• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Stockman slams Cornyn’s Bloomberg Bill :

Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:49 pm | Updated: 4:53 pm, Wed Jan 8, 2014.
    Stockman slams Cornyn’s Bloomberg Bill
    [h=5]PRESS RELEASE[/h] WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Congressman Steve Stockman announced Wednesday he is organizing opposition to an anti-gun control bill to be introduced this year by U.S. Senators John Cornyn and Lindsay Graham, which appears to closely follow an Executive Order issued last Friday by President Barack Obama.

Cornyn announced the bill in an interview this month with traditionally liberal “Texas Monthly” magazine. According to Cornyn the “Graham-Cornyn Mental Health and Criminal Justice Reform Act” expands the National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS) system to include Americans who have sought treatment for mental health issues. The bill seems to be nearly identical to an Executive Order issued last Friday by Obama.
    “Cornyn’s Bloomberg Bill is the Holy Grail of gun control,” said Stockman. “Cornyn’s Bloomberg Bill is an aggressive expansion of the anti-gun agenda. Unable to ban guns they are now banning law-abiding gun owners, and Cornyn is leading the charge.”
    “John Cornyn has opened a new front in the Left's War on Guns by now seeking to ban law-abiding gun owners. Cornyn’s Bloomberg Bill is the same gun control bill demanded by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and appears to be nearly identical to Barack Obama's latest Executive Order,” said Stockman. “With Republicans like Cornyn who needs Democrats?”
    Cornyn’s examples of those to be stripped of their Second Amendment rights under his bill were people who sought treatment, but had no criminal record and had never been deemed a threat by doctors or a court.
    “It throws millions of Americans on a lifetime gun ban list without a court hearing or due process of law. Even worse, Cornyn’s Bloomberg Bill strips military veterans of their constitutional rights just for speaking to a medical professional about their combat experience,” said Stockman. “There is nothing more un-American than stripping law-abiding veterans of their constitutional rights.”
    Last year Stockman introduced the Veterans Second Amendment Protection Act (HR 577,) which requires that a judge issue an order that an individual is a danger to self or others before a veteran’s ability to receive or transport guns is taken away.
    Stockman, along with Senator Rand Paul, also introduced the Restore the Constitution Act ( HR 410) which nullifies and prohibits funding of any executive action that oversteps the President’s constitutional authority.
    “It’s a stark contrast. John Cornyn’s bill would follow Obama’s Order and ban many law-abiding veterans from owning guns. My bills block Obama’s orders and protect veterans by banning the government from taking their guns away,” said Stockman.
    Stockman is endorsed by Gun Owners of America and has a 100% lifetime rating from the NRA.
    Hurley's Gold

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Congressman Steve Stockman announced Wednesday he is organizing opposition to an anti-gun control bill to be introduced this year by U.S. Senators John Cornyn and Lindsay Graham, which appears to closely follow an Executive Order issued last Friday by President Barack Obama.

Either my reading comprehension sucks or that sentence makes no sense in context of the rest of the article.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    Big John was on the Radio with some Radio type. She was scratchin' and tryin' to get him to say something that wasn't written by a speechwriter. He ain't concerned about Stockman. Big John is endorsed the the EnAreAye. He's the most Conservative Senator in the Senate. Stockman is far down my list of replacements for Cornyn, but the smug SOB makes me wanna vote Democrat just to shut his entitled Republicant ass up.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Disappointing. I went to bat for Cornyn, against voices I respect. He can eat this bill for all I care. I'm done with him. I see he's pairing with Graham (and those like-minded Republican elders) that like to band together to work together with the Dems for compromises. However we can no longer compromise on gun control. We can give no further. We should give no further.

In these mass shootings mentally ill people got a hold of firearms that were legally and lawfully purchased by a non-mentally ill/treated people. You can't regulate that. In fact, the gov has already chosen not to regulate the mentally ill population in the US when they shut down institutions. Now where do these people go? Society. And society has no clue how the mentally ill segment of the population should be managed. Families don't know how to manage them. City/govt services don't know how to manage them. Any private facilities that know how to manage them? The ultimate question, what do you do with the mentally ill? You ether take care of them or you don't. This halfway stuff is where society is waffling.

ETA: I know the VA shooter this was issue, can't recall the specifics of each other mass murder. But I acknowledge there's a mental health background issue that comes up. It is not right to wave the wand and herd all people who have sought help/treatment or advice into this category. It'll allow abuses of denials to folks undeserving. You can't lump a person on the mild end of the spectrum with the person at the extreme other end. It's not right.

Last edited:

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    IMO the Senator is a RINO, more pro big business, Chamber of Commerce type rather then working class voters, we need a change if our middle class is to survive.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    John Cornyn is a stain on our state almost as bad as Shelia Jackson Lee

he is NOT a conservative
    he is Not a Constitutionalist

He needs to go work in the photo lab at Walgreens

Every Day Man
    Tyrant