ARJ Defense ad

Still looking for some place to kill hogs.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    I don’t take many pictures, but this video shows the basics. Simple. Easy. Clean.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Neither. I learned this method back country antelope hunting when you need to pack out light. One more step to remove the bones and you can leave the skin and bones behind. It translates very well to hog.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Hogs I do pretty much like the video above. Deer I also do on the tailgate. Except I start skinning on the belly. Peel the skin, take the backstraps and hind quarters. Then split the sternum and pelvis, lift and let the guts fall out and off to the side, cut around the asshole. Then finish quartering and pull the tenderloins.
    Quick and easy, less mess and very little chance of tainted meat from torn guts.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Almost forgot.
    Shoot it, skin it, cut it up and in the freezer. Usually within 10-12 hours. I have had them from shot to frozen in under 5 hours.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you tried some of the areas around DFW that offer public hunting for hogs? Lake Lavon and Lake Lewsiville for a few. Look em up on the internet or the US Army Corps of Engineer land.

Look up Lake Lavon Hunting.

Few bucks for permits and valid TX hunting licenses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Have you tried some of the areas around DFW that offer public hunting for hogs? Lake Lavon and Lake Lewsiville for a few. Look em up on the internet or the US Army Corps of Engineer land.

Look up Lake Lavon Hunting.

Few bucks for permits and valid TX hunting licenses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Is that considered Type II hunting land? A buddy his son & I checked that out 25 years ago for deer hunting. Scared me enough that I'd never go back. Picture the village idiot getting drunk & high pick up their scoped rifle @ Walmart & heading out to the woods. Now multiple the idiots considering how close the land is between major cities.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I was approached by a farmer/rancher who stated he had a hog problem. We talked and he wanted to charge me $$ to take out the hogs on his land. I told him he didn't have a hog problem.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I enjoyed hunting at Langley ranch for feral hogs. As an added bonus he took us out at night for some varmint hunting. He also has deer and turkeys on his ranch. This was no charge for the varmint hunting as the varmints eat turkey eggs and kill the turkeys and some Deer. My partner shot a nice sized Bobcat and had it mounted. We killed some raccoons and saw some foxes or wolves but couldn't get a clear shot at them. There was no charge for this. They have a place to bunk with a kitchen to cook in. the lodging was only $25.00 a night. BBQ Equipment is also available. He has a walk-in cooler. Plus he cut up our hogs for $20.00. I was like here take my money. I enjoyed my time there and it didn't damage the wallet too much.

http://texaswildhoghunting.com/mainpage.html

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Nope. Not necessary if you soak the dressed quarters and such.
    I'm going to tell you why I'm against soaking game meat in a cooler with ice & water. Most everywhere in the USA our water has added crap like chlorine & fluoridation. Neither in amounts that will kill you, but you can see the difference & I believe taste it too. Hell I can buy enhanced pork with it added saline in the grocery store! (Yard Bird too) While the way most people do their game meat works for them it has a lot to do with not knowing better.

Those hogs I was roasting a few years ago where the nicest pork I ever seen & I was a meat cutter for 36 years. I get it that skinning a hog is a easy way to process it! I have to ask how many here have had pork chops with the skin skill on? You aint lived until to had them fried in a little lard & the rind crunches up.

Top Bottom