• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • czechmate82

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi,
    I took my Stoeger Cougar 8000 9mm out to the range the other day. This was the first time I took it out to shoot to check for accuracy (first time was to plink). I noticed when I shot a box of Federal HST 124 grain +P's, that on average, I was shooting 3 inches low. When I switched to a box of standard pressure 115 grain Miwall reloads, I was back on target (and the Miwalls felt hot...I don't know why they kicked more than the HST's). Anyone know if this is because the Cougar is sighted in for 115 grain ammo at the factory, or if this is me?
    Also, any other Stoeger Cougar owners out there?
    Guns International

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's always possible, though I personally wouldn't think that a difference of only 9 grains would have any noticeable effect on POI (point of impact), let alone 3 inches. Just curious but, what distance were you shooting at? At close range like 3-10yds, even switching between regular 230gr 45acp on my Sig and my self defense ammo which is only 165gr, I never really noticed any significant difference in the POI. I realize that's an apples to oranges comparison but, still in principle I wouldn't think that the bullet weight would really be any issue at close range. If you were shooting at longer range (like 50+yds or so) it would be a different story.

More often than not, the human body can have all sorts of weird flinches when firing a gun. Some of them you might not even notice until you really focus on them. I would try shooting the gun from a rest to try and eliminate many other factors and determine if it's the gun itself.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    All part of breaking in a new gun.Try HK_fiends idea and rule out the human factor.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I had almost the same problem except my cougar shoots low with 115 WWB ammo. (Not just me everyone who shoots my gun with 115gr. WWB shoots low)

Hornady TAP ammo and even handloaded Golden Sabers shoot dead on.

Top Bottom