• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Very excited to be taking a “Stop the Bleed” first aid trauma class tonight. Waited a year for another class near me to come up.

www.dhs.gov/stopthebleed

I’m pulling homeschool administrator rank and making everyone in my family go. I’m hearing groans but they have to do it. I said so.

It’s a three hour class in the evening tonight.

ETA: forgot to mention it’s FREE training.
    Military Camp

Last edited:

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    High and tight. Practice solo care with your CAT tourniqet.
    Direct pressure if not an artery or vein bleed. Duct tape can work in a pinch for sucking chest wounds. You never know...... one of our company guys got our safety award for responding to a MVA off side of the road in Oregon. Saved the girls life because he carried a IFAK. Talked to the guy after the banquet and he was very down to earth and stated his dad was ex military and convinced him to carry a kit with him.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I need to take this class.
    Been a loooong time since my pre-med days.

Hell, even the CPR class I took recently was a bit different than what we were taught 25 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Did 1st aid and CPR refresher/training last week.
    It's a little different now. Not too much though.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    All my crew went and the class presenter was very knowledgeable and made the training engaging and interesting. It was really good.

Pj0svg.jpg

Attachments

• Pj0svg.jpg
      Pj0svg.jpg
      950.4 KB · Views: 506

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    My boys said it was a little more basic than they thought it would be.
    That was fine.
    I liked it because it was all the General stuff you probably already know from first aid but then some specific details built on top of that, and new research about how we do things now that we know better what does and doesn’t work. The trainer had his own personal preferences and trade tips that he shared in an interesting way. For example, if you are using rolled gauze to pack a wound and you start to use a second roll, tie the two loose ends together real quick so the medical staff can take it out all at once and not have any of it get lost in the patient.

Also when you are putting a CAT on and they say it hurts, you say, I’m so sorry I know it does, and probably give the bar another crank. It’s going to hurt.

I also asked if any of the info we learned really varied like in CPR does from adults to children/ babies and I got told that that was a good question and that no, this info is all good and no special considerations for kids with this topic.

Was really good to hear not to worry too much over what was used to stop a bleed, like use anything halfway clean, you don’t have to worry over being sterile or anything.
    Improvise, use what you have.

svFt6P.jpg

Attachments

• svFt6P.jpg
      svFt6P.jpg
      841 KB · Views: 440

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I’ve taken this class and think it’s a good, basic level trauma course to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I learned that if you see a wound that’s gushing blood, pack if you can pack it. Use to they just taught to put pressure over the top. That didn’t work out so great. Pressure is fine and needed to stop most bleeds, but if you see something packable, pack it.

That’s what they teach now these days.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Very excited to be taking a “Stop the Bleed” first aid trauma class tonight. Waited a year for another class near me to come up.

www.dhs.gov/stopthebleed

I’m pulling homeschool administrator rank and making everyone in my family go. I’m hearing groans but they have to do it. I said so.

It’s a three hour class in the evening tonight.

ETA: forgot to mention it’s FREE training.
    I took one yesterday at work. Very good. I recommend it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I learned that if you see a wound that’s gushing blood, pack if you can pack it. Use to they just taught to put pressure over the top. That didn’t work out so great. Pressure is fine and needed to stop most bleeds, but if you see something packable, pack it.

That’s what they teach now these days.

what do you mean by "pack it"?

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I took this course: https://www.naemt.org/education/naemt-tccc from these folks: https://www.enforcereducation.com/law-enforcement back at the end of March. I Highly, highly, highly recommend taking this course. Particularly if you are any type of Commissioned or Licensed First Responder. I also highly recommend this course, or its close sister class, TECC, for pretty much any one that carries daily as well.

When I took the course, I was the only non First Responder in the room, so not only did I get to learn the course itself, I got to learn about some of the more practical applications of who, what, when, where, etc. of what was being taught by folks that can/do actually use what was being taught on almost a daily basis.

Overall, I'll say it's some of, if not, the best, money I've ever spent.

Last edited:

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Like, about the percentage of people getting resuscitated thru CPR and live?
    1 in 20 years with probably 100 attempts.

That "one" was literally right across the street from the FD and we just happen to be standing there when the tones went out so I was able to start CPR within a minute or two of his event.

Did save a child one Christmas with smoke inhalation. Took 3 of us to do it.

Top Bottom