• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sarp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Houston
    Stag Arms makes left-handed assault rifles that come in 5.56 nato caliber (.223 is parent case) and I was wondering how it shot when it came to recoil, accuracy and and if there were any differences when between shooting a left-handed black gun vs a right handed one.

I was also wondering how good a round 5.56 is.
    Lynx Defense

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    The 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington are the same thing and they are not the same thing. I've posted the differences in some other threads on TGT but mainly it has to do with loading pressures and the differences in a 5.56 chamber vs. a .223 chamber.

The left hand version will shoot just like the right hand version.

How good a round is the 5.56? Depends on what you want to use it for. Depending on the barrel twist, you're only shooting bullets between 55 and 90 grains. I'm pretty happy with my RRA NM A2 for NRA High Power matches, but I don't think I'd want to shoot an elk with it.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's a good round for the animals around here. With the bigger hogs it's going to be more shot placement sensitive, but deer are going to not be a problem.

You'll get alot more effectiveness out of the round the faster you can drive it. Meaning longer barrel (18" Midlength or 20" Government).

Accuracy is good, they are 2 MOA and tighter with your average off the shelf gun which is really good for a military semi-auto. I've heard the .223 chambers give better accuracy, but I think once you've fire-formed the brass in a NATO chamber you'll get good results as well.

Light recoil, good performance, etc. they are a good buy.

Sarp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Houston
    You'll get alot more effectiveness out of the round the faster you can drive it. Meaning longer barrel (18" Midlength or 20" Government).

Most of Stag Arms rifles that I saw are 16" (one in 20") and they are all chrome lined.

Being they are chrome lined does that mean you need different cleaning supplies or will the brush i use in a non-lined barrel work the same? Is there a noticable difference in performance and how much wear and tear it can take?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    . . .Accuracy is good, they are 2 MOA and tighter with your average off the shelf gun which is really good for a military semi-auto. I've heard the .223 chambers give better accuracy, but I think once you've fire-formed the brass in a NATO chamber you'll get good results as well.

. . .

question:

Doesn't the "fire-formed" brass only apply to neck sized, bolt action guns? I thought you had to full length size semi-auto brass, which should get rid of any of that fire formed.

correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I have a Stag (2H) myself that is in the assembly process in my mad-scientist lab at the house.
    How does a left handed Stag shoot as opposed to a right handed one? The left handed one ejects brass from the opposite side of the right handed one.

Chrome lined reduces rusting and is alleged to reduce maintenance. It was brought about in Vietnam when the bores and chambers of M16's were rusting, so they chromed them (lets not get into ammo/powder type) and reduced the problem.
    I have heard that chrome lined MAY be less accurate than non-chrome lined but I am not engaging targets at 1k meters and the chrome has served me well in a decade of military service.

Sarp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Houston
    Do you're chrome lined share the same brushes as your regular barrels or do you only use brushes A on chrome and brushes B on regular?

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    question:

Doesn't the "fire-formed" brass only apply to neck sized, bolt action guns? I thought you had to full length size semi-auto brass, which should get rid of any of that fire formed.

Here is the way I have always understood it. Any time you fire brass in a rifle, it expands to the dimensions of the chamber it is fired in. I consider all of my rifle brass fire-formed and I have it all marked as to which rifle it goes in. For all of my bolt guns, I only neck size my brass provided the OAL is still within tolerance. I will state up front that I do not load for my AR's so I cannot be 100% sure, but if you fire brass in one, it stands to reason that it would form to that chamber. It may not match another rifles chamber, but it should match yours. If you have to full length resize it, you would negate the fire forming, but do you have to full length resize your brass for an AR? If you are only using it in one rife, why would you have to? I am curious now....

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    question:

There was a thread about it before, and it was beneficial to full-length size all the semi-auto brass. We've done it both ways in our M1As. The less the brass deflects, the more accurate the round is going to be.

I recall the problem being feeding and reliability. We are just looking for accuracy, and having fun at the range.

I could be wrong as well. Bullseye-Shooter had alot of info regarding it, check the reloading forum.

Top Bottom