• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Mito, Japan/Georgetown, Texas
    I have decided on the model rifle I want, but have to choose between a stainless or blued model. What benefits will the stainless give. Location is Central Texas if that affects the decision.
    ARJ Defense ad

CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    If it gets a lot of use in the field, the stainless would be a better choice. Conversely if you use it once or twice a year, and leave it in the safe untouched the rest of the year, it will be less likely to rust if it's stainless. Blued or stainless will rust, it's just that stainless is more forgiving of neglect.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Stainless steel will not rust, but the finish can corrode. It would require significant amounts of poor maintenance and a very humid condition to corrode stainless steel.

jack7742

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Schertz
    The mini 14 I've got coming from Sportsmans Warehouse (hopefully) is the stainless model. :1zhelp:With 15 year old grandson as the primary user and abuser, I thought stainless would be a lot more forgiving to less than top notch care than blued. Blued however does provide a more classic look.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I like the deep dark look of blued barrels when the stocks are wooden. I prefer stainless for practical reasons.......but the blued ones look better (until you pull one out of the safe with a rusty fingerprint on it because somebody had sweaty hands when they last put it up).

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Blueing can wear off over time, but stainless is the same color throughout. If you're not going to use it much, save the money and get a blued model.

kenj8172

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    Houston
    I'm a stainless guy myself. I wouldn't buy anything that I wasn't planning on having around for a while, and I figure I might as well pay a little extra for the stainless. Plus it's pretty :)

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I've got several stainless guns and like them a lot. I usually clean after each shooting, but in the case of my Mini 14, if I don't have time to clean right then or even for a few months, I don't sweat it. Its still good to go when I need it and I can clean it when I get around to it.

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    I have both but I tend to use my stainless rifles more just because the upkeep is less. Lets face it, I don't want to put a scratch into the perfect blueing of my 1952 30/30 Winchester yet a scratch from hunting in my 700 Stainless BDL is not even going to show. Some guns are for the range and others are for use. Stainless is for use.

perdurabo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    NO SHINY GUNS, EVER! I don't mind stainless as a material, but in terms of appearance, chrome nickel and stainless are tacky as hell. Firearms ought to be a dark matte, color, period. I've seen some dark matte stainless that was tolerable and I've even seen some flavor of matte black coated stainless that was well done... however the majority of bright stainless firearms just look uber fugly to me.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    NO SHINY GUNS, EVER! I don't mind stainless as a material, but in terms of appearance, chrome nickel and stainless are tacky as hell. Firearms ought to be a dark matte, color, period. I've seen some dark matte stainless that was tolerable and I've even seen some flavor of matte black coated stainless that was well done... however the majority of bright stainless firearms just look uber fugly to me.

So...you're calling my gun tacky?:confused:

Top Bottom