Texas SOT

Start an off grid training site in W Texas?? opinions??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • epsgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Off US-90
    Hi.

I am a NRA Certified Basic Pistol instructor (since 2003) and have a few MARINE / LEO buddies..

I've also done EP and Private Detective work in the past 18 years on/off.. (and have licenses to hang on my WALL)
    rolleye-.gif

I can train up to 4 people per NRA training rules for live fire..

I have obtained some decent waivers/forms as used by the bigger names in the training industry..

I can get the NRA trainer insurance also. (which I know is NOT the best). & some EXTRA GL insurance would be good..

7 miles from US-90.. road is HARD dirt and county maintained.. there is power on the road.. its about 20 miles SOUTH of Van Horn.. 150 miles SOUTH of El Paso.

I'm thinking if I build-it and HYPE it.. people will come..
    wink-.gif

heres my site: OffGridTraining.Com with a pic of the main 11 acres..

granted its still a work in progress..

What do folks think??? good idea or bad?? I have almost 500,000 sq ft outdoors.. on some flat and some hills... (you only need 435,000 for shooting on property in most areas of TX..)
    thumbs.gif

I can put up some small sheds/buildings to simulate 'kinda-sandbox' enviroments..

Albert
    Target Sports

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I personally love to see anybody make a jump to do what they love. Just do some serious research to make sure you have the market if this is an "I'm leaving my job and making a go at it" kind of move. The further away the training is from civilization, the less trouble you'll have with others, but the harder it will be to get clients - drive 3 hours for a 4 hour training class and then 3 hours back.

Good luck!

Redscout02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Corpus Christi,tx
    Yeah I agree with Mic here about the market research and it should expane beyond here. Also if your going to be out in the boonies you might want to think about RV sites for guys driving in from out of area. Great ideal good luck and hope it works.

epsgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Off US-90
    Thanks folks.. yes I plan on doing more research..

I have a RV site in Alpine about 86 miles away for $27/night.. with showers and such.. Van Horn approx 23 miles North has like 8 hotels/motels..

I have Balmorhea State Park with camping and RV camping also.. about 95 miles away.. from $6-20/night and ROOMS for $60/night.

I got the El Paso Airpost 150 miles North.. I also plan on having at least 1 office building out there and room for TENTS..

The point is to ROUGH it for 4-7 days while you learn, train, apply, then live-fire.. also having a shooting area for some people would be a plus..

Training classes are at minimum the 10 hours for the NRA Basic which would go for $160 and you'd get a Cert.. I am looking into becoming a TX CHL instructor wwhich also would yield more revenue.. :)

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    The point is to ROUGH it for 4-7 days while you learn, train, apply, then live-fire.. also having a shooting area for some people would be a plus..

if i want to go camping, then ill go camping. if i want to go to a firearms training class, then ill go to a firearms training class.

epsgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Off US-90
    @ Stumpy.. the prior poster (Mic and Redscout) mentioned places to stay.. I gave the info I have on THOSE places..

Again I'd like to simulate the whole Off Grid scenerio for people that want THAT VIBE.. and also get some decent training on the basics and some dirt-in-there-drawers..

Not selling CAMPING.. selling the training..

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I also say go for it! I'm starting a similar training venture, minus the physical range (too much expense and stuff to deal with). The real trick is making training easily accessible to the average, and most likely, uninformed person. There's TONS of training opportunities out there, but most are either substandard quality or high quality but require too much effort to find and too much expense for the average person to want to invest. Master that, come up with a good quality course curriculum and you'll be on your way.

I'll say this much, after taking the NRA basic pistol instructor course, I will not be teaching a NRA pistol course. ;) They've put together a fairly comprehensive course, but some of their material is outdated, some of it is too simplified, some of it is way too detailed, some of it is just plain incorrect, and some important things have been left out. Just my opinion but, I would consider creating your own course so you have infinite creative freedom. The average enthusiast won't be satisfied by the extremely basic nature of an NRA basic pistol course IMO. I understand the principle behind an NRA Basic Pistol course (Basic being the key word), but I personally think there are more effective ways even the average person could learn and benefit from. Two excellent books I recommend, which have helped me in designing my curriculum, are:

The Tactical Trainer - Paul Howe

Tactical Application of Practical Shooting - Pat McNamara

There's actually tons of other great books, but those are just two of the more recent ones I've read. They don't really get into specific gun handling techniques or TTP's, but rather some good fundamentals in setting up and structuring courses. Keep in mind, considering the background of those 2, some of the subjects being used (advanced hostage rescue in Paul Howe's book) are probably not applicable to most of us. Regardless there is a lot of great concepts and fundamentals to be taken away in how to setup a course, how to work with students, and other aspects of creating and running a class. I'll shut up now because I could go on forever about this stuff. ;)

epsgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Off US-90
    Thanks for all the POSITIVE attitude.. and I appreciate the reading material suggestions.. got lots of time to come up with a game plan..

Figure 1-2 for getting myself out there and then setting up a 'shop'..

Can't wait to escape (the Bristol) PA area..

ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    I have been wanting to start my own range/course for a while now. Little money and no land
    I have been wanting to start something in the north austin area, but there is already quite a few up here, and then there is the BEST OF THE WEST range which most people drool over, but IMO its a little too pricey for the "weekend shooter." I too, would like to have an Urban environment, maybe a few makeshift houses to run through. I have high hopes and large dreams. Anyone want to invest in my range or make donations? :1zhelp:haha

epsgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Off US-90
    Classes will be priced within reach of the 'commoner'.. and I figure I can erect some of those 18 foot Tee-Pee's from the SGuide for the students..

Hire a local TX CHL instructor at first and get the ball-rollin would probably help also.. 2 birds with 1 stone.. :)

Make some all inclusive packages.. & yes.. outdoors and shooting are a GREAT COMBO.. IMHO..

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    I personally would consider building a shoot house if you want to attract LE/MIL. They are easy to build and not expensive, plus it gives the average joe a chance to expeirence what a gunfight in a house is like. Ask any LE/Mil, MOUT training is a total different beast then standing and shooting at a stationary paper target. Best of luck to you!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I know where that place is. I use to go about 50 north of Van Horn a lot. Sounds like it could be a great spot to let it all hang out.
    You will also be doing your State a service. With all that live fire, the illegals wont like going anywhere near that area.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    If you are discussing it on the internet, is it really off the grid in the strictest interpretation of the phrase? Just sayin'.

Hey, the best of luck to you. That's the beauty of our capitalist system.

Top Bottom