• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You really just cannot get a perfect steak in a restaurant. I've been to some pretty high dollar steakhouses where some of the steaks run you over $100 a piece (Kobe Beef), and with regular repeatability I am able to produce the same if not better results at home.

To me, a good ribeye makes for a good steak if you are on the cheap, but the higher grade sirloins make better steaks and they are so juicy they leave a sea of juice on the plate without all the heavy fat.

I've learned that using good meat, searing it, keeping the spice simple, and slow cooking it makes excellent results for medium rare - medium well steaks. Even the well done steaks I've done have had some juiciness to them.
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Pic as proof of sirloin soup.

steak.jpg

Started life as a USDA Choice Sirloin.

TXchoctaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Euless
    I agree, my wife and like to have a good steak at least once a month. We have the same problem here in the Metroplex.

I have a real hard time justifying the cost when they bring out what I consider "Black Angus" and have them tell me how proud they are. Then it tastes like cardboard or worse.

I do some work for a Japanese restaurant and he will get me some #2 Kobe from time to time and I will prepare it...now that's good eatin'.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    That is a good looking steak. That is about medium rare. I agree about cooking better steaks at home.
    I personally like mine with the horns and hide knocked off and walk it to the plate.
    A little salt and pepper and a screaming hot fire( I prefer charcoal over gas).

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I just noticed a can of Bushs baked beans in the background. YES, I can eat those out of the can. Quit teasing with steak and bean pictures.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That is a good looking steak. That is about medium rare. I agree about cooking better steaks at home.
    I personally like mine with the horns and hide knocked off and walk it to the plate.
    A little salt and pepper and a screaming hot fire( I prefer charcoal over gas).

That one is medium, it's kinda red from being wood fired and the camera settings. Another little trick I use to obtain excellent steak quality.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Very nice looking steak. I agree, restauants often get it wrong. Good butcher shops are getting harder and harder to find as most stores now sell boxed beef. Heck, I don't remember the last time I saw a truck set up for hanging beef. (very weird to drive I am told)

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Most meat wholesale companies will butcher to your spec and vac-pac for you but you have to buy them by the case.
    Before my "economy" created pay cut 1st of 2009 that's what I've done for years.
    Check with your local restaurant supply companies. Some times they have cases that were crushed and restaurants will not buy them that way and they sell it almost at cost.
    There is nothing wrong with the product, just high end restaurants will not take them.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I smoked some flat iron chuck steaks last night and they came out like a mini brisket only lean! and just this side of medium rare. (my wife wont eat medium rare I love it) I might just try and repeat the process tonight! Good cooking thread Alan I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    A cheap cut I started buying at the Commissary while in Japan was the Tri-Tip steaks. I now get them from Costco. They come 3-6 in a pack ~ $4-$5 each and are good sized. 7-8oz would be a minimum.

Since we had to cook over a propane grill I used McCormick's Mesquite rub and some extra virgin olive oil to marinade the steaks for ~ 1hr or two prior to grilling. I prefer medium well served with steamed rice and ranch style beans.

This cut works really well if you must use the oven method (sear 30sec each side, 3-7min 500* oven to done). Makes a super-juicy steak.

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    Personally, the best steak I ever ate was from a calf that was 100% corn-fed from weaning that my father-in-law and his friend went together on. The friend had 10 acres, so they got a feeder calf and piglet, fed them nothing but corn-feed, butchered them when they got big enough, and split all of the costs and the meat 50/50. That was the best meat I ever had. Don't know why they didn't do it again. many times I wished that I had property upon which to do the same.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Pic as proof of sirloin soup.

steak.jpg

Started life as a USDA Choice Sirloin.

Oh boy! I'm comin' to your house fer supper!!! Steak, beans and a big ol' tater and some sweet iced tea to wash it down. Then afterwards you can show me your collections of 1911's. ;)

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I've had some great sirloins and ribeyes over the years. A smoked sirloin is another good option. I need to try the local butcher here, still haven't after so many years. My mom orders from www.omahasteaks.com and gotten some good deals (according to her) and good products.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Salt and pepper, sear hard for a couple of minutes on each side, rest for five minutes, cut and eat. It should be almost black on the outside, dark red in the middle.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I like medium rare a little more well done than the one Alan posted and I'm in heaven. I like and can eat the ones like that but it's not my absolute favorite.

Top Bottom