ARJ Defense ad

Still looking for some place to kill hogs.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I enjoyed hunting feral pigs at the Langley Ranch in Centerville
    In addition to hog hunting, he took us out at night to hunt varmints that feasted on his turkeys. we took out some coons and my friend took out a bobcat which was mounted. He also has lodging on his place it was 25.00 a night ait had a stocked kitchen and BBQ pits you can use. he also had satellite TV. He doesn't charge a lodging fee for school-age kids. He also has a walk-in cooler. I don't know if he still does it but he charged me $25.00 to skin and quarter the hog. I handed the man $25.00 I killed a sow that had not had any litters yet. My total cost for lodging and the hunt was $225.00 that included quartering the hog. They also don't mix hunting parties. If you brought the wife and school-age kids he would charge $25 a night lodging for none hunters.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I enjoyed hunting feral pigs at the Langley Ranch in Centerville
    In addition to hog hunting, he took us out at night to hunt varmints that feasted on his turkeys. we took out some coons and my friend took out a bobcat which was mounted. He also has lodging on his place it was 25.00 a night ait had a stocked kitchen and BBQ pits you can use. he also had satellite TV. He doesn't charge a lodging fee for school-age kids. He also has a walk-in cooler. I don't know if he still does it but he charged me $25.00 to skin and quarter the hog. I handed the man $25.00 I killed a sow that had not had any litters yet. My total cost for lodging and the hunt was $225.00 that included quartering the hog. They also don't mix hunting parties. If you brought the wife and school-age kids he would charge $25 a night lodging for none hunters.
    Sounds fair ,free range or game fenced?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Something I don't understand. I read constantly that Hogs are an invasion, a plague of a war that Texas is not winning. So bad that the state no longer requires a license to hunt them!!! So the OP wants to try it out. "Have gun will travel." And the poor under seige land owners rear up and say not only do you have to have my permission (of course) but you must to fork over money so I can make money on you helping me out. Seems to me it can be one way, a war, or another, a way to make money. But not both. My first response is F*** you! Go drown in your own pig shit. Let your horses and cows all run around on crutches.
    Needless to say I don't hunt. But I support hunting and land owners rights. I'd expect in a war owners would be standing at the fence handing out permission slips.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Something I don't understand. I read constantly that Hogs are an invasion, a plague of a war that Texas is not winning. So bad that the state no longer requires a license to hunt them!!! So the OP wants to try it out. "Have gun will travel." And the poor under seige land owners rear up and say not only do you have to have my permission (of course) but you must to fork over money so I can make money on you helping me out. Seems to me it can be one way, a war, or another, a way to make money. But not both. My first response is F*** you! Go drown in your own pig shit. Let your horses and cows all run around on crutches.
    Needless to say I don't hunt. But I support hunting and land owners rights. I'd expect in a war owners would be standing at the fence handing out permission slips.
    Pretty much the way it is. Backasswords. And I feel the same way towards them but then it’s a very LARGE liability for them. So all is good!

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    The landowner sets the terms, and you can agree to them or decline. Charging you for the privilege of doing them a favor is not unique to Texas.

Years ago in South Africa, I was offered the "opportunity" to kill a camel. The stated reason was that it had kicked three of the farmer's blesboks to death.

I said, "Alright, I'll shoot it for you, and I won't charge you for my time and ammunition."

The farmer looked at me as if thunderstruck. He replied, "No, I'd like to get 5000 Rand for it" (about $500 at the time).

I explained that I was taking time out of my safari to help HIM out, and shooting it did nothing for me, only him. He demurred, stating that he needed to get paid for it.

On my way out the gate, I asked him how many more blesboks he could afford to lose until the camel's killing spree cost him more than it was worth to him. :green:

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    I left. I presume he was going to keep trying to sell it to some fool.

One of the biggest shams in South Africa was the "rogue white rhino" that they'd try to sell to visiting American clients. The only rogues were the landowners and PHs trying to snooker clients.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Sigh.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The landowner sets the terms, and you can agree to them or decline. Charging you for the privilege of doing them a favor is not unique to Texas.

Years ago in South Africa, I was offered the "opportunity" to kill a camel. The stated reason was that it had kicked three of the farmer's blesboks to death.

I said, "Alright, I'll shoot it for you, and I won't charge you for my time and ammunition."

The farmer looked at me as if thunderstruck. He replied, "No, I'd like to get 5000 Rand for it" (about $500 at the time).

I explained that I was taking time out of my safari to help HIM out, and shooting it did nothing for me, only him. He demurred, stating that he needed to get paid for it.

On my way out the gate, I asked him how many more blesboks he could afford to lose until the camel's killing spree cost him more than it was worth to him. :green:

Attachments

• IMG_4018.JPG
      IMG_4018.JPG
      850.6 KB · Views: 398

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

IMG_4018.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4018.JPG
      IMG_4018.JPG
      850.6 KB · Views: 377

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    So, if someone is enterprising and can kill 2 birds (or hogs in this case) with one stone, why not?

No one is forcing you to kill hogs for a fee. Yes, it's pest eradication for the land owner, but so what?

Think the land owner should allow strangers to come onto his land like they're doing him some big favor?

You think he owes you?

Think again.

It's his land that costs a handsome sum for him to keep with taxes, maintenance, etc., but he should be grateful for your assumed and dubious generosity?

Oh, I know you feel taken advantage of by his demanding recompense allowing you to hunt on HIS land.

Here's an idea.

Buy some acreage and get back to me......

