Stolen: Your password for TGT

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by Brains, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    This happened before the forum software switch, and I'm not sure it was ever disclosed. However, this is a good time to remind everyone about password security and why you should never re-use a password for two different websites.

https://www.troyhunt.com/i-just-added-another-140-data-breaches-to-have-i-been-pwned/

Look down on line #12. Your password from here at that time is out there for sale on the internet, and people have it.

Change your password now if you haven't already, on every website you even think you might have used it on.

ETA: Your password was stored as a salted and encrypted hash, not clear text. But, it's only math, and the algorithm for vBulletin is very well known.

2. robertc1024

robertc1024 Not That Guy TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I use a crap throwaway password on all forums.

majormadmax likes this.
  3. james.long48

james.long48 Active Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Shoot, that sucks I guess... at least now we know. Bout too sure a hacker could do with my access to TGT.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. Southpaw

Southpaw SUPER OWNER TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Texas
    I did go ahead and change my forum passwords because it was about time anyway, but I too don't use anything for vendors or forums that are even remotely similar to banking/financial, etc. Those I will change a few times a year, but I slack on places like here.

5. Southpaw

Mar 30, 2009
    Texas
    I don't know, the passwords for a few choice members might be fun to have for a few hours. :evil:

6. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Active Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    I just use two factor auth for anything worth a shit and this forum password is the same as every other forum.. so I hope they enjoy all that access.. I'm not changing it... I've damn near thought of changing my passwords to password123 just to end this nightmare... because damn.. they're just going to get stolen anyway at this point. again... anything that I have that is valuable has two factor authentication.

Southpaw likes this.
  7. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    I agree, passwords as a whole is now a functionally broken system. Pretty much if your website doesn't allow a pass phrase like "my name is oh and captain smek is awesome and anyone who does not think that is a poomp1" you're not offering much in the way of security, unless you lock the account after a very small number of incorrect attempts.

Southpaw likes this.
  8. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Thanks for the heads-up. I just changed mine from Forest to Gump.

9. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Changing your TGT password now is like closing the barn door after the horses got out. :)

pharmaco likes this.
  10. Southpaw

Mar 30, 2009
    Texas
    The barn door being that hackers can just do it again?

Bozz10mm likes this.