• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It's a shame that the old VFW locations are dying off. The WWII and Korean war vets kinda stuck together and they were good for the community. The Vietnam vets seemed to want to forget that they were ever in the military - and considering the "welcome" they got from the Left, it's no surprise. The "Sandbox" vets seem to want to get back to regular life as well.
    Guns International

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    It's a shame that the old VFW locations are dying off. The WWII and Korean war vets kinda stuck together and they were good for the community. The Vietnam vets seemed to want to forget that they were ever in the military - and considering the "welcome" they got from the Left, it's no surprise. The "Sandbox" vets seem to want to get back to regular life as well.
    Yep, and in a nutshell, it always boils down to the perceived legitimacy, by the citizenry, of the particular war.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    For 25-30 years, I suffered the same logic as leVieux & Skfulgun did (except as an ex-buck Sgt, not an officer). I've had so many real vets tell me that "it's ok" that I now military salute the flag instead of hand-over-heart. Hell, you even welcomed me here knowing I was NG.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Any BLAME belongs to the politicians and the "military-industrial complex", not the military personnel.

During the early parts of "Vietnam", some of Dad's old WWII Officer comrades had become Generals. Sometimes they'd overnight at his home. Once they had a couple shots, they'd emphatically blame Teddy Kennedy for our non-winning policies and for many of the unnecessary deaths & injuries our people suffered.

Dumpnpump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    My wife and I make a habit of acknowledging vets from all wars. We saw a WWII vet the other day. I was never in but make a point of acknowledging Vietnam era vets. They got a shit deal. I usually thank them for going to SE Asia so that I didn't have to.

Niemand Besonderes

Nobody Special
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Williamson County
    I wouldn't have any problem with anyone who served just one term of enlistment honorably, even without ever being deployed calling himself a veteran. You gave up a certain amount of your freedom to serve just like the rest of us and that makes you part of the Brotherhood.

OP raises a good question though. Maybe it would be helpful to make distinctions like, Combat Veteran, War Veteran, Service Veteran, etc. I understand the hesitancy for someone who served but never got to deploy, or even see combat, to throw himself into the same category of an Airborne Ranger or something.

I deployed to Bosnia for "peace keeping" in '99 as an Army infantryman. That wasn't enough to get us the coveted Combat Infantry Badge, but it did make us eligible for the VFW.

When I deployed to Baghdad in '04, I got into some gun-fighting here and there (not as much as I'd like) but even if I hadn't, I still would have "earned" my CIB. Would that have made me a combat vet? Just because I have a badge that says so? I don't know.

Honestly, Ive always been uncomfortable with the "higher level of citizen" status that civilians seem to bestow on vets.

-Niemand

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    AL/VFW have no one to blame but themselves. They scorned Viet Nam vets and would not help them with issues like Agent Orange. They were also out of touch with other problems of VN vets. That's why Viet Nam Veterans of America (VVA) got started.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Not looking for technicalities, just y’all’s honest opinions.

I grew-up listening to the WWII VETS. Dad had been all over and spent over a year & a half in Combat areas of Europe. 3 # of my 4 Uncles were Enlisted Sailors i the USN in the Pacific, also combat.

I was just in the USAR, Medical Corps, a Captain 3900 for 7 years but the longest I was on active duty was about 17 days at one time. So, I never considered myself a Vet, nor called myself a Vet.

Friend asked me to join our hometown American Legion Post, which is dying-out. I told him that I was not eligible, but he showed me that I was, so I joined.

Still never called myself a VET, but our youngest, who did 2 tours as a USMC Sergeant, now tells me that I’m a Vet.

I never got any farther than the Officer’s Club @ Fort Sill, spent most of my time supervising WO-PA’s at Darnall or Renolds Hospitals (Hood & Fort Sam). I always preface with “I was IN during “Nam, but I never went anywhere or did anything!” So, no “valor” here, no way.

Question now is how would/do you REAL VETS feel today about someone like me being considered or called a “Vet” ? The few old Buddies I have left who did go say “No big deal”. (I’m in my 80th year.)

Please tell me.

Thanks,
    leVieux
    Mister, you were at the same risk of being sent to any worldwide shithole in harms way at Uncle Sam's whim or need...therefore you are a veteran my friend.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    A Discharge from Service is the result of serving your Country. Veteran status isn't determined by Branch of service, time served, rank, duty station, MOS.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My father served in the Air Force for ten years during the period of the Vietnam War, but never left stateside during his service career. My uncle served for over 22 years in the Navy, did two tours in Vietnam during his career in the Navy.

I consider both of them to be veterans in the service of our country.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Thanks
    I hadn’t thought of it that way.
    My buddy and I signed up at the same time. He was shipped to Thailand ( when nobody went to Thailand-officially anyhow) and I was shipped stateside. Could have been reversed. No logic to what the government does. Be proud to be part of the 3% that served.

Top Bottom