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    I think the poster you are addressing is irked by the landowner's complaint about the problem hogs but wants too much money for access to hunt them. If he truly had a serious problem he wanted addressed, he'd charge less.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    About the only way you're going to be able to hunt on someone's land for free is if you know them, and are family, a personal friend, or good friends with one of their very good friends...maybe.

As others have alluded to, having hunters on your property can often be way worse than just inconvenient: Often it ends up costing the land owner actual money, for various reasons.

Lots and lots of people will make the right noises and sounds when talking to a land owner, asking to hunt their land. More often than not, their actual actions, during and post- hunting will not match the owner's expectations, for one reason or another.

This is actually pretty danged reasonable, compared to what a LOT of places charge for hunting on their property. Langley Ranch current pricing from their website:

Minimum Price For Any Hunt= $150.00

Cleaning Fee: $25.00 Includes Use Of Walk-In Cooler And Skinning
    Facility

Lodging $25 Per Person Per Night

We Are Family Oriented.
    We Do Not Charge For Lodging Of School Age Children.

. Non-Hunters $25.00 Per Day With Hunting Party

. Blood, Bone, Guides Finding Injured Game Or Evidence Of
    Wounded Game Equal A Kill.

$150 For Hogs Not Recovered After Your Shot.
    $150.00 Per Hunter Includes:
    · One Hog Up To 100 Pounds
    · Full Guide Service
    . Predator & Varmint Hunting
    . Fishing

· If Your First Hog Weighs Over 100 Pounds It Will Result In
    An Additional $1.00 Per Pound Trophy Fee For Each lb Over 100.

Examples:
    75 lb hog = $150.00
    101 lb hog= $151.00
    115 lb hog = $165.00
    245 lb hog = $295.00
    500 lb hog = $550.00

If you want to find a place to hunt for free, you're either limited to state park hunting areas, or making friends. The best places to do the latter, imho, is church, local feed store, or FFA groups.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    About the only way you're going to be able to hunt on someone's land for free is if you know them, and are family, a personal friend, or good friends with one of their very good friends...maybe.

As others have alluded to, having hunters on your property can often be way worse than just inconvenient: Often it ends up costing the land owner actual money, for various reasons.

Lots and lots of people will make the right noises and sounds when talking to a land owner, asking to hunt their land. More often than not, their actual actions, during and post- hunting will not match the owner's expectations, for one reason or another.

This is actually pretty danged reasonable, compared to what a LOT of places charge for hunting on their property. Langley Ranch current pricing from their website:

Minimum Price For Any Hunt= $150.00

Cleaning Fee: $25.00 Includes Use Of Walk-In Cooler And Skinning
    Facility

Lodging $25 Per Person Per Night

We Are Family Oriented.
    We Do Not Charge For Lodging Of School Age Children.

. Non-Hunters $25.00 Per Day With Hunting Party

. Blood, Bone, Guides Finding Injured Game Or Evidence Of
    Wounded Game Equal A Kill.

$150 For Hogs Not Recovered After Your Shot.
    $150.00 Per Hunter Includes:
    · One Hog Up To 100 Pounds
    · Full Guide Service
    . Predator & Varmint Hunting
    . Fishing

· If Your First Hog Weighs Over 100 Pounds It Will Result In
    An Additional $1.00 Per Pound Trophy Fee For Each lb Over 100.

Examples:
    75 lb hog = $150.00
    101 lb hog= $151.00
    115 lb hog = $165.00
    245 lb hog = $295.00
    500 lb hog = $550.00

If you want to find a place to hunt for free, you're either limited to state park hunting areas, or making friends. The best places to do the latter, imho, is church, local feed store, or FFA groups.
    They were doing ok until they got to “ trophy fee” but hey , their property, their rules.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I remember 10 years ago meeting my GF's mom for the first time. She was running her dads wheat farm in Jetmore, Kansas after he got too old. Some kids that she had never met came and knocked on the door and asked if they could hunt Pheasant for a few hours. She said yes, the kids disappeared into the wheat fields and they came back 2 hrs later with a few phesant in a pillow case. They thanked her again, talked about the birds for a minute and they went on their way. The simplicity of that was really shocking to me at the time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I remember 10 years ago meeting my GF's mom for the first time. She was running her dads wheat farm in Jetmore, Kansas after he got too old. Some kids that she had never met came and knocked on the door and asked if they could hunt Pheasant for a few hours. She said yes, the kids disappeared into the wheat fields and they came back 2 hrs later with a few phesant in a pillow case. They thanked her again, talked about the birds for a minute and they went on their way. The simplicity of that was really shocking to me at the time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I grew up in the midwest. The way I learned to ask permission to hunt a farmers place was show up the end of winter early spring & offer to help them any way you could. Sure I got a lot of GTFO my property, but there were a few that a took me up on it. By Christmas time you knew the farmer well enough to bring a 5th of what he drank. Many were just happy with someone who cleared pasture of ground hogs.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I grew up in the midwest. The way I learned to ask permission to hunt a farmers place was show up the end of winter early spring & offer to help them any way you could. Sure I got a lot of GTFO my property, but there were a few that a took me up on it. By Christmas time you knew the farmer well enough to bring a 5th of what he drank. Many were just happy with someone who cleared pasture of ground hogs.

I've met more than a few kids who join FFA simply to get contact with people who own land. The smart ones (of those who didn't already come from landed families) turned those meetups into good part time jobs and some of the best hunting, for free, in their counties.

The smartest turned them into college scholarships and post-college jobs running multi-$MM agribusiness positions.

Top Bottom