• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I was wandering around A sports store (not sure if we can name names here) picking up a rifle case when I noticed they where selling Stevens 200's in 7mm-08 and .270win for only 179.99, We'll I just had to pick one up. After taxes came to around $195.. can't beat that especially after looking these guns up online I've seen them go for $350. I was wondering if anyone else owns one of these rifles and would like to comment on their accuracy/performance so I can compare that to my shooting when I take it to the range next week.

Thanks for any info.
    DK Firearms

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I got it at an aforementioned unmentionable place in Austin, I'll send you a private message. I just came back from buying some weaver scope bases and rings as well as an inexpensive Tasco scope (it's a $195 gun, I feel it would be insulting to put a expensive scope on it). I'll go ahead and post pics.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Stevens_200..jpg

There she is... total net price with scope base/rings/Tasco 3-9X40 is $240. Not bad if you ask me!

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Since it seems to me no one has given a range report on this rifle, I'll go ahead and give a range report when I take it shooting this next Mon-Tues.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm guessing you got it at Academy... Was it on sale or was that the normal price? Who cares about WT's store prejudice, say where you got it from

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Yes, it was at Academy... not sure if it was a sale price.. saw the tag... had to buy. Might go back and pick up another in 7mm-08.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I was out at the range and one of the shooters had one of these Stevens 200 rifles. It shot pretty well at 100 yards and after looking at his, I decided to get one.....pronto!

I bought one of the rifles in .270 Win about 5 days ago. The guys at Academy told me that the company had stocked up on them for Christmas and sales were awful. In fact, the store I went to sold zero! So they got stuck with a buttload of rifles which brings us to the sale....... $179!

I researched the rifle carefully. The Stevens name has long been associated with Savage but they use it now for a cheaper line of rifles. The stock is pillar bedded and is the same stock that was used for the Savage line before updating it. The trigger is the same one offered in Savage before the "accutrigger" came out. The barrel is held on to the receiver with the same big nut that Savage rifles use.

Finish is supposed to be not as nice but I never noted that. I've read that the stock is flimsy. I don't have any complaints there, either. I think folks just want to bitch about something.

Can't say I like the color of the stock but I might slap some paint on it. The stock has a built in 4 round magazine with no floorplate.

I installed a Weaver base but the spacing on the .270 long action was too long to position the rings on the scope correctly. Using that base, the front ring was positioned over the bell of the objective lens. I got an "extended" Weaver base for the Savage 200 and the problem was solved for $7.50. The base I used was for a Stevens 200 and the extended base (one half of the pair) was for a Savage 110. Installing the extended base pad backwards, the ring was moved behind the objective lens bell. Just be sure you get a base designed for the round, not flat receiver.

The Stevens 200 is a damned nice rifle. It's not a Remington 700 but it isn't intended to be. In fact, some of the cheaper Remingtons with the pressed in barrels make me shudder. This rifle has all of the features the older Savage "pre-accutrigger" rifles have.

Trigger pull is about 5 pounds. My Remington came to me with an 8 pound trigger pull. That's crap!

This is my second Stevens/Savage. I sold my Savage 10FP in .308 but it was a terrific rifle.

For $179, I am tickled to death to get this rifle!

Flash

Top Bottom