Statue in Travis Park removed overnight.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Re: Removal vs. Destruction
    Therein lies the critical distinction.

I'm thinking relocation v. destruction is an enormous difference.
    My thinking on this has evolved. I now agree with you. I don't think removal is inherently evil as long as it's not an attempt to hide/deny/forget the past. Your examples from Germany are good ones. So I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over removal per se.

Unfortunately, most people calling/marching/rioting for removal don't want removal to a place where the statuary serves an educational purpose. The folks doing the agitating are like revolutionaries in the strictest sense; they want change and don't care about/haven't planned for what will come after. For the most part, they want the statues to come down, be moved to a crate in a warehouse, and be forgotten forever.

That's re-writing history in a way that's evil. It was in light of that motivation that I said removal vs. relocation was a distinction without a difference. I now regret that choice of words because I didn't make it clear that my statement was directed at folks who really just want to see all those statues melted down, scrubbed from the history books, and forgotten.
    Capitol Armory ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Warning: Off Topic due to thread drift...like we don't see that every day on TGT :)
    Re: Indigenous Peoples Day
    Well, in a perfect world, choosing to remember or forget or, worst of all, erase history should not be a democratic process.

History is historical.
    Agreed. Fully.

But I'm not sure that the exact name we choose to call a holiday is all that important. Moreover, I can definitely understand where the motivation arises to change the name away from "Columbus Day". While it's not something about which I could ever lose a wink of sleep, remembering history doesn't really require us to honor a guy like Columbus, does it?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Austin N4,

Fwiw, most of us Native Americans (we usually call ourselves: American Indians.) don't celebrate Columbus Day.

Instead we generally celebrate CANADIAN THANKSGIVING on the same date, complete with turkey, dressing, hot rolls, cranberry sauce, etc., etc., etc.
    (Our turkey goes into the oven about 1500 this PM. - Dinner is at 1900.)

Historical note: The REAL "First Thanksgiving" was celebrated just outside of EL PASO, TEXAS, nearly a century before the Puritans had their Thanksgiving in MA.

yours, satx

Top Bottom