• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I decided I wanted to build a really good AR that is light enough for me to carry around if I needed.

Wow it got expensive quick.

Rock River BCG - 110

BCM Enhanced lightweight 16 midlength gas system 1:7 twist -270

battle comp - 150

midwest industries ssm rail - 190

mbus sights

rock river upper receiver - 75

Anderson Lower - 50

Geissele lower parts kit - 50

magpgul bad lever - 30

Geissele trigger - 165

MOE magpul grip - 20

Stock - MFT - 60

Charging handle - 25

Buffer tube kit - 25

Any suggestions on what I could do to cut this price down while still getting the weight and quality?
    Guns International

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Buy a factory gun already built.

Not that I am a lower snob but why all those nice parts and using an Anderson lower? Just curious.
    Because an Anderson and a billet piece will shoot identically? Would shave off fewer ounces than dollars, and it probably isn't worth it for most builds. How did Anderson get a 'low end' rep anyway, other than consistently being at the low end of the price scale?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Because an Anderson and a billet piece will shoot identically? Would shave off fewer ounces than dollars, and it probably isn't worth it for most builds. How did Anderson get a 'low end' rep anyway, other than consistently being at the low end of the price scale?

Yeah it's the same 7075 aluminum as the rest of them, I tested the weight it's identical to any other lowers. There is no need to spend money just for a name.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Again, was just curious about the lower. I don't have anything against what brand the lower is.

Just seemed an odd choice for what the total build cost is.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    BTW saw plenty of ARs covering all price ranges at the gun show in Belton.

I am sure you could find what you are looking for there.

Something I learned this weekend (and may not apply to all). Some manufacturers have minimum pricing for their dealers to sell parts at. But if the dealers build a rifle with those parts they get around that pricing and can sell for much cheaper.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    BTW saw plenty of ARs covering all price ranges at the gun show in Belton.

I am sure you could find what you are looking for there.

Something I learned this weekend (and may not apply to all). Some manufacturers have minimum pricing for their dealers to sell parts at. But if the dealers build a rifle with those parts they get around that pricing and can sell for much cheaper.

Was there for the Hamfest next door and wandered thru the gun show abt noon Sat. Bought a lb of powder. Nothing else interesting...

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Thanks for the advice folks. The LAtrue Is something I had totally forgotten about. what a great trigger for that price. As far as the compensator. It's really good and I want a really good comp on this rifle.
    MBT, Thats a good choice.

If your game, I can show you how to clean up any "kit" trigger, little dremel polishing or a sanding block, throw in a JP Spring and you've got a great trigger group, and YOU did it yourself.

Show you Saturday.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    MBT, Thats a good choice.

If your game, I can show you how to clean up any "kit" trigger, little dremel polishing or a sanding block, throw in a JP Spring and you've got a great trigger group, and YOU did it yourself.

Show you Saturday.

Then there the Aggie that was hunting in the woods. He happened upon this beautiful woman laying naked in
    the grass.

He asked her, "Are you game?"

The woman said "yes."

So he shot her.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    They still have hamfests? cool!

Yep, Belton Hamfest is a real good one. It happens twice a year and sometimes the Youth Arena is having a gun show at the same time, it's a two-fer for me. The actual posted hamfest is Sat. A lot of us get there Thursday and setup in the parking lot. Lots of stuff sold before Sat. The 3922/3918/7195 group is there with a smoker and the socializing starts Thur, we had fajitas Thur nite. Breakfast Burritos next morning.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’d look for the PSA NiB bcg & EPT combo, usually found for $100. I’d seriously consider different rails, too, but don’t have anything off the top of my head to recommend.

Top Bottom