• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Now, before all of you "you must be a geek or a Trekkie if you like Star Trek" start balking, remember... I'm armed!

All I can say is “Wow!” I fully expected a snorefest, with every great scene having already been shown in the trailers. Boy, was I wrong! I thought the effects were well done. The acting was excellent. I found myself smiling at the hints of the original actors in the contemporary actors’ performances. They made no attempt to copy Shatner, Nimoy, Kelly, etc. Each made the character his/her own, but gave us the occasional line or expression reminiscent of the original. The audience actually applauded; something that rarely occurs in theaters. The exception might be McCoy. He was pretty dead-on, but it was funny as hell; a great tribute to DeForest Kelly.

I was both elated and saddened to see Nimoy’s revision of Spock. It was great to see the old Spock again, but the reality that Nimoy is getting up there in years and this might be his last portrayal almost brought a tear. I would have loved to have seen Shatner worked in for a cameo.

My 17 year old daughter, who grew up with Trek, but enjoyed it only to the extent required to humor her Dad, really enjoyed the movie.

I find myself eager for the next incarnation of Star Trek. I thought this work was fresh, exciting and still faithful enough to the old Trek to keep the hardcore Trekkies (or Trekkers?) happy. I would have liked to have heard a little more of the techie talk that’s been a hallmark of Trek, but I can forgive this omission. The alternate timeline concept (oops, did I say that out loud) is a bit 'easy', but gives the producers license to depart a bit from the original story line.

All in all, I thought it was a very good movie. Even if you're not into Trek, the movie will entertain you.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I agree it was a GREAT movie. However, I thought the actors did a great job with the charactor's speach patterns and mannerisms. McCoy was DEAD on, Kirk was brash, aggressive and a lover of the fairer sex. He had not-yet-developled-the-stacatto-speech-pattern-yet. :p

Scotty was also dead on, and Spock had the eyebrow lift, etc.

We also got to see what I consider one of the most important back-stories from the TOS movies. No spoilers here though.

My 13 year old daughter has only seen parts of the other Trek movies and series. She loved this movie, and even with her limited exposure to previous stuff she had no trouble keeping up.

She summed up my feelings about the movie the best; when we got in the truck to go home she said, "that was sooooo good, I miss them already."

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Yes, the characters are still basically the same. The new actors were given the latitude to personalize them a bit. Kirk is a bit angrier than the original, but that might be explained by the event in the opening scenes. Spock was a bit softer than the original; but if you remember, the Spock character in TOS morphed considerably as the series and the eventual motion pictures developed. He went from stiff and regimented to somewhat human, to very, very Vulcan, then to almost Human again.

I thought Scotty was the way the original Scotty might have been before taking his position on the Enterprise. He was very 'Scotty', but undisciplined and a bit of a wildcard. That's evident in his TOS character, but much more subdued.

I didn't really get it with Uhura. I don't feel her original character had enough depth to really make a good comparison.

Chekov was great. The hair was different, but it was classic Chekov... on steroids. I guess it could be argued that this is what Chekov was like when he was an eager ensign.

Sulu didn't really get a lot of face time, but I thought they did a good job on him. He was faithful to the character, but not a dead knock-off of George Takae.

McCoy was phenomenal. The actor captured Kelly's potrayal, but kicked it up a notch. Great job!

I thought the storyline around Captain Pike was interesting, seeing as how he was really just a peripheral character in TOS. He appeared twice, if I recall; once in "The Menagerie", which was the original pilot, but never aired until the 80s. Then again in another episode which framed scenes from "The Menagerie". Pike was in a wheelchair.

I'm soundling like quite the geek. I'm looking forward to the next one. I've always enjoyed the Star Trek movies -- even the bad ones -- but this one left me feeling like the story has a new beginning. I'm excited.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Haven't seen it, but it's on the list once the theaters thin out a bit. I hate crowded movies.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I agree with you. I have fond memories of getting to stay up till midnight on Saturday nights and watch re-runs of the original series on WGN out of Chicago when I was a kid.

The movies stayed true (as they could) to the original characters and premise.

It didn't have too much techno-speak, but IMO, that was more of a thing that came along around the time of TNG. IMO that show was too tech-heavy and not story- or character-driven enough. This one was more character-driven with enough tech stuff that you felt like the tech was part of their world, but without beating you over the head with it like they could in TNG.

I agree with the part about Uhura's character not being all that "fleshed-out" in the original series. She's definitely become more than a paper cutout in this movie. I think that some of the characters definitely picked up a bit more "realness" in this movie.

And Chekov cracked me up! Great take on the role.

Overall, I think all the characters stayed true to the classic form, especially in the circumstances depicted in the movie.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I was pleasantly surprised with the movie. Considering the horrible results with most sequels, prequels, and remakes these days, it could have easily turned out horrible but instead it actually turned out great! The ONLY thing I missed was I wish the guy playing Kirk really would have emphasized the classic Kirk speech patterns with the emphasized pauses and such.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ummm the original pilot was the cage, the menagerie was a two part episode later in the season in which spock returned pike to talos IV remember? although they where practically the same episode, so much footage form the pilot.
    havent seen it yet. am going to soon though.
    im glad they didint kill the franchise though

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I grew up watching star trek, be it the OS or the movies...then TNG. AFter that it went downhill... I have to say I thought this movie was great. But unlike some, I am glad they ditched the stacatto speech pattern of kirk. Don't get me wrong, that's classic star trek, but it was just one aspect I never cared...don't know why, just didn't. Good story development, but I'm curious if they will be "fixing" what was changed or just going from there.

And +1 on Nimoy. Glad he was in it, but you're right, he's definitely showing his age...wonder if he'll be around to cameo in the next.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    ummm the original pilot was the cage, the menagerie was a two part episode later in the season in which spock returned pike to talos IV remember? although they where practically the same episode, so much footage form the pilot.
    havent seen it yet. am going to soon though.
    im glad they didint kill the franchise though

Yep, that's right. "The Cage" was the pilot with Captain Pike. "The Menagerie" was their way of using footage from "The Cage".

Top Bottom