Just added another to the stable....
    Merry early Christmas to me!

9d19bd98d99aca7a0be596e083021daf.image.505x550.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I have been really wanting to start using a straight razor but didn't know where to start. Could you give me some advice on what a good one to start with would be?

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I have been really wanting to start using a straight razor but didn't know where to start. Could you give me some advice on what a good one to start with would be?

If you are unsure, look into a "sight unseen" from Whipped Dog.
    They are ugly, but functional. So it's a very cheap way to give it a test drive for about half the price of a brand new razor. AND they are shave ready....

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Some shopping malls have a "high end" shaving store, The Art of Shaving, in them. You can ask about straight razors there. They're more than glad to tell you about them.

My straight razor with a ram's horn handle:

2ucb.jpg

The Art of Shaving stores are nice, but the razors they sell are not shave ready, no matter if the factory says they are...a mass produced razor will never shave as good as one that has been made shave ready by a honemeister.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

Straightrazorplace.com is a good place to start. As earlier said. Anything from a store will need the edge cleaned up. Before you shave with it, but I've had great luck with the classifieds there.

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    I would be afraid of bleeding out if I tried useing one. I am spoiled with my 37 blade Bic...lol

I'm in the same boat! I'd really like to use one but I'm afraid to get into straight razors as a hobby. For one reason, I already have enough hobbies to spend money on. Secondly, the cutting myself thing.

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    Unless you spaz, you don't cut yourself very bad...
    A good friend collects/uses straight razors, he sent me a nice Dorko (I laugh every time I say that name) for Christmas last year. It looks real nice but I'm not into the whole sharpening, stropping, and cutting myself thing so he is sending me a Rolls Razor this year. He says even I can't screw that up!

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    A good friend collects/uses straight razors, he sent me a nice Dorko (I laugh every time I say that name) for Christmas last year. It looks real nice but I'm not into the whole sharpening, stropping, and cutting myself thing so he is sending me a Rolls Razor this year. He says even I can't screw that up!

Dorko's are supposed to be awesome.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    My new razor.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387311195030.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1387311195030.jpg
      31.2 KB · Views: 291