• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Given some of the crap vehicles I see on teh road you couldn't prove we HAVE inspections.
    I guess it doesn't make a real difference given there appear to ways around it.
    Then some of the stuff they inspect is stupid. I had to take my 4Runner for a second visit because the brake light on top of the rear hatch was out.
    Everything else worked fine but they failed it for that one itty bitty light that most vehicles don't even have.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Given some of the crap vehicles I see on teh road you couldn't prove we HAVE inspections.
    I guess it doesn't make a real difference given there appear to ways around it.
    Then some of the stuff they inspect is stupid. I had to take my 4Runner for a second visit because the brake light on top of the rear hatch was out.
    Everything else worked fine but they failed it for that one itty bitty light that most vehicles don't even have.
    Same thing on my old used truck, that 3rd brake light had never worked and always passed until this last time. Had to install a new one.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    And why should that be the government’s job? Smaller government is better government!
    as a former certified vehicle safety examiner i was not employed by the state or any other goverment i only enforced the vehicle safety codesconcerning the safe operation of a vehicle on public roads! i failed many a vehicle that scared me that people operated on public roadswith no regard to the dangerous condition that their vehicle was in!

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Just curious, does anyone know of anyone being pulled over for no front plate? I know several guys who drive daily with no front plate.
    One Sunday morning in a small Texas town in my MX-5 with the top down. I didn't reach for anything because I figured he could see my hands. Handed him my DL and LTC. He asked where my gun was, I said in the glove box. He asked for my insurance, I said it's in the glove box. Let's see it. I had to reach over the gun to get the insurance card. He was cool. Gave me warning.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    So, y'all do know that with Texas out, only 10 states will require safety inspections.

When I was stationed in CA, the base had an inspoection to issue a gate stickler because CA did not have safety inspections,

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    DPS IS USUALLY THE ONLY LE THAT REALLY ENFORCEHAVING A FRONT PLATE ON A VEHICLE
    Yep.
    30 years ago I was stopped by a DPS trooper on I-35 in north Austin for lack of a proper plate on the front of my little S-10 truck. I had a Texas Lone Star Flag plate.
    He just gave me a warning - probably because he had been a junior high student of mine in the late 1970s (Texas History class).
    Besides, I told him it was unTexan to take it off.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Thread is TL;DR
    Texas will be dropping state vehicle inspections in 18 months (except counties that have emissions inspection):

This is the dumbest thing the Legislature did this session, but they only seem to be able to pass stupidity lately. Pass a budget? No, let's raise the smoking age that nobody asked for! School choice? No, let's get rid of an antiquated but effective vehicle safety inspection!
    Remember the disaster a few years ago ?- only 12 inspection stations in Houston.
    Those were state run or at least realtime video montored. Quick fizzle on that one.
    That was the emission testing fiasco that never went into effect.

Eli

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My county will still require them.

So will 16 others.
    My understanding is that it will be emissions testing only, no safety inspection for those 17 counties, mine included. My 95 GMC has aged out of the emission inspections, so that is my one vehicle I won't have to take in annually.

I wonder how they will handle license registrations then, since the inspections were/are a requirement to register the vehicle.

Top Bottom