• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perdurabo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Does anyone know of anyone in central Texas who can fabricate steel targets and steel paper target stands of the sort that this fellow makes:

Hanging Targets

Ive bought from The Metal Man before and like his swinging gong targets but his pricing and shipping charges have gotten a bit too high for my liking, so I'm wondering if I can find someone locally who has experience making steel targets and steel paper target frames who might be able to make these more affordably.

I need someone with specific experience making steel targets who knows the issues involved regarding hardness and deflection angles, etc. Just some random steel company or bubba with a welder wont do.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
    Guns International

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Are you looking for someone that will take The Metal Man's designs and duplicate them cheaper or someone that makes their own?

The first scenario is, kill small US manufacturing and outsource to China so I can get cheap stuff-like.

Not to go eco-political or anything. (is that a word? ) If you can find someone that makes their own, in Texas, that would be great. Or design your own and have someone make them, although some shops might be weary and worried about design infringements.

perdurabo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Theres nothing proprietary or licenseable about Metal Man's steel target designs. Just about everyone who makes steel targets uses designs very similar if not exactly like these. I'm just looking for someone in central Texas who has experience making steel targets similar to these who can sell them to me for a lower cost than Metal Man and more importantly, i don't have to pay the shipping charges.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    You'd think there weren't that many people that make these things and it would be easy to find the one that do. Or, ask metal shops in the area if they know. It may but something very different for what they do, but if they're in the metal fab business, they should know others in the area to.

Or call training centers who buy and use them to see where they get theirs from.

May be a long shot but good luck.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    The non swinging paper stands are not that hard to make yourself. Go to Lowes/Home Depot... your favorite hardware store buy some PVC pipe, elbow joints, some 1"X2", PVC glue, and some of the biggest nails they sell. Using the PVC pipe, elbows, and glue make a U shape that is the width of your target and about 3' tall. Drill a couple of holes through the bottom of the U so that you can use the giant nails as stakes. Put the 1x2 in the vertical sections and trim to length. Real CHEAP, light, durable and easy to replace if you shoot through it. If you want to get tricky replace the elbows with T joints and you can make a stand with removable legs that looks very similar to the metal ones he has. The swingers may require a bit more creativity, but I bet you could whip something up out of PVC or wood yourself.

Millerwb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Bryan
    I would think that anyone with a welder could make these. You would need a plasma cutter to cut the steel plate. You could purchase the plate at a scrap yard (may have to weld two pieces together). Looks like something rather simple to build.

Top Bottom