APOD Firearms

Stand Your Ground to be scrutinized....again.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShootWhenICan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Houston
    We knew this was coming.
    Will they ask the mother how much money she's making by profiteering of her son's death?

[h=2]Dick Durbin To Hold Senate Hearing On “Stand Your Ground” Laws, Trayvon Martin’s Mother Expected To Testify[/h]
    A Senate hearing reviewing “Stand Your Ground” laws will take place Tuesday after previously being delayed.
    The original hearing was postponed in mid-September following the killings at the Navy Yard in Washington.
    The hearing Tuesday will take place before the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Human Rights, chaired by Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.).
    The witness list is not yet public, but Trayvon Martin’s mother, Sabrina Fulton, was set to attend the previously scheduled hearing.

“Stand Your Ground” laws, which exist in many states, emerged as a contentious issue after the shooting death of Martin and subsequent not guilty verdict in the trial of George Zimmerman.

Senate to hold ?Stand Your Ground? hearing Tuesday

ARJ Defense ad

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Unless something has drastically changed since I last looked, this is a State issue, not a Federal issue ... just another smoke screen to get some votes.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Unless they create a law to make it federal.

Yep, but they know that it stands no chance of getting through the House, and, even if it did, it would not be implemented until a SCOTUS ruling, which could take years. IOW, another subversion of the Commerce Clause, which States such as Texas would certainly fight tooth and nail (as long as we keep it red, that is).

So at this point it is arguably nothing but political theater - some huffing and puffing to make it appear to liberal constituents, NAACP, et al, that something is being done. More divide and pander.

ShootWhenICan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Houston
    "Yep, but they know that it stands no chance of getting through the House"

I don't know.
    I may be wrong or confusing things but I think last time this was voted on this they came only 5 votes short.
    For them that's an encouragement and a huge improvement from a 20-30 vote difference.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    A nationwide "duty to retreat" law would do it.

Would immediately be UC as it conflicts with 200 years of Case Law.

Looks like our man Cruz is already running point on this:

“The notion that critics of these laws put forth, that if you’re attacked on the street by a violent attacker, you’re obliged to turn and run rather than defend yourself, is a notion contrary to hundreds of years of our jurisprudence,” Cruz said.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    All it takes is a few rulings from liberal judges to screw that up - after all, several states still have "duty to retreat" laws on the books that have not be successfully challenged.

ShootWhenICan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Houston
    Here's more on what happened today.
    Make sure you click the word "comments" above the headline to read some of the comments.
    With people saying things like:

"You had your 15 minutes "mom" ... now go away and contemplate why he was at "dads" in the first place. YOU do not set laws for the entire state nor country due to your own lack of responsibility. It was not the SYG law that killed Trayvon."

and

"Clarification: If a young Black Male is bashing your head on the cement fire when ready and empty.

Move on Travon mommy, your thug son is dead for a reason one of which is bad parenting..........."

and

"Who cares about her opinion? She was the mother of a thug, her opinion is worthless."

It seems to me there's still hope in the world and more people are of a rational mind than I have been giving due credit.

Mothers of victims plead for changes to stand-your-ground laws - U.S. News

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Theyll be quick to tell you. You dont HAVE to buy health insurance youll just get fined if you dont. Its like "you give me ten bucks or you get a kick in the nuts."

I imagine the IRS form will be written as a tax credit if you have insurance, as opposed to a fine if you do not. Kind of like answering "yes" I have a electric car.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Early on in the Zimmerman circus, Trayvon's parents trademarked his images and several slogans like "Justice For Trayvon" to ensure that they alone would profit from this mess. Think about that............If this three ring circus dies down, they won't profit. Stirring up more conflict guarantees them more income. I know that people mean well when they stand up for a cause like this, They are entitled to their opinions. Still, they fail to recognize that they're being used for commercial gain.

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom