• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The bimetal projectile sparks when hitting concrete or steel.......the unburned powder on indoor range floors can be a serious fire hazard............

Very easy to separate steel cases from brass.....with a magnet.......

Aluminum is pain, though...........
    Easier to pickup steel than brass. Magnet. Brownells did a YouTube video recently and concluded steel was fine. With the Russian stuff being banned though we may be lucky to see steel.
    Lynx Defense

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Easier to pickup steel than brass. Magnet. Brownells did a YouTube video recently and concluded steel was fine. With the Russian stuff being banned though we may be lucky to see steel.

I saw that video. They did not address indoor ranges and bimetal projectiles, They said it was unlikely most folks will ever shoot enough to harm their barrels, but bimetal projectiles do wear a barrel faster than copper/lead......also, that steel was hard on ejectors.....but did debunk most of the myths around steel ammo.....

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I took an AK74M out a few times with Wolf Military Classic (lacquer coated steel case). I wasn't shooting full auto, or particularly fast semi auto, but the lacquer did get gummy and eventually cause extraction and feeding problems within 3 (30 round) magazines. I had to jam a cleaning rod down the barrel to punch out the shell which was "glued" to the inside of the chamber. Kept wondering how this could NOT be a problem with the military in a real, sustained firefight.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I really do believe you guys, but I've shot thousands of steel case and have never had a single stuck case. I've got over 12k steel case rnds in the ammo room because I've never had an issue. When your round got stuck, did you fire 3 mags, leave one in the chamber and let it cool?

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    No, it progressively got worse. Bolt was not quite moving smoothly, and there would be a delay before it returned to battery, like the shell needed a split second with the bolt pushing on it to fully chamber. Another round or two later, the rifle fired, but the extractor did not pull the shell free and then the bolt tried to feed a fresh round but only served to hammer the spent shell in farther.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Also, I wonder if waiting between rounds actually makes it worse...the chamber cools and the lacquer gets extra gummy.

Finally, I have lacquered steel for the 74, but polymer coated steel for the 47. No problems with the polymer.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The biggest issues with steel cased ammo is that they burn dirty and are usually loaded on the lighter side.

The combo of those two can cause ejection issues.

I reload so it's really a moot point to me.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I saw that video. They did not address indoor ranges and bimetal projectiles, They said it was unlikely most folks will ever shoot enough to harm their barrels, but bimetal projectiles do wear a barrel faster than copper/lead......also, that steel was hard on ejectors.....but did debunk most of the myths around steel ammo.....
    This is enough to change my mind. I am training to compete in the Tactical Games next year, so I shoot quite a bit. If was just a plinker with a couple hundred rounds per month, I wouldn't care. I don't reload right now because I don't a have the space until our house is done, so that isn't a factor either. I went through 1500 rounds last month on pistol alone. My training rifle is a .22, so its a non-issue.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I took an AK74M out a few times with Wolf Military Classic (lacquer coated steel case). I wasn't shooting full auto, or particularly fast semi auto, but the lacquer did get gummy and eventually cause extraction and feeding problems within 3 (30 round) magazines. I had to jam a cleaning rod down the barrel to punch out the shell which was "glued" to the inside of the chamber. Kept wondering how this could NOT be a problem with the military in a real, sustained firefight.

I have shot a metric shitload of Wolf Military Classic 7.62x39 through my AKs and I've never had a problem. Not one. Ever.

And given the trillions of rounds of the stuff the Soviet/Russian/Warsaw Pact countries have shot over the decades, I have never heard of an AK having an issue in a real, sustained firefight.

In firearms designed to use steel ammo, it's not an issue.

Top Bottom