APOD Firearms

Sprints-- Can someone help me with a plan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blasternank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Keller (By Cabela's)
    I'm 44 so I'm not a young guy looking to get so much quicker nor do I have visions of grandeur, but what I want is to feel better, get a little quicker, and get my heart beating good. I started working out a couple of months ago and do a boot camp about 4-5 days a week and usually a day on an elliptical style machine as well. I feel a lot stronger and in a lot better shape. I don't want to spend countless hours jogging as I've always hated jogging. Even as a former wrestler who could have run for nearly as long as I wanted I still hated it. I always will.

That being said I'd like to have some type of program to run some sprints to supplement my current workouts. My heart gets beating pretty fast during our boot camp, but I'd like to do a little more. I guess I could just go out and do 50 yard dashes, but I figure in today's age there always seems to be a decent program out there to do so you do not do the same old thing day in and day out. Any suggestions or links or constructive insights would be greatly appreciated. It's been awhile since I've sprinted so I'll be on the Jr. High practice field at night where no one can see. Hahaha!

Thanks
    Gun Zone Deals

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Sprints - I do them quite a bit. Being a basketball player and mid distance sprinter type athlete, my normal is interval type workouts. It's old habit from high school. It just my type and what my body does.

I guess first if I were you figure out what kind of sprints are you wanting to do? Short distance, quick burst top speed? As in 50m-200m sprints less than 1min long? Or do you want to stride it out for longer intervals at say 75-85% speed for 1min-3min? Longer? I would do that maybe twice a week. I don't see it being necessary more than that for the non-pro athlete adult if you are doing a daily workout of some kind being it weights/circuit training/anything else physical activity. Otherwise you risk overuse and injury, or just simply being run down and exhausted. And that's enough of a negative affect that you get no benefit from exercise unless your body is rested and ready.

There are lots of ways to sprint but the fundamental effect is it is an interval workout. High intensity for short burst in between periods of rest. The variables are speed/effort level, distance and time within the fast end of the scale of running.

In my regular workouts I'll do intervals. I start w 3-5min jog at a comfy pace, then alternate 1min stride sprints (mid distance sprinters get that one) with 1min jog to catch my breath. The way I variable that is how fast I sprint. I normally ladder the sprints by .5-1mph each time depending on the initial sprint speed (leave the rest jog the same speed). I run eight sprints altogether at minimum (and lets be real, at max too lol) then easy jog a 2-5min cool down. I guess the distance for that run works out to 1mi-1.5 depending on how much I screw around.

Another method I use to incorporate interval training is having a plyo day. It not only adds cardio interval but works on the speed, power and coordination on the muscle & brain level.

Lotsa ways to sprint though. I find I do not top speed sprint during workouts. The only time I do is when I am pressed is under game speed conditions at basketball or soccer. Lifting weights is a great way to create a foundation for the strain on the heart and blood pressure of intervals. I noticed my distance conditioning is better when I'm on my weight lifting sched. I'm with you though, I hate jogging slogging for miles on end. It is actually very hard on my knees and I find it mindless. That said I will push out a 4-7mi run once a month for the system shock. But I often hike 3-9mi during the month so my body stays use to being under workload for longer periods of time even if it isn't under high intensity.

Last edited:

Gravity1015

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    I'm 44 so I'm not a young guy looking to get so much quicker nor do I have visions of grandeur, but what I want is to feel better, get a little quicker, and get my heart beating good. I started working out a couple of months ago and do a boot camp about 4-5 days a week and usually a day on an elliptical style machine as well. I feel a lot stronger and in a lot better shape. I don't want to spend countless hours jogging as I've always hated jogging. Even as a former wrestler who could have run for nearly as long as I wanted I still hated it. I always will.

That being said I'd like to have some type of program to run some sprints to supplement my current workouts. My heart gets beating pretty fast during our boot camp, but I'd like to do a little more. I guess I could just go out and do 50 yard dashes, but I figure in today's age there always seems to be a decent program out there to do so you do not do the same old thing day in and day out. Any suggestions or links or constructive insights would be greatly appreciated. It's been awhile since I've sprinted so I'll be on the Jr. High practice field at night where no one can see. Hahaha!

Thanks
    I do sprints once or twice per week. I find a hill, sprint up and then walk down. No more than 75 yards and I prefer 50. No more than 10 reps. Mark Sisson has a good plan outlined in his book "The Primal Blueprint."

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Find a hill, steep and fairly same grade. Sprint up for 30 secs, then recover walking up for 30
    seconds and back down 30 seconds, then repeat. You’ll want a mile or so of hill.

Go to the goal line. Do 10 burpees, then launch out of the last one into a 30 yard sprint. Walk back and repeat, adding 10 yards each time.

Get 2x 5 gallon Jerry cans, do a farmers carry from goal line to goal line, the sprint back 100 yards to the starting point. Walk the length of field again, pick up the Jerry cans and repeat until exhaustion.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Find a hill, steep and fairly same grade. Sprint up for 30 secs, then recover walking up for 30
    seconds and back down 30 seconds, then repeat. You’ll want a mile or so of hill.

Go to the goal line. Do 10 burpees, then launch out of the last one into a 30 yard sprint. Walk back and repeat, adding 10 yards each time.

Get 2x 5 gallon Jerry cans, do a farmers carry from goal line to goal line, the sprint back 100 yards to the starting point. Walk the length of field again, pick up the Jerry cans and repeat until exhaustion.

I do similar here with hills, but not dead on sprints, just hard running up. Usually if I'm in the neighborhood I'll haul up the inclines, walk or jog the declines, regardless of the slope. It's a great way to add interval benefits using simple topography. Same can be done for landmarks too. I find 1-1.5mi worth of travel is enough for cardio benefits but not so much I destroy my knees.

The burpees are a good work in too. I'll do a set after a quarter mile run that I parse out in 100m sections jog-to-sprint.

Farmers walks are great but I limit those, with one hand for me, I switch it up to shoulder carry a bag/sack or beam/pole/bar so I can load each side of my body equally.

Winginit32

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2021
    San Antonio,TX
    Besides all other post from the above individuals, you can do 60 second sprint followed by a 60 second walk/rest then I’ll steady state cardio for 10 to 20 minutes then I finish with a 60/60 again. Or if you are doing only steady state finish it off with 2 minutes as fast as you can.

Top Bottom