• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I'm In The Collect Parts Stage Of My New build. So far all I have is an aero lower. It's going to be an AR10. I'll either build it for 308 or might even jump up to 300 win mag. I plan on using aero precision for the upper as well. The rest I'm not sure on. I know there will be some magpul funiture on there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    300 WM doesn't fit in a standard AR10 lower. 300 WSM does I believe.

308 will be your cheapest build but 6.5 Creedmoor ARs are all the rage right now.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I'm not sure I want the "in" caliber. And I have a 7mm. It's the weatherby 7mm mag. So I want somthing else. I will have a silencer hopeful soon that will fit on the AR10.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Here is what's done so far. I can't seem to find a trigger and hammer with all the springs I had from another ar but no big deal. It's going to take a while to finish the upper
    de6a11d908f22082fcf866422601b2e3.jpg

Swarf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    AR10 barrels other than 308 and 6.5CM are tougher to find, but not impossible. I've seen 7mm-08 and .243. AR10/LR308 patterns supports only short action though, since long action calibers will require even longer receivers and buffer tube to accommodate the COL. I don't remember seeing short magnum barrels. Their rebated rim might make extraction in a semi-auto a bit iffey. Plus the buffer spring may need to be stiffer than the typical 308 power level to withstand higher bolt thrust. You will need specialized magazines as the standard LR308 mags won't fit the short fat cases very well - if at all.

Most of us who reload sometimes prefer calibers with the same bullet diameter as our other rifles. if you don't reload, then it's less of a concern.

What buffer tube and buffer are you using?

I assume you already know about DPMS high and low pattern upper receivers. That choice will dictate your choice of handguard.

Good luck. It's for sure a fun process.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I'd have to look up the the buffer tube. I decided to stay with 308. As far as buffer goes I got the one the gun shop recommended I get. It's a short buffer designed for the 308.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I asked the guy ar the gun store what parts would he put in the lower for 308. It's a cmmg power ar 10 parts list minus the trigger. The buffer tube is from sons of liberty. The buffer spring cam in a tube with black and red paper and there is a yellow snake. The spring has red on one side of it

Swarf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    Sounds like you got a shortened buffer meant to work in a mil-spec AR carbine tube. If you got a lengthen 308 carbine buffer tube (like POF anti-tilt 7-position) you actually don't need the shortened buffer, but since you already got it... it should work fine.

Can't tell what your buffer spring is, but hopefully your gun store guy knows his stuff and sold you the right one.

Looks like you already got all the rest of the LPK, except the trigger. Any AR15 trigger with .154" pins will work in the Aero Precision lower. FWIW I got RRA 2-stage National Match Varmint version in mine.

Most of the parts in an AR15 mil-spec LPK will work in the aero 308 lower... except the takedown/pivot pins. Mil-spec bolt catch might be okay, but an enhanced one works better in the 308 lower.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Sounds like you got a shortened buffer meant to work in a mil-spec AR carbine tube. If you got a lengthen 308 carbine buffer tube (like POF anti-tilt 7-position) you actually don't need the shortened buffer, but since you already got it... it should work fine.

Can't tell what your buffer spring is, but hopefully your gun store guy knows his stuff and sold you the right one.

Looks like you already got all the rest of the LPK, except the trigger. Any AR15 trigger with .154" pins will work in the Aero Precision lower. FWIW I got RRA 2-stage National Match Varmint version in mine.

Most of the parts in an AR15 mil-spec LPK will work in the aero 308 lower... except the takedown/pivot pins. Mil-spec bolt catch might be okay, but an enhanced one works better in the 308 lower.
    I trust the guys at the gun store. I'm planning on a 2 stage trigger for sure. I need to look into an enhanced bolt catch might even do an ambidextrous one. I'm thinking since it's my first ar 10 I may trick it out with ambidextrous safty and other small but fun things to have. I figure why not. I know as far as optics I will be going with vortex. I'm kind of a vortex fanboy

Swarf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    One other good 2-stage trigger choice without spending a fortune is Geissele G2S. Brownells has it on sale now for $127.99 with free shipping. Add the $10 off coupon and it's $118 shipped. Brownells even has their own exclusive G2S-E version that is supposedly a lighter 3.5lbs pull version. Also on sale for $139.99. I get 3.2lbs with my G2S by installing a lighter disconnetor spring. My guess is that's exactly what Geissele did for Brownells. They do have a faster shooting GRF version that'll be great for 3-gun.

Larue's MBT2S gets a lot of good reports, and I may even get one to try, but we in TX pay sales tax, so the $99 deal ends up being $115. Still a great deal though, but for that price, I'd rather go with Geisele tool steel triggers.

Still... nothing beats the $75 RRA NM trigger for bang for your buck.

As for ambi safety, it's pretty much a must have for this leftie. I have Troy Ambi bolt catch on all my ARs and would too on the 308 but it doesn't fit the Aero receiver set. Not sure about the Magpul BAD lever, but I doubt it.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Larue's MBT2S gets a lot of good reports, and I may even get one to try, but we in TX pay sales tax, so the $99 deal ends up being $115. Still a great deal though, but for that price, I'd rather go with Geisele tool steel triggers.

I like the LaRue as much as the Geissele triggers. And for $99, you might get some Dillon Dust with your order. The sale on this weekend comes with the Tac which I don't care for. Would rather have the dust for smoking pork shoulders.

Swarf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    LOL... I wouldn't mind some LaRue swag or Dillon Dust like they used to send out, but evidently they don't always do that any more. How long did it take yours to arrive? From what I've read, it could take them anywhere from weeks to months to ship. Also, is the disconnector permanently pinned in? I've had good results tweaking my triggers with different spring rates and prefer to have that flexibility.

I do want to support them good ol' Texas boys though. Hopefully they'll have a nice Black Friday deal.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    The rifle us over 90% done. Just need a trigger, bcg, charging handle, optic, and a couple of mags. Plus ammo of course

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Only two issues so far are the front take down pin fits tight. And even the aero precision extended mag catch button sits to far in when threaded properly. Called aero precision but I just got voice mail. Who else bas delta with this issue

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Called aero precision and the said that I had the wrong mag catch in there. Now I just have to track the right one down

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Quick update. The rifle is built just need to get a scope on there and take it to the range to test functionality

Top Bottom