• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’d like to out up a storage shed in my new backyard. Probably around 8x12.

Costco sells a nice wood one, that I’d have to assemble and paint, for about $1100.

Do you guys have any affordable recos in that price range?

Also, I’m thinking my foundation options are concrete, or gravel. Either one with a raised floor for the shed.

But would love to hear what the best option is, from a value/quality perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Venture Surplus ad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If I was doing it I'd raise it up on concrete blocks, 4 x 16 x16 (or 8x8x12) and build it out of wood. You can buy the materials yourself for less than $1100. Just my two bits. You can find used stuff (doors, windows, lumber, etc.) relatively cheap at a Habitat store. We used to build a bunch of them for on-site job shacks/office. We'd put 4 x 6 skids under them and drag them up on a flat bed truck when we moved them for job to job.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    My recommendation, although may cost 3 times that, is a pre built shed. You can often find them insulated with electrical hook up and could be used as a shop. They come on skids so foundation isn't a concern. Many have a window that an air conditioner can be installed.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

Costco sells a nice wood one, that I’d have to assemble and paint, for about $1100.

Also, I’m thinking my foundation options are concrete, or gravel. Either one with a raised floor for the shed.

But would love to hear what the best option is, from a value/quality perspective.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

It is a good one, I have it behind my barn. It sets on 4x4's and concrete blocks so you don't need a pad, just a piece of level ground. I had to level out the ground, its has to be within 6" of level and I had to backhoe the space for where I put it then level it, its very nice, well built!

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    If you're going spend that much, look at getting a shipping container. A wee lil' bit, just a tad, longer than 12' but, all metal and hurricane proof.

Or, if you have the ability, build one yourself for cheaper.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Last one I looked at, some five or so years ago, was about a grand for a decent, used 53'. I'm still debating that idea for myself.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Conex boxes come in many lengths, some are built for different uses, haven't priced them lately though.

There's a place along 190 in Nolanville that sells the storage containers. Big ones, medium and the small ones. The places that sell the prebuilt sheds are like a rent to own store. They will break the interest off in your rear side. Repo it if you miss a payment. Lowe's sells the kits. Everything you'd need. Assembly required.

I've been wanting a shed myself. I don't know if the city will throw a fit if I had a shipping container in the backyard. I haven't seen anybody do it even though there's that container place down the road. Which they'll deliver.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Shipping container is a no-go.
    I’ve got to get it permitted and that won’t fly with the city, and they’re sticklers about appearance.

If I have it on a raised foundation, do I just build dirt up, or maybe a ramp, to get a riding mower into it?

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Here's the one I built for my lake house last year.
    Designed it myself and still have the drawings and material list if you're interested.
    Took me and helper about four days, start to paint ... between fishing.
    Be a lot faster on level ground.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Shipping container is a no-go.
    I’ve got to get it permitted and that won’t fly with the city, and they’re sticklers about appearance.
    If I have it on a raised foundation, do I just build dirt up, or maybe a ramp, to get a riding mower into it?

Built a few of them down through the years for clients as afterthoughts during a remodel.

City's can be a PITA, but not nearly as bad as an HOA.

Biggest problems I ran across getting shed's permitted was square footage limitations, and height limitation (some HOA's require they be no higher that the tallest fence allowed).

Obviously, find out before you finalize plans for build or purchase.

In all cases, a plan of some sort is a must and with HOA's color, materials and even roof choice must pass muster.

Wouldn't worry too much about a ramp. A ramp is easy to build, you can even incorporate the ramp and door together. Not to mention the ramps you can buy ready made for loading ATV's into trucks and trailers will work if you take that into account from the get go.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I'm going to have a shed built in the furthest back part of my side yard. HOA rules specify it can't be visible from the street, so in preparation, when I had portions of my fence replaced, I had the guy built the front portion about 18" taller and then the portion that ran back to an older section tapers down to that height. With the perspective, you can't tell.

Anyway, I'll probably have it built on-site and probably not as tall overall as I might prefer, but tall enough to stand inside. Probably have a single-slope roof with an overhang for my 10KW diesel genset. The shed will have AC and I envision it could be where I do my reloading and have some misc. storage as well.

Site prep will be some gravel laid down on the already-level site, then concrete poured. The site is within twenty feet of house's breaker box, which I plan on having replaced and improved. It will tie in the genset so that I can readily go from the grid to emergency power. Simple and nice short run.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    A friend wanted to put a storage building in his back yard (small area). He figured a 10/20 would be just the right size. Contacted the city and that size required a 3' setback from the back fence. Hummm checked further and under 100 sq ft required no setback. So he built 2 8x12's and had room for a third, no permit required. Up against back fence.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Back on topic I recently built a 12x16 (3 sheets of plywood wide and 2 long) The material cost was abt $1600 and it's on skids which means it's portable and didn't affect my property value. Not considered a permanent improvement. Food for thought.

Top Bottom