Join TexasGunTalk

Star BM 9mm rebuild.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by RedArmy, Nov 1, 2018.

1. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    DD130,

WHEN & IF the aftermarket ambi-dexterous safeties become available, I'm buying a PAIR of the BM pistols, with extra mags, while there are GREAT condition ones available at classicfirearms.com = "Bart" tells me that they have some at a 20.oo handpick fee that LOOK as if they were never issued.

The Spanish Guardia Civil bought NO junk.

yours, satx

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    DD130 likes this.
  2. RedArmy

RedArmy Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Thanks! I should have shared this before, to refinish I'm just using 3M automotive grade 400 grit sand paper. It takes a good while to sand, but 400 grit won't leave any scratches and enhances the grain. I follow up with a 3M 340 grit sanding sponge. I use micro-mesh super fine sanding cloths for polishing too. The 3M sanding sponge is what I use for brushed finishes on stainless steel. Amazingly, Walmart is the best source for 3M sandpaper.

sSuBsgJ.jpg

satx78247 likes this.
  3. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    RedArmy,

How much material did you have to remove from the slide to obliterate the "billboard"??

Btw, classicfirearms.com HAS extra magazines in stock at a reasonable price.

yours, satx

4. RedArmy

RedArmy Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    You mean those milled out circles? It was only a 1mm if that, it took some time to sand though.

satx78247 likes this.
  5. RedArmy

RedArmy Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I scanned and blew up the exploded and plan views of the pistol from the manual. This gives you a nice reference guide.

MsVrrvf.jpg

hRSfTMQ.jpg

satx78247 and grasshopperglock like this.
  6. RedArmy

RedArmy Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Time to get the frame taken apart!

You will need a 3/32 steel punch to drive out the trigger pin. I would suggest using a brass punch to tap it down flush first, then use your steel 3/32 punch to drive it out. Once the pin is out move the trigger reward and then out the right side of the frame. This is the only way to remove the trigger, it can't be removed from the top or the other side of the frame.
    UwyIxAz.jpg

There is a spring inside the trigger that controls the trigger bar, I'm going to leave it be. It will receive a thorough cleaning and the trigger refinished. I see no wear whatsoever on any of the trigger components. Lots of sharp and rough edges inside the frame though.
    p2ozBPm.jpg

This little bar resets the trigger, it simply slides out, it's made in a way that you can't install it incorrectly. Just push it down and you're done. The mag release button is like a 1911, push it all the way in and then take a small screwdriver and turn the camlock and it comes right out.
    aFzMOvw.jpg

WARNING! We are now going to be dealing with the high powered hammer spring. Wear safety glasses, the hammer spring on any 1911 type pistol is very dangerous. It's even more dangerous on this pistol as there is no dedicated pin holding it in, it's held in place by the hammer pin. Put those safety glasses on!

WARNING! To get started turn the safety counterclockwise, remove the small detent spring shown here.
    9rhUDSD.jpg

WARNING! While pressing the hammer all the way back turn the safety counterclockwise, there is a key that will align so the safety can be removed.
    m11xWMA.jpg

WARNING! This pin is holding the hammer and hammer spring in. I held a thick towel over the whole pistol and kept my hand over the hammer as is pushed out the pin. It's unnecessary to use a hammer on the pin, it just pushes out, be ready for it!
    SaEoIsR.jpg

Boom! There it is, if you pushed out the pin without holding down the hammer, parts would shoot out everywhere. Reinstalling this will take great care.
    sLUxqDt.jpg

I failed to show the sear being removed, you just drive out the pin and out it comes, it's at the top of the frame below the safety. This photo shows the sear spring, it simply slips out. NOTE: The silver pin that holds the sear spring is staked and can't be removed, this is why it's silver and the sear pin is blued. I tried to tap it out anyway without luck, just leave it be.
    5wEEwXm.jpg

Here's the parts group, lot's of clean up to do. I forgot to show the magazine disconnect removal too, it's easy to remove and sits in the long slot to the rear. It has no function other than to stop the pistol from being fired without a mag, it also stops empty mags from falling free. I won't be reinstalling it. It can be removed without tearing the pistol down.
    9WcAFYu.jpg

Remember the milled out circles? Me neither, they're gone for good.
    9ATru33.jpg

Now to get started on the rest of the frame, lot's of work to do!
    vWQekIC.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    DD130, satx78247 and Darqhelmet like this.
  7. DD130

DD130 Active Member

Aug 21, 2017
    San Antonio
    Hm. looks like plenty of material there on the frame to smooth/file out those pockets where some marks were removed. This is very cool project!

satx78247 likes this.
  8. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    DD130,

SPOT ON.

yours, satx

9. RedArmy

RedArmy Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    OK, it's nearly ready to go off for hot bluing. I've got the outside of the frame completed, the interior of the framed received a full deburr and polish, talk about sharp edges, you could literally cut yourself inside the frame. Just a hand full of parts to strip including the four mags I now have and it'll be ready.

I removed all of the Spanish serial numbers, I left only my US serial and the gun manufacture date.
    hsf3HWI.jpg

Every ding, nick and pit has been removed from the slide and frame. It took a lot of work to get it this straight. French walnut grips from grips4u.net . I found four shops that do hot bluing in the DFW area, all look expensive, I figure $250 to $300 depending on the finish chosen. I'll probably avoid high polish as I intend to carry and shoot this pistol a lot, high polish tend to scuff too easy.
    RTS7Ue6.jpg

nQI4BRZ.jpg

XYt6tuN.jpg

mwRCM3Y.jpg

8NZH2Lz.jpg

All of these parts are finished, pins and screws blued with Brownells oxphoblue. Sight, firing pin and guide rod ready for hot bluing.
    7CvNqbj.jpg

The trigger received a brushed finish.
    pQED1AX.jpg

satx78247, Charlie, DD130 and 2 others like this.
  10. Darqhelmet

Darqhelmet You had one job, one.

Jul 5, 2018
    Dallas
    Hot damn! That looks great, can’t wait to see that blued and back together.