• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    So because you're annoyed at their message it's ok for the state to forcibly remove them from a public place where they were told they could demonstrate? I get pretty annoyed at protesters in general and think the westboro baptist clowns are down right repugnant, but there's quite a bit of difference between the WBC being drowned out by several biker's exercising their free speech with strait pipes, and the conspiracy nuts being told they can demonstrate in a certain spot and then the police lining up shoulder to shoulder and physically shoving them out.

The hardest part about freedom is letting the other guy have his.

You missed post #33.
    ARJ Defense ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You missed post #33.
    You missed the last sentence in my post. I get that your motives are a bit selfish when you want to selectively support free speech. My motives are selfish as well when I get upset about free speech (or any right) being limited. It dawned on me a long time ago that if someone else's rights can be trampled by the state simply because I don't agree with hem, then my rights can be as well.

If the westboro idiots are on public property, then yeah they should be able to have their little protests. They are quite extremely out numbered in their opinions however, and can easily be blocked out by a counter protest. Free speech is a right of the people and it works both ways. I do have an issue with the state limiting free speech, and we all have an issue when someone someone changes the rules on the fly, orders cops to line up shoulder, and forcefully push demonstrators out of an area that they were already allowed to be in (if i'm understanding the events at Dealey Plaza correctly...).

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Dan, I don't like sounding like a broken record here but I'm going to. I stated that in post #33. I quoted and bolded it so you could see it better. I'm telling you clearly and for the second time now since you addressed me, I already hold the opinion of the point you are repeating.

I wanted to pull this on out on it's own. But you are right.

Can I ask where you were when the WBC was being pushed back from Chris Kyle's memorial service?

I was there that day. Lots of updates going around, last minute changes to schedules and that sort of thing. Several day before the WBC popped up and said they were coming to protest. And they did. But I took absolute great pleasure in the fact that their message that day was effectively ineffective. They had specific requirements to stay in their free speech zone "way over there". Away from the family, friends and folks who came to honor the fallen man. I would imagine they were very unhappy about the location they had to protest from. Technically they were able to exercise their right to protest. (I do recognize there were conditions placed on it. I recall a last minute law pushed through that required them to be X-amount of distance from IIRC the property of the venue.)

Maybe I don't really mean yes when I say I support the 1A...unless it serves my cause? If I really supported 1A then I'd be complaining about WBCs treatment on their behalf. But I'm not.

So where does that put me?

I do know I don't want to be denied my rights. In turn others can't be denied theirs. How hard I fight for that may be influenced by the subject it is about. It makes a pretty good case to call me selfish. I don't think I am a good person for a lot of the fault's I have.

In this particular incident, I don't have a position the JFK assassination. So the message one way or another doesn't sway me. If you want textbook, of course all rights should not be infringed. Quite simply I'm not going out of my way to defend the group or the event. I don't know what happened when or how who did what. Just don't care about the message. And because of that my initial post speaking generically about message delivery and receptiveness of the crowd. Let whoever have their thing. The other side can have theirs somewhere else. Unless the protestors aren't validated unless they have an event? WBC message can't be validated unless they are protesting funerals. Otherwise, when else are they in the news?

I'm not going to be bullied about this. If you are accusing me of not supporting 1A rights then you ought to take a look at yourself too. All of you. I'm not defending or promoting anything the WBC does. I wish they'd all disappear and never emotionally torment another grieving family again. But if you're questioning me about not supporting our rights you sure as hell had better say that you stood up to ensure the WBC had access to protest Chris Kyle's funeral.

Top Bottom