• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I’m looking into getting a new chainsaw. Budget is $400 max. Looking at the 50cc sized saws.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...ium=Logging > Chainsaws&utm_source=Google_LIA

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-450-Rancher-20-in-50-2-cc-2-Cycle-Gas-Chainsaw/1000257541

These two are just examples. Looking for others opinions. I’ve kinda settled on these two brands. At this rate either one seems subjective
    I cut a lot of mesquite, red oak, pecan, basically anything in south Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I’m looking into getting a new chainsaw. Budget is $400 max. Looking at the 50cc sized saws.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200743818_200743818?cm_mmc=Google-LIA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz9Gu4aj46QIVUL7ACh2VRgI7EAQYAiABEgJaUPD_BwE&utm_campaign=Stihl&utm_content=63873&utm_medium=Logging > Chainsaws&utm_source=Google_LIA

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-450-Rancher-20-in-50-2-cc-2-Cycle-Gas-Chainsaw/1000257541

These two are just examples. Looking for others opinions. I’ve kinda settled on these two brands. At this rate either one seems subjective
    I cut a lot of mesquite, red oak, pecan, basically anything in south Texas

Cutting hardwoods, all 3 you mentioned, will wear out bars and chains way before you can puke a clutch or engine. If proper maintenance is given. Save a few bucks on the powerhead. Spend it on the business end.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Cutting hardwoods, all 3 you mentioned, will wear out bars and chains way before you can puke a clutch or engine. If proper maintenance is given. Save a few bucks on the powerhead. Spend it on the business end.

That’s very true. All the youtubers in the pacific north west make it look easy, cutting their pines and birches

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    If you go with Stihl, get the 291 instead of the 271. Same weight, but a little more grunt.

Or, even better if you could add $200 to your budget, get the 261. It’s more powerful than either of those, weighs a lot less, has a professional build quality, and just absolutely rips. I’ve got one and I love it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Both are good brands of chainsaws, but in my professional opinion, I'd have to go with the Stihl. Just a little bit better saw. And as mentioned, get better bars and chains, and a high quality bar oil.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Go with Stihl.

I own 5 chain saws,... use 3 of them a lot.
    I’ve had mostly Stihl and one Echo..
    Best oiling systems and they start when they are hot or cold.

If I had to rank brands, it would be :

Stihl
    Echo
    Husky.. in that order.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    And he cuts rocks.

Alright well it sounds like stihl is the common winner. I was leaning towards that already. I’m an amateur about this stuff. Enlighten me on these upgraded bars and chains for hardwoods y’all keep mentioning

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Alright well it sounds like stihl is the common winner. I was leaning towards that already. I’m an amateur about this stuff. Enlighten me on these upgraded bars and chains for hardwoods y’all keep mentioning

Roller tips on the bars, and carbide tipped chains. Might have to search in your area for a dealer that can order them. Not likely many will keep them in stock.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2015
    Stihl for sure for me.

Regardless of the brand, one of the big things that people neglect is the maintenance of the saw. When you are not going to use the saw for more than a week, you must clean it, empty the gas, etc. If you don't store it properly, the gas will gum up and starting the saw becomes difficult.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Just use the bar and chain that comes on your new saw.
    And for Pete’s sake, use real bar oil and not anything else. Bar and chain oil has adhesive additives to make it tacky and stringy when it gets hot so it won’t sling off.

Buy the saw that is one size bigger than you think you need..and learn how to use it within it’s limits and you’ll do fine.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Stihl for sure for me.

Regardless of the brand, one of the big things that people neglect is the maintenance of the saw. When you are not going to use the saw for more than a week, you must clean it, empty the gas, etc. If you don't store it properly, the gas will gum up and starting the saw becomes difficult.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I’ve had plenty of bad experience with gummed up carburetors

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I’ve had plenty of bad experience with gummed up carburetors

Buy the Stihl MotoFuel. It's pre-mixed gas and oil and way better for the chainsaw than the gas you can buy at the stations. It's a bit more expensive, but your new saw will last longer, and you won't need to drain the fuel when you get finished using the saw and it's going to set for a while.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    How often do you plan on using it and how much will you use it each time you cut? Remember ethanol fuel doesn't do any good to a carb that it sits in too long. If it's a once or twice a year thing, you'll have to be sure to use sta-bil or better yet, run it out of fuel each time.

Top Bottom