• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Got a chance to shoot a customers Steyr Scout last weekend as well. I was surprised by how light the entire rifle was, especially after playing with 12+ lb. competition bolt-guns. One downside to the weight is the rifle tries to do flips when you shoot it; control is not in it's job description.

The factory scope is a 1 MOA Leupold and gives you a good open field of view, but lacks magnification to be effective much beyond 150 - 200 yards. It'd be a fun hog gun, or an excellent ranch rifle.

The barrel is a lightweight fluted design and certainly warms up (and cools) quick. With the short length and skinny barrel the Scout is going to, more than likely, be picky with it's ammo. It seemed to like the 168 grain Sierra Match Kings, but then again, I haven't found a single .308 that doesn't.

The action felt nice, right on par with a quality Remington 700. The stock has a nifty feature in that it holds a spare magazine in the rear.

Pull weight on the trigger is a tad heavy, but it does have good feel. Certainly the premise behind this entire platform is a snap shot or two rather than a drawn out shootout, and for that ... it's certainly filled the niche.
    Capitol Armory ad

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    They are definitely sweet rifles. From what I remember Col. Coopers goal was total weight at 6#, so yeah its going to kick and flip a bit. You should be able to replace the stock rubber butt pad with a limbsaver though and alleviate some of the mule headedness. I belive the stock has the same rear profile as the other Steyr SBS rifles.

The rifle was probably produced with a 1:12 twist barrel so the 168's should do very well. If its 1:10 it may like the 175's even better.

The 2.75-3X scope doesnt do much in the magnification arena, but that shouldnt be an issue. Gotta remember people use open sights at 1000. On the other hand the coarse reticle that Col. Cooper wanted designed will cover a lot of target at extended ranges. But then the rifle wasnt designed as a long range sniper rifle. It was designed as a general purpose hunting rifle capable of delivering Minute of "Boiler Room" shots inside of 300. All in a lightweight easy to hump rifle. I think Steyr did a very good job of taking the Colonels ideas and making them a reality. Just wish they werent as hard to find and expensive.

Top Bottom