Steaks

Discussion in 'Cooking & BBQ' started by Texas1911, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You really just cannot get a perfect steak in a restaurant. I've been to some pretty high dollar steakhouses where some of the steaks run you over $100 a piece (Kobe Beef), and with regular repeatability I am able to produce the same if not better results at home.

To me, a good ribeye makes for a good steak if you are on the cheap, but the higher grade sirloins make better steaks and they are so juicy they leave a sea of juice on the plate without all the heavy fat.

I've learned that using good meat, searing it, keeping the spice simple, and slow cooking it makes excellent results for medium rare - medium well steaks. Even the well done steaks I've done have had some juiciness to them.

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Pic as proof of sirloin soup.

[​IMG]

Started life as a USDA Choice Sirloin.

3. TXchoctaw

TXchoctaw Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Euless
    I agree, my wife and like to have a good steak at least once a month. We have the same problem here in the Metroplex.

I have a real hard time justifying the cost when they bring out what I consider "Black Angus" and have them tell me how proud they are. Then it tastes like cardboard or worse.

I do some work for a Japanese restaurant and he will get me some #2 Kobe from time to time and I will prepare it...now that's good eatin'.

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Completely agree.

5. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    That is a good looking steak. That is about medium rare. I agree about cooking better steaks at home.
    I personally like mine with the horns and hide knocked off and walk it to the plate.
    A little salt and pepper and a screaming hot fire( I prefer charcoal over gas).

6. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I just noticed a can of Bushs baked beans in the background. YES, I can eat those out of the can. Quit teasing with steak and bean pictures.:texas:

7. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That one is medium, it's kinda red from being wood fired and the camera settings. Another little trick I use to obtain excellent steak quality.

8. Hawghauler

Hawghauler Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Very nice looking steak. I agree, restauants often get it wrong. Good butcher shops are getting harder and harder to find as most stores now sell boxed beef. Heck, I don't remember the last time I saw a truck set up for hanging beef. (very weird to drive I am told)

9. drj3828

drj3828 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
  10. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Most meat wholesale companies will butcher to your spec and vac-pac for you but you have to buy them by the case.
    Before my "economy" created pay cut 1st of 2009 that's what I've done for years.
    Check with your local restaurant supply companies. Some times they have cases that were crushed and restaurants will not buy them that way and they sell it almost at cost.
    There is nothing wrong with the product, just high end restaurants will not take them.