazine in the magazine well, and two fully loaded magazines in a canvas G.I. ammo pouch.

My mother told me he had not shot that pistol since 1971.

All the rounds were 230 grain ball, and the cases had the patina of a cardboard box.

Took the gun to the range and every-single-round fired without any kind of malfunction.

I don't know anything about spring compression, but old magazines and guns kept in good condition will work far beyond the life time of the original owner.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    When my father passed into the next dimension, he left me a Colt 1911 with a loaded magazine in the magazine well, and two fully loaded magazines in a canvas G.I. ammo pouch.

My mother told me he had not shot that pistol since 1971.

All the rounds were 230 grain ball, and the cases had the patina of a cardboard box.

Took the gun to the range and every-single-round fired without any kind of malfunction.

I don't know anything about spring compression, but old magazines and guns kept in good condition will work far beyond the life time of the original owner.
    sorry for the loss of your pop's.......that's an awesome story, thanks for sharing it with us Bigun:D

Top Bottom