• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    From Fox:

Michigan Home Depot employees build mailbox for autistic boy: 'It was perfect'
    By Madeline Farber | Fox News
    1529093116780.jpg

Cameron poses for a photo with his new mailbox. (Denise Haight)

Seven-year-old Cameron English is obsessed with mailboxes.

“He is fascinated with opening and closing the door, hiding things inside of it and raising and lowering the flag,” Denise Haight, Cameron’s grandmother, told Fox News on Friday, adding that Cameron, who has autism and is nonverbal, even has a “little people” mailbox that he places near the side of the tub when he takes a bath.

It’s because of Cameron’s fascination that Haight decided to build her grandson a personalized mailbox for his birthday. But there was one issue: she was unsure how to start the project, which two Home Depot employees in Gaylord, Michigan astutely noticed when she was at the store looking for supplies last week.

1529098515076.jpg

Two Home Depot employees show off Cameron's mailbox. (Denise Haight)

“I had an idea of what I was trying to construct -- I had gone in to get parts and pieces and try to create something. But I think they looked at me and thought, ‘she looks like she’s confused,’” Haight recalled.

That’s when the Home Depot associates -- Store Manager Gary Malak and Territory Operations Manager Lorel Woodard -- approached her, offering to help.

“I explained the story about Cameron, and that it was his birthday, and that I had an idea about what I was trying to do,” she said.

Haight said Malak and Woodard helped her to brainstorm, asking a variety of questions about material, height and more.

“Do you trust me?” Haight said Malak eventually asked her. A bit confused, Haight replied that she did. At that point, he told her to come back to the store on Saturday.

So, a few days later, Haight returned. When she arrived, Haight couldn't believe what she saw: A mailbox that was “exactly what I was imagining,” she said.

1529093244721.jpg

"Never in a million years do you think that something like that will come your way," Haight said of the kind gesture. (Denise Haight)

Haight then asked the associates how much she owed for the mailbox, as there was no price tag attached to it. But Malak was quick to inform her that it was free of charge.

“He only wanted us to tell Cameron a ‘happy birthday’ from Home Depot,” she said.

What’s more, the three employees who were commissioned to build the mailbox -- currently identified only as Gene, Laura and Don -- packed it full of toys, a small stuffed bear and a Home Depot apron for Cameron to wear.

“I cried and hugged them,” Haight said of her reaction.

On Sunday, Haight brought the mailbox to Cameron’s birthday party at a local park. After noticing the mailbox, “the look on his face was just amazing,” she said.

"Never in a million years do you think that something like that will come your way."

- Denise Haight
    In return for all the kindness, Haight said she plans to frame a collage of pictures that show the Home Depot employees building the mailbox to the point where Cameron received the gift.

“Never in a million years do you think that something like that will come your way,” Haight said of the kind gesture, adding that she and the rest of her family have been “awe-inspired” by the reactions they've received to the story.

As of Friday afternoon, Haight’s Facebook post detailing the event had more than 7,000 reactions, 3,000 shares and 600 comments.

“It’s breaking our hearts to see the kindness, even when it comes to autism itself,” she said. “Cameron is different than the other children his age, but he is such a special little boy.”

In a statement to Fox News, a representative for Home Depot said that the company "loves to hear these stories" but declined to comment further.

Malak and Woodard did not immediately respond to Fox News' request for comment.
    Capitol Armory ad

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I've known a couple like him. Special doesn't even begin to cover it. I consider my life better for having known them.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    When those boys (the athletes) came into the office with a minor issue (tardies, etc.), they got a break from me!

Wow. I got a lot of special treatment when I was in HS. Never considered why.

But a Forrest Gump type kid that went there was my buddy. Most of the kids would try to pick on him, but I took up for him.

I remember him being bullied by a group of boys one day. I just happened to have my pet snake with me. When I saw what was happening, I threw my snake in the middle of them. Hilarity ensued.

They were burning rubber to get out of there. Every boy in that school respected me. So I let them know I was Forrest's slack, so if they wanted a piece of him, they had to fight me first. They changed their mind pretty quick.

I made him sit with the "cool kids" at lunch and made sure he was in the middle of anything happening.

When the snake thing happened, one of the boys turned me in to the principle fir having the snake. Once I told him what really happened he laughed and told me not to do it again.

But sometime after that I got busted for drinking at school. No suspension, no parental inquisition, just had to sit out the next sporting event. And there were other things I got by with too. Never considered why till now.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    When the snake thing happened, one of the boys turned me in to the principle fir having the snake. Once I told him what really happened he laughed and told me not to do it again.

Today you would be kicked out of school for the entire year and the police would be called - all according to written school policy. And the principal would either: a) be scared of breaking the policy and thus follow it; or b) not even want to show any judgement and thus follow it.

Had a similar incident in junior high. Gang of a half dozen or so had just started beating on a 7th grader when my two best friends and I rounded the corner. As we started to handle the situation, one of the coaches started to walk through an intersecting hallway. The coach slowed down for a second, sized up the situation and then just kept walking. Figure the lesson would be taught and learned. Today, he also would have been in jail and probably sued.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Meh. What kind of snake?:green:

Corn snake about 2 ft long. He was very tame, great markings, and I would often take him to school and drape him around my neck. He would climb around inside my shirt, and when I walked he would stick his head out of my shirt and look around as we walked. He started out as the biology observation project, and I talked the teacher into giving him to me instead of letting him go.

About once a week I would feed him a couple bird eggs, baby birds or small frogs. I kept him in a big terrarium in my room, but one night forgot to put the lid on, and he made a break for it. Pretty sure he went out the hole for the dryer vent. He was a great pet though. Low maintenance.

Top Bottom