• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I get that but your wife should be interested in you protecting your investment in firearms as well as important paperwork or anything else of value that you will keep in there.

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Check the Craigslist ads periodically and look for one of the *commercial* safes. They are rated as TL-15, TL-30, etc. They are a lot more secure than any of the things that we normally call "gun safes". Our "safes" are really just "residential security containers", not true "safes". My "gun safe" weighs around 1600 lbs empty and is bolted to the concrete floor. It would slow someone down, but the fact of the matter is that if they are in my house and have enough time to attack it just with the tools that I keep in my garage, they could eventually defeat it. If I'm not home though, there are certain other devices that are enabled that might deter a trespasser.

Beware of engineers with too much free time on their hands... :)

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Check the Craigslist ads periodically and look for one of the *commercial* safes. They are rated as TL-15, TL-30, etc. They are a lot more secure than any of the things that we normally call "gun safes". Our "safes" are really just "residential security containers", not true "safes". My "gun safe" weighs around 1600 lbs empty and is bolted to the concrete floor. It would slow someone down, but the fact of the matter is that if they are in my house and have enough time to attack it just with the tools that I keep in my garage, they could eventually defeat it. If I'm not home though, there are certain other devices that are enabled that might deter a trespasser.

Beware of engineers with too much free time on their hands... :)
    So, are you saying you have boobie traps set?

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    So, are you saying you have boobie traps set?

No, I'm saying that I have an "active security system" with multiple layers of defense, some active, some passive. Penetration of each layer would result in more discomfort than the previous layer. Even something as simple as planting yuccas or sega palms around all your windows will discourage many of the less dedicated burglars. Large dogs that bark aggressively at strangers will also discourage many, even if the dogs would be their best friend if they were to just toss them a dog treat. :)

The building itself is secured with window opening sensors, motion sensors, and light sensors. Internet and SMS messages are sent out when any activity is detected in the zones. As far as the interior active portions of the system, let's just say that they could be rather loud and noxious even at the lowest perimeter level. You really don't want to be in a room where a 12-gauge shell that was reloaded full of cayenne pepper has gone off.

Yeah, I had a bit too much time on my hands...

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Out of curiosity, are your dogs indoor or outdoor dogs?

Although I *sometimes* let them come inside and they have never "had an accident" while inside, they are mainly outside dogs (pit bulls). If need be, I can be gone for over a month at a time and they will be automatically fed and watered without anyone coming around. If I'm going to be gone that long though, I usually have a relative or neighbor come around and check on them every week or two. The only thing that doesn't happen automatically is their monthly heart worm preventative injection.

If they were inside dogs and I left them inside with the system armed, there's a possibility that they would set the system off since certain portions of the system were designed to be triggered at levels low enough that would encounter. I prefer low maintenance dogs and as such, I will never have one that is an inside dog.

Tremors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    I had a friend used an old freezer bolted to the ground and it had a door lock on it. He took all the racks out of the freezer with some wooden racks and ran a dehumidifier so it looked plugged in. Hope this helps.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom