Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've offered this before without success (in multiple places:() so I'm trying again at a lower price and with fewer conditions.

SR 4759 powder, 4 jugs, 8 pounds each, from the final production run

$300 per jug

For those who don't know, here are a few basics about it.
    • Secondary use is for large magnum pistols. It works well, for example, in the .44 Magnum, though I don't recommend it based on the points below.
    • Energy density is low. It's not as low as Trail Boss but it is low.
    • Because energy density is low, it provides good load density for less-than-max loads in large rifle cases. It is THE powder if you want to shoot cast lead projectiles from full size rifle cases, e.g 30.06 or 300 Win Mag.
    • You'll need old load data. The powder hasn't been made in about a decade so it's not in modern manuals. Old Lyman manuals that concentrate on lead bullet reloading are good sources.
    • It's a PITA to load with because its jagged shape means it won't flow smoothly through powder measures.
    • It lacks a flash suppressant coating so out of short barrels it tends to produce a prodigious flash and blast. This isn't such a big deal from a 24-inch barrel but out of of a barrel half that length or less it's a whole different thing.
    Questions in this thread or by PM are welcome though I may not reply promptly.

First "I'll take it" in this thread, followed up promptly with a PM to discuss particulars, gets however much you want to purchase.

I'm in Spring, north of Houston. If you're willing to meet me halfway, I'm willing to drive a bit (say, 20 miles) to meet you in a public place to make the sale. Cash only, daytime only, F2F only (no shipping), and no trades.

If anyone wants pictures and lot numbers, I can post them here but, for now, I figure most of us know what a jug of powder looks like.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Unique sales technique - here it is and here's why it sucks! LOL! GLWS, amigo. It's a good opportunity for someone who needs that powder. Not one I've used, so I can't help except for the bump.

In fairness, every powder has it's quirks. If not, we'd just have one called "pistol" and one called "rifle".

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Unique sales technique - here it is and here's why it sucks!
    Not really. People who know, know. If you're shooting cast lead bullets from full-size rifle cartridges, it's absolutely worth overcoming the little problems it represents.

The number of cast bullet shooters around here seems insufficient to find one who will buy this, though.

I'll probably wind up just running it through my .44 magnums but I don't want to because there are some dedicated cast bullet shooters who really, really love this powder. Too bad I can't seem to find any of them, here or on CastBoolits, where the powder also failed to sell.

As an aside, I've watched it being used in short-barrel guns and I've discussed, at length, its use with a suppressor manufacturer. The lack of flash suppressant is a fascinating aspect of this powder.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I've seen a real reluctance to stock up on powder with the continuing shortage of primers. The situation has improved, but I still see some very high prices.

Earlier this month I picked up 5K CCI 500 for $0.09/primer after tax and S&H.

First primers I’ve bought in years.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom