Join TexasGunTalk

Squirrel hunting

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by country_boy, Jan 10, 2019.

1. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Had a friend ask me “where is there public hunting land for squirrels”? In central Texas.

So I’m asking for him on here. Where if any?

2. skfullen

skfullen In the woods... TGT Supporter

In the National Forests. Sam Houston and Angelina. I'm sure there are other places. I'm glad to hear someone else has my same interest!

There is nothing like a pot of squirrel dumplings!

3. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    WMAs, Walk in Hunting program areas, Corps of Engineers, State Parks.

Some research will be needed.

4. Sam7sf

Sam7sf Well-Known

Apr 13, 2018
    Bedford
    It’s fun shooting them too

5. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    For me, my front yard. Every time I think I'm rid of them, more show up.

Southpaw likes this.
  6. roadrunner

roadrunner Well-Known

Jan 30, 2018
    Here
  7. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I shot my 1st squirrel in the Student Center (aka Quadrangle) at Angelo State College circa 1968.

8. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I read an article a few months back about how squirrel hunting has dropped dramatically in Texas. Probably a lot of different reasons, including the expense of a lease that goes longer than just deer season. Cat squirrels pushed out a lot of the fox squirrels, and the "cats" are smaller and a little harder to hunt.

9. kenboyles72

kenboyles72 Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Lots of BLM, National Parks and such to shoot in, just got to look em up for your location. I don't have that problem, so never looked into it.

Just use that to sharpen up your aiming ;) Cat squirrels are a bit more challenging, but I like a good challenge.

10. skfullen

skfullen In the woods... TGT Supporter

Growing up, we had a single pecan tree on the corner lot we lived on in Houston. My father and grandfather grafted and planted the tree when I was about four. When the tree started producing pecans, it was swarming with squirrels!

At about ten, I got a Sheridan (Maybe it was a Benjamin) 5mm pellet gun.

My job was to keep squirrels out of dad's beloved tree! That pellet rifle fed our appetite for squirrel. I swear they would walk the wire between telephone poles for blocks just to get to that tree.

Without exaggeration, we probably took 100 of them from that tree during the 15 or so years I lived in that house!

Dad liked squirrel, more importantly, he had declared war with them over those pecans! I think the squirrels won, as I don't ever remember harvesting more than a handful of pecans per season!