Join TexasGunTalk

Stock up now ???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by TexMex247, May 16, 2020.

1. TexMex247

TexMex247 Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    So, like most of us that have been doing this a while, I've seen the yo-yo market come and go over the years. Overall I'm pretty well set with my preferred selection of bullet and powder combos with most of my pet loads. All bought at reasonable costs.

Lately I've been seeing a steady rise in prices for powder and I'm not predicting anymore $8/box 9mm ammo around for a while. Although I have a few pounds already I'm wondering if now is the time to restock while it's still available ? Or do I wait it out and see if it prices relax a little in a year or so ?

I'm already ahead of things as far as primers and projectiles. It's just a question of powder availability and cost looking ahead.

Is anyone else in the same predicament?

2. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If this ammo panic/shortage is like the last one that started right after Sandy Hook, we should see prices start to come back down and availability to go back up in 12-18 months. If you can wait it out that long then you're okay. If not, buy enough to get there and beyond. But I wouldn't recommend stocking up on a large amount right now.

Disclaimer: No one can see the future :)

jordanmills likes this.
  3. lonestardiver

lonestardiver Well-Known

Dec 12, 2010
    Briar
    I think a lot will depend on the outcome of the election later this year....things may ramp up before then or immediately after.

HKaltwasser likes this.
  4. TexMex247

TexMex247 Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I was reloading just before the Obama era and remember when primers were as scarce as hen's teeth. The election does add some x factor too.

I can get through a year easy but beyond that IDK. Hate the thought of having to shoot less.

5. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun brass picker

Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    At my current rate of consumption I have about 2 years supply. I am assuming 3000-4000 rounds of 9mm a year. I was buying powder and primers over the last year every time I had money and the opportunity. I found a little gun store in a small town that had powder and primers priced 10-15% less than the big city stores. So every time I drove though I picked up as much as my allowance allowed.

Southpaw likes this.
  6. IXLR8

IXLR8 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Don’t listen to them! I know where all the $20/box 9mm ammo is. You will never run out, or have to buy all of that dangerous reloading equipment.

7. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If I were looking to load up I would do so late this summer. Let everything cool down for now but buy before the election really gets heated.

That being said if you are okay with current prices and availability then it's always a good time to buy. You never know what may happen in the near future.

toddnjoyce, Southpaw and TX OMFS like this.
  8. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    If polymer cased ammo replaces brass ammo...it will not bode well for hand loaders I fear..........

Not a fan of the idea for purely selfish purposes........

TxStetson and Fishin4guns like this.
  9. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I think polymer-cased ammo is on the same “within 10 years” timeline as cold fusion.

It’s always a decade away and never gets closer to the present.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTA89, Mycin, jordanmills and 2 others like this.
  10. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere TGT Supporter

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Give it a few to six months or so and things will start coming back to reasonable availability. Now will they be at earlier pricing, I highly doubt it. But they will, or should, come back down to a more "normal" cost.

Mycin likes this.